NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Maple Leafs' Auston Matthews to take over captaincy from John Tavares

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm not a cap expert but I imagine Kuznetsov leaving helps the Canes?

Pavelski had a great career, and the Stars will miss his leadership. I saw a piece on him during the playoffs on how he took in Wyatt Johnston, who was closer in age to Pavelski's son.

Congrats to the Florida Panthers; you earned it. But I wouldn't mind a huge trade for some team so we can get a new title for this thread. ;)

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

I honestly thought the NBA and MLB would be much further ahead than the NHL. Still pretty significant, but funny to compare some of the contracts given out in those leagues compared to the NHL... Star player in the NHL makes in a career what Derrick White is going to make in the next 4 years.

Absolutely brutal.

Was just about to post this - hoping the best for him. Really great guy. I saw him on Pasta's instagram story a few days ago and know he is still really close with the B's.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I honestly thought the NBA and MLB would be much further ahead than the NHL. Still pretty significant, but funny to compare some of the contracts given out in those leagues compared to the NHL... Star player in the NHL makes in a career what Derrick White is going to make in the next 4 years.

Was just about to post this - hoping the best for him. Really great guy. I saw him on Pasta's instagram story a few days ago and know he is still really close with the B's.
I think he has a house in Boston or down the cape. I hope he's able to rehab it and play this season but honestly, I'd rather have the surgery even if it meant I couldn't play.

Reactions: Dellstrom

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lots of room for growth lol

Slightly different numbers (calculated season-to-season) but the NHL has seen a 75% growth in revenue over the past 10 seasons. 3.7 billion in 2013-14 to 6.43 billion in 2022-23.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
Slightly different numbers (calculated season-to-season) but the NHL has seen a 75% growth in revenue over the past 10 seasons. 3.7 billion in 2013-14 to 6.43 billion in 2022-23.

Sorry I meant specifically for TV Revenue

Reactions: BruinDust

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Extraordinary. If you'd told me that the NFL only generates 3x the revenue of the NHL, I'd not have believed you.

Granted $18B to $6B is entirely different to $18M to $6M (a billion is a biiiiiiiiiiiig number). But still, I'm somewhat surprised.
Same here, I would have guessed 10x the revenue.

Reactions: Number8

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Extraordinary. If you'd told me that the NFL only generates 3x the revenue of the NHL, I'd not have believed you.

Granted $18B to $6B is entirely different to $18M to $6M (a billion is a biiiiiiiiiiiig number). But still, I'm somewhat surprised.

The impressive number to me is how close they are to the NBA. Yes, the NBA is above them by 4 billion, but both leagues run similar schedules (70-82 games + playoffs), in similar sized arenas, during largely the same time of the year.

Then consider the cost to operate an NBA team in terms of player salaries, not even in the same ballpark no pun intended.

Shows the NHL's overall business model is very sound. Revenues are up 7.5% year over year on average for the past 10 years meanwhile player salaries have been kept under control.

All the hate Bettman gets but the proof is in the pudding as they say. His bosses no doubt are very pleased.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The impressive number to me is how close they are to the NBA. Yes, the NBA is above them by 4 billion, but both leagues run similar schedules (70-82 games + playoffs), in similar sized arenas, during largely the same time of the year.

Then consider the cost to operate an NBA team in terms of player salaries, not even in the same ballpark no pun intended.

Shows the NHL's overall business model is very sound. Revenues are up 7.5% year over year on average for the past 10 years meanwhile player salaries have been kept under control.

All the hate Bettman gets but the proof is in the pudding as they say. His bosses no doubt are very pleased.
People shit on Bettman more out of habit, than any specific thing he's actually done wrong. He'll be a mortal lock for the HoF.

Ziegler was 100x worse.....

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad