C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I am unaware, what did Shane Wright do to bring his character into question? If we remove the hockey skill and the on ice product, where he went, exceptional status, etc... was the problem him as a person? He liked some social media posts and had a candid TV moment?
Yeah that's it.

Oh and some people who didn't do his combine interviews didn't like his combine interviews.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
There are many of us Habs fans who are genuinely interested to see Wright's growth and development and are keen to see him in the NHL on a purely hockey level. This thread is a disaster.

I'm sorry there are so many bitter, toxic Habs fans giving us a bad name. Wright and Michkov and (would you believe it) Frank Nazar do not deserve so many haters but it's part and parcel of a big fanbase that is super self-involved.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
How did he play yesterday? Scored a goal, +2 and 5 SOG. But that's just looking at his stats
Looked like he had a decent game.

A shift-by-shift video of his first game this season magically popped-up on my YouTube feed. Objectively speaking, he was good. More involved at both ends and created lots of chances. Big difference from what I saw last years playoffs. His coach has him on the 2nd pp unit though. So overall, I think he's being pushed to earn his place. Which may bode well for him if he rises to the occasion.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
There are many of us Habs fans who are genuinely interested to see Wright's growth and development and are keen to see him in the NHL on a purely hockey level. This thread is a disaster.

I'm sorry there are so many bitter, toxic Habs fans giving us a bad name. Wright and Michkov and (would you believe it) Frank Nazar do not deserve so many haters but it's part and parcel of a big fanbase that is super self-involved.
Shane? Is that you? LMAO...

Since you've said you've never hated a prospect more than Slafkovsky and call him the "lesser Armia", and you appear to be in love with Wright, I guess you may be a bit sore that Shane Wright would be lucky to be in the top-10 in a redraft. SMH. At this point, Slaf is a far better prospect. But I know, things can change...we'll know in a couple years.

PS: Apologists for people bashing Habs fans on the main boards for no good reason only perpetuates the problem.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Shane? Is that you? LMAO...

Since you've said you've never hated a prospect more than Slafkovsky and call him the "lesser Armia", and you appear to be in love with Wright, I guess you may be a bit sore that Shane Wright would be lucky to be in the top-10 in a redraft. SMH. At this point, Slaf is a far better prospect. But I know, things can change...we'll know in a couple years.

PS: Apologists for people bashing Habs fans on the main boards for no good reason only perpetuates the problem.
What makes you think Slaf is a far better prospect? Just curious because I haven't seen any indications of him being so.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
What makes you think Slaf is a far better prospect? Just curious because I haven't seen any indications of him being so.
How about the biggest indication. He's in the NHL and is actually progressing nicely this year. And people overplay the perception he was horrible last year. He was sometimes, but pretty good other times. Outscored the likes of Joe Thornton and Owen Nolan by a large ppg margin compared to their 18yo rookies seasons. Not bad for an 18 yo from another country. Wright is in the AHL and appears to be, at best, impactive at the same level as Slaf is in the NHL. I'd say that easily makes Slaf a far better prospect as I indicated: at THIS point. Of course that could change in the future...but I was talking about right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Leafshater67

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
How about the biggest indication. He's in the NHL and is actually progressing nicely this year. And people overplay the perception he was horrible last year. He was sometimes, but pretty good other times. Outscored the likes of Joe Thornton and Owen Nolan by a large ppg margin compared to their 18yo rookies seasons. Not bad for an 18 yo from another country. Wright is in the AHL and appears to be, at best, impactive at the same level as Slaf is in the NHL. I'd say that easily makes Slaf a far better prospect as I indicated: at THIS point. Of course that could change in the future...but I was talking about right now.
I think the organization's current state plays a big factor in deciding if a prospect would do better off in the NHL vs. in one of the developmental leagues. When it came to last season, I think the expectation was that Shane Wright could stick around in the NHL if the team was as bad as the year before. However, they started playing above expectations and it came down to the decision of either throwing him into limited 4th line minutes or giving one of Wennberg, Beniers, or Gourde's spots to him (which the team was not willing to do since the team was playing good as was + the Kraken defaulted to using Geekie on the fourth line who was one of the better faceoff takers on a team that was 2nd last in terms of faceoff percentage during the 22/23 season).

In my opinion, if Wright was given a 3rd line spot with PP minutes in the NHL last season, I think he would've done pretty well but the better decision was the lend him down to the OHL/AHL so he could work on being more dynamic. The same problem he ran into in the AHL last season was that he joined the top team in the AHL as they were entering the playoffs and he essentially had to work his way up on that team as well.

I understand why people say he is invisible because he doesn't play the game with the puck consistently on his stick. If he was really dynamic the Firebirds would have been forced to have him play higher in the lineup. His game is leveraging his teammates for quick passes and finding pockets of open space where he can be a quick-strike shooting option. I believe he will do well in the NHL with how he currently plays, but the Kraken are in no rush so they are defaulting to letting him know his growth areas so that he could push his boundaries in the AHL. Wennberg's contract runs out at the end of the season anyway so he should graduate into that position so I think there is some context required before making direct comparisons at this stage but the beauty of it is that we'll find out the truth eventually.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I think the organization's current state plays a big factor in deciding if a prospect would do better off in the NHL vs. in one of the developmental leagues. When it came to last season, I think the expectation was that Shane Wright could stick around in the NHL if the team was as bad as the year before. However, they started playing above expectations and it came down to the decision of either throwing him into limited 4th line minutes or giving one of Wennberg, Beniers, or Gourde's spots to him (which the team was not willing to do since the team was playing good as was + the Kraken defaulted to using Geekie on the fourth line who was one of the better faceoff takers on a team that was 2nd last in terms of faceoff percentage during the 22/23 season).

In my opinion, if Wright was given a 3rd line spot with PP minutes in the NHL last season, I think he would've done pretty well but the better decision was the lend him down to the OHL/AHL so he could work on being more dynamic. The same problem he ran into in the AHL last season was that he joined the top team in the AHL as they were entering the playoffs and he essentially had to work his way up on that team as well.

I understand why people say he is invisible because he doesn't play the game with the puck consistently on his stick. If he was really dynamic the Firebirds would have been forced to have him play higher in the lineup. His game is leveraging his teammates for quick passes and finding pockets of open space where he can be a quick-strike shooting option. I believe he will do well in the NHL with how he currently plays, but the Kraken are in no rush so they are defaulting to letting him know his growth areas so that he could push his boundaries in the AHL. Wennberg's contract runs out at the end of the season anyway so he should graduate into that position so I think there is some context required before making direct comparisons at this stage but the beauty of it is that we'll find out the truth eventually.

Ah, how refreshing to converse with someone who actually wants to debate points not hurl insults. Thanks for that.

Well, I understand your points, and I agree, to a degree. Maybe more had to do with Shane himself not playing well on the Kraken and then also not playing well on the Firebirds when sent down. As I mentioned earlier, I watched almost that entire Firebirds playoff run. It's not like Wright was buried deep in the lineup. He had his chances to make in impact. However, he simply did not play well. 2 goals in 24 games, that speaks for itself. I watched him a LOT in his draft year when with Kingston. Same issues. He played like someone who thought he could get away with not playing hard due to his reputation. So yes, invisible is the right word. I've read accounts that this was not how he played his first CHL season. And it reflected in what position he was drafted. For a perennial 1OA guy to drop to 4th, means maybe more scouts/teams agreed with my view of him than others. I was trying hard to see the good things that would justify the Habs picking him, which I totally thought they would. But I was very unimpressed. To put it lightly.

And judging just from the shift-by-shift video of his first game with Coachella this year, I'm even more convinced the issue is character/personality related. Maybe he grew self-entitled with all the praise leading up to his draft year. The player I watched in that video was much better. Engaged, skating hard both on offense and on defense, and going to the dirty areas to make plays. So credit where is it's due. If that is the real Shane Wright, then he's going to have a much better chance at eventually being an NHL'er of some note. But it's early, guess we'll see how things play out.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Ah, how refreshing to converse with someone who actually wants to debate points not hurl insults. Thanks for that.

Well, I understand your points, and I agree, to a degree. Maybe more had to do with Shane himself not playing well on the Kraken and then also not playing well on the Firebirds when sent down. As I mentioned earlier, I watched almost that entire Firebirds playoff run. It's not like Wright was buried deep in the lineup. He had his chances to make in impact. However, he simply did not play well. 2 goals in 24 games, that speaks for itself. I watched him a LOT in his draft year when with Kingston. Same issues. He played like someone who thought he could get away with not playing hard due to his reputation. So yes, invisible is the right word. I've read accounts that this was not how he played his first CHL season. And it reflected in what position he was drafted. For a perennial 1OA guy to drop to 4th, means maybe more scouts/teams agreed with my view of him than others. I was trying hard to see the good things that would justify the Habs picking him, which I totally thought they would. But I was very unimpressed. To put it lightly.

And judging just from the shift-by-shift video of his first game with Coachella this year, I'm even more convinced the issue is character/personality related. Maybe he grew self-entitled with all the praise leading up to his draft year. The player I watched in that video was much better. Engaged, skating hard both on offense and on defense, and going to the dirty areas to make plays. So credit where is it's due. If that is the real Shane Wright, then he's going to have a much better chance at eventually being an NHL'er of some note. But it's early, guess we'll see how things play out.

I think Seattle is the perfect place for him because 1) Ron Francis is a patient GM and will Shane Wright the developmental runaway he needs to reach his potential and 2) the Kraken already have a long-term 1C in Beniers. If he stays engaged and plays like he has the first two games with Coachella, I think he can become a good 2C with the possibility to get even better when playing with good playmaking wingers who can carry the offensive load and feed him the puck.

In the end, I think he is currently in the best position for him to succeed so it's all on him at this point.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018

Super involved ? Nice try. They are idiots plain and simple.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
ATM in my books, Ryan Winterton > Shane Wright

Both play in the same team, i think Ryan is playing better and he is producing more too
they are pretty much the same age, just 4 month age difference.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
ATM in my books, Ryan Winterton > Shane Wright

Both play in the same team, i think Ryan is playing better and he is producing more too
they are pretty much the same age, just 4 month age difference.
Wright has 6 points (4g, 2a) in 6 games and Winterton 5 points (3g, 2a) in 6 games. Morrison is also standing out with 4 points (1g, 3a) in 6 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad