HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Buff seemed to be a guy that played hockey because he happened to be good at it.

I think he would rather be on a boat somewhere catching fish and just decided that he had enough hockey.
Buff said precisely that when he announced he was done w NHL pro hockey, he wanted to stay on his boat and go fishing. He still occasionally subs / plays in the summer league NHLers have in Minny w other pro sports athletes also joining in…. think it’s called Da Beauty League. John Scott is the player / Commish and Danny Kristo (remember him?) is one of the coaches

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
so trade savard, trade for letang, sign crosby after contract?
I imagine many Habs fans would do that in a second. Lol

If Letang helps acquire Crosby at deadline I'm all for it. Probably package Savard in this trade? If he fetchs a first Pitt can flip him. Same as giving Pens a first. Maybe include Dvorak? Same as giving them a 2nd. That's a first and second for Crosby plus take on Letang

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
if it guarentees you crosby, do you do it?

How's the deal work out and what contract is Crosby going for?

Because moves like those change the math for Montreal dramatically. Letang is signed through his age 40 season, its pretty risky that the game of a guy with his medical history will age better than almost every elite to near elite D-man of the last 30 years. You also have to sign Crosby at 38 for definitely big salary (zero problem with that) and potentially term (may be an issue). What's adding 16-20 mil in AAV do to this team in one offseason, especially when it lines up to new contracts for other guys?

You'd need at least 50% retention on Letang while not giving up anything of value and you probably end up trading Dach somewhere. You're also basically committed to that path moving forward with no flexibility for the next couple of years.

I just don't see how it could work in a way that Pittburgh would be on board with.

I imagine many Habs fans would do that in a second. Lol

If Letang helps acquire Crosby at deadline I'm all for it. Probably package Savard in this trade? If he fetchs a first Pitt can flip him. Same as giving Pens a first. Maybe include Dvorak? Same as giving them a 2nd. That's a first and second for Crosby plus take on Letang

Dubas would piss himself laughing at that offer. There is a very slight chance Savard would have the value of a 1st as a rental, there is almost no chance Dvorak will have the value of a 2nd. And if Pittburgh is selling, they're not taking guys to flip, they're taking futures. Montreal would need to do the legwork.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
How's the deal work out and what contract is Crosby going for?

Because moves like those change the math for Montreal dramatically. Letang is signed through his age 40 season, its pretty risky that the game of a guy with his medical history will age better than almost every elite to near elite D-man of the last 30 years. You also have to sign Crosby at 38 for definitely big salary (zero problem with that) and potentially term (may be an issue). What's adding 16-20 mil in AAV do to this team in one offseason, especially when it lines up to new contracts for other guys?

You'd need at least 50% retention on Letang while not giving up anything of value and you probably end up trading Dach somewhere. You're also basically committed to that path moving forward with no flexibility for the next couple of years.

I just don't see how it could work in a way that Pittburgh would be on board with.

Dubas would piss himself laughing at that offer. There is a very slight chance Savard would have the value of a 1st as a rental, there is almost no chance Dvorak will have the value of a 2nd. And if Pittburgh is selling, they're not taking guys to flip, they're taking futures. Montreal would need to do the legwork.
Crosby, like Letang, has a full no move clause. He can decide where he will go, removing all leverage for Dubas.
If the Habs take Letang's contract along with Crosby, that should also lessen any return PIT may get for Crosby.
It's more about granting the wishes of those guys anyway, out of respect.
Like with Patrick Kane when Chicago traded him to NYR for only a 2nd, or something like that.
That's the only way i can see the Habs doing this, if those guys force their way to MTL.
I don't think they'd give significant assets for a short term fix.

I think Letang medical history could be used as an advantage. He'd have a good justification to go on LTIR after 2 years.
Otherwise it doesn't work for the Habs.

Not sure why the Habs would have to trade Dach. They'd need him to play with Crosby.
But i agree that Savard doesn't make sense for PIT.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Crosby, like Letang, has a full no move clause. He can decide where he will go, removing all leverage for Dubas.
If the Habs take Letang's contract along with Crosby, that should also lessen any return PIT may get for Crosby.
It's more about granting the wishes of those guys anyway, out of respect.
Like with Patrick Kane when Chicago traded him to NYR for only a 2nd, or something like that.
That's the only way i can see the Habs doing this, if those guys force their way to MTL.
I don't think they'd give significant assets for a short term fix.

I think Letang medical history could be used as an advantage. He'd have a good justification to go on LTIR after 2 years.
Otherwise it doesn't work for the Habs.

Not sure why the Habs would have to trade Dach. They'd need him to play with Crosby.
But i agree that Savard doesn't make sense for PIT.

If Crosby is being traded at the deadline/in season, it will be to win a cup. Kane wanted to win a cup, not go to one specific team (which is why he's not still a Ranger).

Letang also has the history that lets him just retire, which would completely screw Montreal. And you don't want to trade for anyone mid rebuild at that cap hit if you're already thinking about LTIRetirement.

And where are you getting the space to sign Dach if you're paying Letang over 6 and Crosby likely over 10 mil? Unless Laine is not expected to be a Hab after his contract is up. I'm also not sure why you think Dach would be playing with Crosby over, say, Laine and Demidov.

Its not a slam dunk to add two late 30s players to a team mid-rebuild who just had the 5th worst record. There's got to be planning involved.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
If Crosby is being traded at the deadline/in season, it will be to win a cup. Kane wanted to win a cup, not go to one specific team (which is why he's not still a Ranger).

Letang also has the history that lets him just retire, which would completely screw Montreal. And you don't want to trade for anyone mid rebuild at that cap hit if you're already thinking about LTIRetirement.

And where are you getting the space to sign Dach if you're paying Letang over 6 and Crosby likely over 10 mil? Unless Laine is not expected to be a Hab after his contract is up. I'm also not sure why you think Dach would be playing with Crosby over, say, Laine and Demidov.

Its not a slam dunk to add two late 30s players to a team mid-rebuild who just had the 5th worst record. There's got to be planning involved.
I'm pretty sure Kane asked to play with the Rangers specifically. That's the main reason Chicago didn't get much for him.

Letang and Kent Hugues are friends. Of course he wouldn't screw the Habs.
Like i said, if Letang wants to come to MTL, he can't count on the cap for more than 2 years. He has to go on LTIR after 2.
Habs can fit him for 2 years, but not more.

Of course, it takes planning. Habs still have a lot of cap space for this year and the next. After that, it gets more complicated.
A lot will depend on if the Habs keep Laine and Matheson. But there's a possibility to keep Crosby without trading Dach.
It wouldn't make sense to trade Dach just to keep Crosby for another year or two.

Demidov will arrive next season and will be a rookie. It's still possible he pushes Dach to the 3rd line in this scenario, or not.
I don't see this as a problem either way.

This whole scenario is to make use of the available cap space for the next 2 years, but it's not likely to happen.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That can be arranged. Thought of getting Crosby he's the veteran star for this young team.

Mayday1980

Mar 28, 2021
This season is now fairly simple on the trade agenda. If in February we're hunting for a playoff spot or are in a spot = no one gets traded away.

If we're heading for a bottom 10 finish then Savard, Dvo and Armia are out the door for the future picks/prospects we can gain.

If Anderson or Gallagher play well enough to garner any sort of trade interest you plug your nose and pay the other GM. (Within reason)

Then you pray that PIT stinks and Crosby waxes nostalgic about winning a cup in MTL and you sign him for 5 years at 5mill per with a guarantee we'll hunt for the cup the entire time he's here lol.

It'd be nice if some the big name UFAs make it to market in 2025 but most never do 😭

Reactions: waitin425

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I’d pay a fair amount of picks/prospects for Crosby if he wants to come here and sign a 3-4 years extension. Pittsburgh would be stupid to let this pass. They need to sell and go for McKenna in two years.

Reactions: waitin425

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I’d pay a fair amount of picks/prospects for Crosby if he wants to come here and sign a 3-4 years extension. Pittsburgh would be stupid to let this pass. They need to sell and go for McKenna in two years.
Not paying anything for him. Either he comes as an FA or forget it.

Reactions: bsl

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I never liked the selection of Mesar at 26nd in 2022. To say that they preferred this player to Bystedt, Kulich, Lampureux, Lambert, Firkus,Minten,Casey, Luneau, Poitras....Would you agree to trade him?

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
We have no use for Letang we can use Crosby if he want to sign as a UFA, we can’t sacrifice or tie up too much of future cap long term on a player that will only help short term.

I feel Crosby is exactly what this team needs actually. An old washed up Jagr did wonders to Floridas core. He'd be an incredible example to the younger players on the team. But, Crosby's a Penguins for life. Guy hasn't even changed his jockstrap yet, he won't change his team.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I never liked the selection of Mesar at 26nd in 2022. To say that they preferred this player to Bystedt, Kulich, Lampureux, Lambert, Firkus,Minten,Casey, Luneau, Poitras....Would you agree to trade him?
Only 2 or 3 of those players would be better choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad