HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Laine, Dach inserted in the top 6, that’s pretty significant.

Add Hutson to the blue line and gone is the 3 goalie system.

Newhook for 70+ games and Slaf not playing like ass for the first 25 games should lead to more victories

Same team but not really
Love the insert LP

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
13:47 of ice time, almost never with Suzuki nor even Newhook, does not look like preferential treatment. His centers were most often Evans or Dvorak.

Do you have any examples EVER of a guy extended at $2M with only 2 games NHL experience?

Maybe not. But the guy is good and I would gladly take that chance. So was Armstrong. 2 million per for only 2 years for a good prospect like that is nothing.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The focus should now shift at dumping bad contracts a.k.a Josh Anderson and Gallagher.

Not much of a $ issue, more that they take a spot on the lineup from our youngsters.

They're not gonna do that until one of those youngsters actually push their way into the NHL. At the moment, Roy can be on the roster and we still kind of have another bottom 6 spot available for someone to take it.

Even then you've got Dvorak and Armia gone at the conclusion of this season as well, so that's 2 more spots that open up after a year in the AHL and obviousy Demidov coming over.

No rush to get them off the team nor pay to get them off (where the cost you pay his higher with how many remaining years are on a contract) as much as none of us actually want to watch them play.

Anderson, however, will be largely more palatable with his game being on the 3rd line vs playing in the top 6.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The focus should now shift at dumping bad contracts a.k.a Josh Anderson and Gallagher.

Not much of a $ issue, more that they take a spot on the lineup from our youngsters.
Guys who got to go are
Dvo
Savard
Gally

I’ll give Anderson this year to prove he belongs in this group otherwise I’d try to move him in the off-season. His combination of size and speed is still enticing and with the right mindset, he can still be a good middle six player IMO. Same goes with Armia who’s in the same boat. They both add good size and can play a roll on and off the ice. Still need some vets on the team so why not the bigger more useful types if they can show they belong.

Reactions: bsl

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
They're not gonna do that until one of those youngsters actually push their way into the NHL. At the moment, Roy can be on the roster and we still kind of have another bottom 6 spot available for someone to take it.

Even then you've got Dvorak and Armia gone at the conclusion of this season as well, so that's 2 more spots that open up after a year in the AHL and obviousy Demidov coming over.

No rush to get them off the team nor pay to get them off (where the cost you pay his higher with how many remaining years are on a contract) as much as none of us actually want to watch them play.

Anderson, however, will be largely more palatable with his game being on the 3rd line vs playing in the top 6.
Could help Andersons game. He is strictly North-South and adding anything does not work. So let him sail up the wing and try to get there with the puck and cut in to the net, and that with going to the net without the puck maybe he can get back up to 20, and we trade him at the TDL.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
13:47 of ice time, almost never with Suzuki nor even Newhook, does not look like preferential treatment. His centers were most often Evans or Dvorak.
Gallagher had approximately 20 games with Monahan to start off the season. When that line stopped producing because Monahan couldn't carry him and Pearson no more they for a random reason promoted him by giving roughly 5 games with Suzuki.

He played the rest of the season bottom 6 but after that article by Stu Cowen about his 4th line usage he got promoted again a few games later by getting approximately 15 games with Newhook.

Between the 3 of them that's more or less half of the season playing with a quality center. Add in the PP minutes that he's got no business receiving and it becomes obvious he's getting favorable treatment. All this while having a team leading -24.

The Armia treatment should have happened a long time ago. Especially after all those dumb game losing penalties but Gallagher keeps getting rewarded instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Guys who got to go are
Dvo
Savard
Gally

I’ll give Anderson this year to prove he belongs in this group otherwise I’d try to move him in the off-season. His combination of size and speed is still enticing and with the right mindset, he can still be a good middle six player IMO. Same goes with Armia who’s in the same boat. They both add good size and can play a roll on and off the ice. Still need some vets on the team so why not the bigger more useful types if they can show they belong.
Savard should be re-signed.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Guys who got to go are
Dvo
Savard
Gally

Armia is a talented possession beast with confidence issues. Still 17g in 66 gp. + player on those miserable habs. Fun to watch, can pass, shoot, dangle…

Anderson is a -18, low scoring no-iq play-killing teammate-dragging dead weight. Been 2 years waiting on some « rebound ». Team is better with him on the bench or ahl. Pay someone to take him off the team.

They don’t belong in any comparison beyond size. Mindset does not magically give Anderson talent.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Mailloux and Reinbacher will need major NHL minutes sooner rather than later.. now it's possible they re-sign Savard for shorter terms at lower money to be a 3rd pair D rather than have Barron there, for example.
Yes, that's what I think, there's a possibility of Savard staying another few years, whereby he gradually transitions to the third pairing.

Hughes has a lot of options right now, and we don't know what the trade market will look like around the deadline not do we know how healthy the team will be.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes, that's what I think, there's a possibility of Savard staying another few years, whereby he gradually transitions to the third pairing.

Hughes has a lot of options right now, and we don't know what the trade market will look like around the deadline not do we know how healthy the team will be.

It's going to be fun - one thing is I don't think management is as quick to jettison the veterans as the fan base are. I'm sure they'll foster the internal competition and look for chances to add talent from outside the organization as well.

We know they aren't afraid to be aggressive or be in on anything and everything. But we do know they set their limits and won't go outside of it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
IMO, the best case scenario for the Habs D, in the short term,

Start the season with Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj, Struble, and waiver pickup in the NHL; and with Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, Trudeau, etc in the AHL;

Hope and pray for the best possible health;

Explore trade options near the trade deadline;

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Savard should be re-signed.
No thank you.
Savard doesn't have to go.
He does. There’s no room once Reinbacher and Mailloux move to a full time roll.

I’m not willing to sacrifice Barron to make room for Savard. Even if Barron drops the ball I’d still rather trade both and get a better, younger RHD than what Savard offers. They have the cap, the assets and the ability to improve the blue line over what Savard offers.
Armia is a talented possession beast with confidence issues. Still 17g in 66 gp. + player on those miserable habs. Fun to watch, can pass, shoot, dangle…

Anderson is a -18, low scoring no-iq play-killing teammate-dragging dead weight. Been 2 years waiting on some « rebound ». Team is better with him on the bench or ahl. Pay someone to take him off the team.

They don’t belong in any comparison beyond size. Mindset does not magically give Anderson talent.
They’re completely different types of players. Anderson should produce more offence as he has in the past. IF he can get 20+ goals and be a physical force in the offensive zone as he can, he’s a far more valuable player than Armia.

As it is, they are both incredibly inconsistent though Armia’s cap hit makes his inconsistency more tolerable than Anderson but there’s a reason Anderson got the bigger contract.

At their worst, Armia>Anderson. At their best Anderson>>Armia. Hence the IF Anderson can get back to what he is capable of doing and be more consistent then I’d keep him. If not, blow a pick and retain salary to move him once a youngster takes his spot in the lineup. Same for Armia.

Reactions: bsl

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I’m not willing to sacrifice Barron to make room for Savard.

I haven't seen anybody suggest that we sacrifice Barron to make room for Savard.

If Barron goes, he shouldn't be sacrificed, he should be part of a trade.

For example, if Reinbacher, Mailloux, and Barron each do very well this year, Hughes has the option of trading one of Barron or Mailloux for a king's ransom, and keeping Savard as the third pairing RHD of the future.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I haven't seen anybody suggest that we sacrifice Barron to make room for Savard.

For example, if Reinbacher, Mailloux, and Barron each do very well this year, Hughes has the option of trading one of Barron or Mailloux for a king's ransom, and keeping Savard as the third pairing RHD of the future.

We’re just not going to agree on this. I don’t have Savard having anywhere near the value you have for him or importance to the lineup. I think there are better options that can be had via trade to replace him and add a higher quality vet to the lineup should the need arise. If all 3 youngsters do well, trade Savard at the TDL for the best deal. If you can get a kings ransom for Mailloux or Barron and add a significantly better RD, then I’d trade the kid AND Savard for the one better piece to solidify the blue line.

Savard is the least essential D on the Habs for me.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
No thank you.

He does. There’s no room once Reinbacher and Mailloux move to a full time roll.

I’m not willing to sacrifice Barron to make room for Savard. Even if Barron drops the ball I’d still rather trade both and get a better, younger RHD than what Savard offers. They have the cap, the assets and the ability to improve the blue line over what Savard offers.

They’re completely different types of players. Anderson should produce more offence as he has in the past. IF he can get 20+ goals and be a physical force in the offensive zone as he can, he’s a far more valuable player than Armia.

As it is, they are both incredibly inconsistent though Armia’s cap hit makes his inconsistency more tolerable than Anderson but there’s a reason Anderson got the bigger contract.

At their worst, Armia>Anderson. At their best Anderson>>Armia. Hence the IF Anderson can get back to what he is capable of doing and be more consistent then I’d keep him. If not, blow a pick and retain salary to move him once a youngster takes his spot in the lineup. Same for Armia.
Well I completely disagree with your player eval and their worth to the team.. Anderson drags his teammates down and is completely incapable of reading the play — it’s not new. He rode his physical attributes alone for years. Complete misfit with the team whatever his stats turn out like this year. I really hope he’s gone before camp somehow.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

If you re-sign Savard and have Reinbacher and Mailloux on the right side, what happens to Barron?

You already have Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, and Struble on the left side so what else is there to do with Barron other than trade him?

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014

If we don't trade Savy and he wants to take a sweetheart deal to stay in the game and at home, nothing wrong with him being a 3rd pairing guy or 7th D man moving forward for another year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If we don't trade Savy and he wants to take a sweetheart deal to stay in the game and at home, nothing wrong with him being a 3rd pairing guy or 7th D man moving forward for another year.
But there will be too many D’s and someone will have to go unless you carry 9 D. Guhle, Mathews, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Reinbacher, Barron, Mailloux, and Savard. It’s not tenable once kids force their way into the lineup.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
But there will be too many D’s and someone will have to go unless you carry 9 D. Guhle, Mathews, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Reinbacher, Barron, Mailloux, and Savard. It’s not tenable once kids force their way into the lineup.
We're going to have to make a decision on some of the young guys eventually. Use them as trade pieces to fill other areas of need, like Harris. They won't want to be practice players or AHL'ers for life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad