NFL: Brandon Aiyuk requests trade

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I thought he had done that a while back, or was that just an unofficial request? Maybe just a suggestion?
He wants his guaranteed money now. Late first rounder. Done in by the PA agreeing to a 5th year option vs all other rounds getting to be free agents (though, I think SF would have franchise tagged him) if that was their only remaining option, like Cincy did to Higgins.

See how this plays out... He does have a valid contract from the 5th year option so missing any camp time will cost him money in fines.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
He wants his guaranteed money now. Late first rounder. Done in by the PA agreeing to a 5th year option vs all other rounds getting to be free agents (though, I think SF would have franchise tagged him) if that was their only remaining option, like Cincy did to Higgins.

See how this plays out... He does have a valid contract from the 5th year option so missing any camp time will cost him money in fines.

Yeah it is always about the money, and more specifically the guaranteed cash, that is never in doubt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why exactly are 49ers not giddying up to pay him?

Seems to have improved every year in league and last year established himself as one of the top WR's

Just turned 26 and is the 49ers true #1 with Samuel decline over last 2 years and always seeming to be banged up

+ Samuel outside of his 1 big year hasn't shown himself to be a #1 so it may have been an anomaly one off season

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why exactly are 49ers not giddying up to pay him?

Seems to have improved every year in league and last year established himself as one of the top WR's

Just turned 26 and is the 49ers true #1 with Samuel decline over last 2 years and always seeming to be banged up

+ Samuel outside of his 1 big year hasn't shown himself to be a #1 so it may have been an anomaly one off season
Hard to say. I recall last season SF was re-negotiating with several players like Kittle and others to free up cap room (for 2023 and likely 2024), but they were not taking pay cuts. So, who knows what they have budgeted in dead cap in the coming years. Even if they dealt Deebo today, he'd still count around $21 mill in dead cap ($15 mill in SB and $6 mill in option left to hit the cap), which is $7 mill less than his current cap hit this season. SF probably regrets doing his deal when he made his fuss a couple of seasons ago.

John Price

actually played baseball
Sep 19, 2008
Washington may be interested but the playbook is not to look too eager or interested. Let them come to you.

Don't offer them immediately. Heck I would not even offer them any draft capital this offseason at all. He is a FA after the season anyway. If they wanted him that bad they would sign him then.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If Aiyuk wants to get paid and get paid now, go to a team with an up and coming QB with cap space to accommodate.

Washington is one, who else?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Aiyuk wants to get paid and get paid now, go to a team with an up and coming QB with cap space to accommodate.

Wash already has McCluerin. And drafted Dotson in round 1, 3 drafts ago, going into year 3. I think Wash should be ok at WR.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Sharks and Niners fan here.

I'm convinced what is happening here is that the Niners intend to go all out to win the Super Bowl this year, and are content to simply let Aiyuk walk next offseason because they can't afford him past this season. I don't think the Niners care about "good asset management" right now, they just want to get Super Bowl Win #6 with this group.

Of course Aiyuk doesn't like that, because in the NFL (unlike other leagues), players don't love having a show off contract year to earn a big free agency contract because of the injury risk. They already want their fat contract now to remove the risk.

Given my belief above, I don't think the Niners are going to honor the trade request. If Aiyuk wants to sit, that's his choice, but then he won't earn his guaranteed $14M this season. For me, coming from a Sharks is my #1 team POV (i.e., hockey-focused perspective), I think Aiyuk just needs to suck it up and play out his contract and ball out for a Super Bowl and then get a fat free agency contract next season. (Or face the possibility of a Niners franchise tag next offseason, which I don't think will happen, but if it does, maybe then you sit out until you get a trade/contract).

Reactions: Peat

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If it is time, then it is time. Let someone else pay him if you don't want to, unless he's on board with playing it out. But if that was happening, he wouldn't request the trade.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I'm convinced what is happening here is that the Niners intend to go all out to win the Super Bowl this year, and are content to simply let Aiyuk walk next offseason because they can't afford him past this season. I don't think the Niners care about "good asset management" right now, they just want to get Super Bowl Win #6 with this group.

Of course Aiyuk doesn't like that, because in the NFL (unlike other leagues), players don't love having a show off contract year to earn a big free agency contract because of the injury risk. They already want their fat contract now to remove the risk.

Given my belief above, I don't think the Niners are going to honor the trade request. If Aiyuk wants to sit, that's his choice, but then he won't earn his guaranteed $14M this season. For me, coming from a Sharks is my #1 team POV (i.e., hockey-focused perspective), I think Aiyuk just needs to suck it up and play out his contract and ball out for a Super Bowl and then get a fat free agency contract next season. (Or face the possibility of a Niners franchise tag next offseason, which I don't think will happen, but if it does, maybe then you sit out until you get a trade/contract).
I would think that your SF 49ers would need to guarantee Aiyuk that they won't tag him after the season. That he can be a legit complete free agent. Probably the only way your plan can work.
Otherwise, he would assume all of the risk only to get another 1 year contract via the tag.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I would think that your SF 49ers would need to guarantee Aiyuk that they won't tag him after the season. That he can be a legit complete free agent. Probably the only way your plan can work.
Otherwise, he would assume all of the risk only to get another 1 year contract via the tag.

Ok, but they don't have to do that. Aiyuk has no leverage here. Is he going to sit out the season and not earn $14M now?

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain

Patriots … most cap space in the league, need a true #1 WR, former 49er Kendrick Bourne has been trying to recruit him, and Drake Maye has looked really impressive even if he sits for a year.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Deebo 2.0. Remove 49ers from friend lists on social media, request a trade, get paid, act like it never happened

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Patriots … most cap space in the league, need a true #1 WR, former 49er Kendrick Bourne has been trying to recruit him, and Drake Maye has looked really impressive even if he sits for a year.

In a vacuum it's exactly what they need to do. Unfortunately Kraft is way too cheap to approve a move like that. Hell it's why a 4 win team with $100m in cap space went out in free agency and only re-signed their own same crappy players and brought in no major outside talent.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
In a vacuum it's exactly what they need to do. Unfortunately Kraft is way too cheap to approve a move like that. Hell it's why a 4 win team with $100m in cap space went out in free agency and only re-signed their own same crappy players and brought in no major outside talent.
The talent they need, OT and WR, wasn’t available. Both those positions had horrible depth in free agency, plus why would the top free agents want to come to a 4 win team without (at the time) a QB? And the players they re-signed weren’t the problem, it’s players they need to cut/trade with garbage contracts that Bill signed that are the problem with this team. Out of curiosity, what re-signings don’t you like?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Latest rumor is Aiyuk for Davante Adams.
Gets Adams out of Vegas, and gives Raiders a replacement they can sigh long-term.
And Adams, if anything, is still the better WR short-term.

Could work.

But other than something like that happening, don't see the 49ers trading him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
LV takes it on the chin cap wise. $24 mill to account for in SB and restructure for them so that would be dead cap if he’s traded along with them paying Aiyuk. Vs the $25 mill cap charge that Adams is for this season.

But he’s a $35 mill base and $44 mill cap charge for 2025 so he will need to redo his contract in the off season.

This for SF Adams would be a rental and would have leverage in negotiations as he’s due the $35 mill base in 2025. Either he gets new guaranteed money or he’s a monster cap charge for them.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He wants security. What if he has a debilitating injury in week one this season? It could hurt his market next off season.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
He wants security. What if he has a debilitating injury in week one this season? It could hurt his market next off season.

I understand that, I'm just saying I understand the Niners position that they want to go for the Super Bowl this year and are happy to let him walk after this season.

Yeah he wants security, but if he refuses to play, he won't get his $14M this season. He doesn't have leverage to demand that security. And the Niners don't have cap space in the future to give it to him anyways, which is the ultimate point. He's a cap casualty that normally a team would trade because that's "Good asset management," but here the Niners, much like the 2021 Rams, are going all out for the Super Bowl and don't care about good asset management.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I understand that, I'm just saying I understand the Niners position that they want to go for the Super Bowl this year and are happy to let him walk after this season.

Yeah he wants security, but if he refuses to play, he won't get his $14M this season. He doesn't have leverage to demand that security. And the Niners don't have cap space in the future to give it to him anyways, which is the ultimate point. He's a cap casualty that normally a team would trade because that's "Good asset management," but here the Niners, much like the 2021 Rams, are going all out for the Super Bowl and don't care about good asset management.
SF waited too long to move him. The time to trade him was before the draft. But, WR are really a coin flip of succeeding or not when it comes to draft picks turning out either in round 1 or 2. Even the draft that produced Aiyuk, had Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Reagor, Jefferson in round 1. Probably 3 are legit 1 WR on most clubs. Ruggs is a never know. Reagor a bust and Jeudy, is just ok.

In round 2, it was Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, Van Jefferson, Mims. Higgins and Pittman the best of round 2. Higgins got tagged, Pittman signed with Indy. the others are all on other teams as they have hit free agency or moved in prior years.

So, if SF got a 2 and 3 for him, still very much a coin flip at best to get a productive WR. Now, they deal with this. They can get through most of the regular season without him. See where this standoff ends up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad