C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Jeese did anyone else get super self conscious reading this. Immediately went to go check my post to like ratio to confirm I am, in fact, not a loser.
If you can't have fun and troll on the internet, why even be here. I'm a loser regardless, but I have fun.

As for the actual hockey discussion, Wright dropped down to 4 for a reason. He's definitely a project but a guy like McCann is a prime example of taking time to develop. Similar junior careers, one drafted earlier. Figure out the 2 way game for the next few years and things will start to click. AHL is a good place for him, he got rushed a bit but that's the CHL agreement for you. A kid like Danielson is a victim of the same thing IMO.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
As for the actual hockey discussion, Wright dropped down to 4 for a reason. He's definitely a project but a guy like McCann is a prime example of taking time to develop. Similar junior careers, one drafted earlier. Figure out the 2 way game for the next few years and things will start to click. AHL is a good place for him, he got rushed a bit but that's the CHL agreement for you. A kid like Danielson is a victim of the same thing IMO.

McCann and Wright had very different junior careers. Shane was ES, sparkled in his rookie season in the O, but was derailed by the pandemic. There were also issues with Seattle not liking Kingston as his development team, hence all that drama last season.

McCann was not NHL ready but was shoehorn into the lineup because the Canucks were lacking in talent. He was on his 5th (?) team already. He was always relegated to bottom 6 minutes and the minute he went to Seattle and was given steady top 6 minutes, he excelled.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
McCann and Wright had very different junior careers. Shane was ES, sparkled in his rookie season in the O, but was derailed by the pandemic. There were also issues with Seattle not liking Kingston as his development team, hence all that drama last season.

McCann was not NHL ready but was shoehorn into the lineup because the Canucks were lacking in talent. He was on his 5th (?) team already. He was always relegated to bottom 6 minutes and the minute he went to Seattle and was given steady top 6 minutes, he excelled.

Agree to disagree. Very similar players in my limited viewings of Wright but he reminded me alot of McCann when he played for the Sault minus the exceptional status which means nothing at times since guys like Veleno and Day got it. The development path for every player is different, just going off what my uneducated eye test says to me from seeing games in person at the junior level.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If you can't have fun and troll on the internet, why even be here. I'm a loser regardless, but I have fun.

He wasn't at all drafted as a project. He fell to 4 because he was very poor in his draft year, especially his compete level.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
He wasn't at all drafted as a project. He fell to 4 because he was very poor in his draft year, especially his compete level.

I don't see how any 18 year old is not a project. Especially a 4th overall, even McJesus. You don't draft these kids as finished works of art. They all need development in different areas, some more than anothers.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't see how any 18 year old is not a project. Especially a 4th overall, even McJesus. You don't draft these kids as finished works of art. They all need development in different areas, some more than anothers.
If they are all "projects", why even take the time to call it out?

He wasn't drafted as a "project" in the same way as guys like Blake Wheeler and Tage Thompson. The Kraken expected him to make their roster as an 18 year old.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

He wasn't drafted as a "project" in the same way as guys like Blake Wheeler and Tage Thompson. The Kraken expected him to make their roster as an 18 year old.

I'm not so certain they really did just with the way the team has been constructed in it's short stead. He got his cup of coffee and that's probably all you can expect an 18 year old kid vying for a spot on a deep team can ask for.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Yeah, totally. I paid close attention to him for obvious reasons related to the Habs that draft year. I could not believe how poor his compete level was. He was a floater in the classical sense. Even though his coach in Kingston tried to justify his mediocre production by saying he was "paying attention to the fine details" (I paraphrase), hogwash. He wasn't even impressive defensively. His linemates glaringly outshone him.

When he was sent down to Coachella by the Kraken, I thought, OK. This is kick in the butt he will use to show why he was considered elite for most of his career...nope...2 measly goals in over 20 games in the playoffs. I watched all the streams I could for those games. He looked even less interested/intense than he did in junior. Screams prima-donna attitude to me.

Plus, I think he stopped developing. I recall a poster here from his hometown saying he'll be a bust (relatively speaking), because he only dominated for years because he matured physically prematurely, but then stopped suddenly while everyone else caught-up, and then passed him.

And considering his immature behavior after not being drafted 1st (both at the draft and in social media), I'm sure glad he's not on the Habs.

He has a decent IQ, so he may very well carve out a NHL career, I just don't see him in the top-6 on any half-decent team.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I’ll be surprised if he never has a 25-30 goal season. Very surprised. Just because he’s taking longer doesn’t mean anything. It’s better for him to ne a star in the A than a 3-4C in the NHL at this time IMO. More teams should do this

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

My thought process was ... bring him to the NHL and see if he can handle it, give him a taste and he either stays up for good or goes to the AHL year 2. Think they wanted him to play pro after the draft and maybe the plan backfired a bit early on. If he has a solid year in the AHL or even gets called up and looks good, all of this is forgotten. Many high picks don't even come across to North America for a year or 2 and no one questions it too much, of course different size ice but you get where i am going.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
My thought process was ... bring him to the NHL and see if he can handle it, give him a taste and he either stays up for good or goes to the AHL year 2. Think they wanted him to play pro after the draft and maybe the plan backfired a bit early on. If he has a solid year in the AHL or even gets called up and looks good, all of this is forgotten. Many high picks don't even come across to North America for a year or 2 and no one questions it too much, of course different size ice but you get where i am going.
Okay, the Kraken's plan was to have him in the NHL for the whole season. They didn't see him as a project. Projects don't sniff the NHL at 18, you need to stop making excuses for him. He was billed as a kid with a mature game who could step in right away and be an NHL player.

In retrospect, I wouldn't even take him in the top 10 in a redraft.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The guy is pure ass lol. Hilarious seeing everyone on here claim they “saw it coming before the draft” with him when polls on here the day of the draft were over 80% in favour of taking him first overall.

I had him as DND after seeing his combine interviews, which shed new light on all the warts and flaws in his game. Got called an idiot and people questioned how I could glean anything from an interview. Massive red flags. The masses were unconvinced though and a lot of people still had him as borderline generational, and pegged as a future 100 point man even after the beginning of last season. I wonder what all the loudmouths have to say now? Lol.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Whatever happened to the player that dominated at the IIHF U18 and left the hockey world agog?

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He didn't put the work in, and then the other kids caught up in terms of physical maturity.
I LOVE the word "agog". Not sure why. I use it as often as I can. My favourite use was in the Frasiers "Imaginary Friend" Episode...

Niles: Actually, this is not without precedent. When he was ten, he forged letters from Leonard Bernstein and told everyone they were pen pals.

Martin: Oh, yeah.

Niles: He'd come bounding up the stairs, "Got another one from Lenny"! We were all agog until Mr. Bernstein wrote that his Broadway debut was "Candide" when everyone knows that it was "On The Town." That's when we knew it was a fake!

Martin: The sloppy kid lettering was also a clue!

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I had to check back a couple pages to see if Shane Wright did something in the last couple days to merit all this. Nope. He's played one game this year. It's just the usual folks who love to trash him and talk about how they were right all along. Take it from me, someone who has never been high on Wright, he's not that special for better or worse, he has some skill, he is developing, and he'll still probably be a good player when he matures, probably a 2C. There's no reason to go on and on about him.

Ron Francis said they expected to keep him with the team all year

This quote must have been on an odd day because nothing else fits with that expectation, Francis didn't give Wright a lineup spot and the coach never played him much. Just a few games on the 4th line. And this is Ron Francis who is if anything patient to a fault.

Yeah, totally. I paid close attention to him for obvious reasons related to the Habs that draft year. I could not believe how poor his compete level was. He was a floater in the classical sense. Even though his coach in Kingston tried to justify his mediocre production by saying he was "paying attention to the fine details" (I paraphrase), hogwash. He wasn't even impressive defensively. His linemates glaringly outshone him.

When he was sent down to Coachella by the Kraken, I thought, OK. This is kick in the butt he will use to show why he was considered elite for most of his career...nope...2 measly goals in over 20 games in the playoffs. I watched all the streams I could for those games. He looked even less interested/intense than he did in junior. Screams prima-donna attitude to me.

Plus, I think he stopped developing. I recall a poster here from his hometown saying he'll be a bust (relatively speaking), because he only dominated for years because he matured physically prematurely, but then stopped suddenly while everyone else caught-up, and then passed him.

And considering his immature behavior after not being drafted 1st (both at the draft and in social media), I'm sure glad he's not on the Habs.

He has a decent IQ, so he may very well carve out a NHL career, I just don't see him in the top-6 on any half-decent team.

- His defensive play was horribly overrated and everyone who made Bergeron comparisons should be ashamed of themselves. Someone tell David St Louis.

- Wright is the opposite of a prima donna, he has lacked confidence since the covid year. He is too afraid to try things with the puck, will always make a quick pass unless there is no one to pass to. Doesn't command the puck at all. It's the biggest problem in his game.

- I'd be fine with it if he did something immature, he's a kid, if you've forgotten. But I don't think staring down the Habs draft table is anything to fuss over. Such a silly thing to focus on. Get over yourself.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
I had to check back a couple pages to see if Shane Wright did something in the last couple days to merit all this. Nope. He's played one game this year. It's just the usual folks who love to trash him and talk about how they were right all along. Take it from me, someone who has never been high on Wright, he's not that special for better or worse, he has some skill, he is developing, and he'll still probably be a good player when he matures, probably a 2C. There's no reason to go on and on about him.

This quote must have been on an odd day because nothing else fits with that expectation, Francis didn't give Wright a lineup spot and the coach never played him much. Just a few games on the 4th line. And this is Ron Francis who is if anything patient to a fault.

- His defensive play was horribly overrated and everyone who made Bergeron comparisons should be ashamed of themselves. Someone tell David St Louis.

- Wright is the opposite of a prima donna, he has lacked confidence since the covid year. He is too afraid to try things with the puck, will always make a quick pass unless there is no one to pass to. Doesn't command the puck at all. It's the biggest problem in his game.

- I'd be fine with it if he did something immature, he's a kid, if you've forgotten. But I don't think staring down the Habs draft table is anything to fuss over. Such a silly thing to focus on. Get over yourself.
Agreed. I'm a Kraken fan trying to follow his development and I can't follow this thread cause of the negativity lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad