C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
So in 2 years, he might be a 2nd line center? I mean Ron Francis might be content with that and obviously it is better than nothing but imagine being kicked in the balls and being told it's a good thing.
It doesn't matter with Beniers anyways

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So in 2 years, he might be a 2nd line center? I mean Ron Francis might be content with that and obviously it is better than nothing but imagine being kicked in the balls and being told it's a good thing.

Apparently you've been in a cave for the last year and a half. Shane Wright not being expected to become a 1C has been priced in for a long time now. It's why he went 4th in a bad draft.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That's fair but he is only 19 - the negativity in this thread is getting silly.

In hindsight, 4th overall was probably right and he's going to need some time - there are plenty of players who develop slowly. If he fails, then he fails, but only time will tell.
The power of the consensus dies slowly.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Wright 39 pro games so far under his belt, 16 in the regular season, 23 in the play-offs
(8 in the NHL, 31 in the AHL)

Stats : 7 goals, 10 assists, 17 points and is +8 with 6 penalty minutes, 40 shots on goal.

played 156 games in the OHL, 89 goals, 124 assists, 213 points.
- its not like he turned and burned the OHL; the most high scoring league of the CHL
(yes, he did score 15 goals in 20 games this season after he got traded to Spitfires and after he was sent back to the junior)

Really, when you start thinking of it, strange that he was chosen as early as 4th overall.
He flew with his 15 year old season all the way to the draft. (my take)
- he had almost 50 (47) goal pace at 15* in the OHL, he scored goals at will in his rookie season

*turned 16 in January

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
A lot of top 5 picks don't reach their potential, IF Wright becomes a legit 2C that's great.

That's better than other top 5 picks like Dach, Turcotte, Kakko, Hayton, Kotkaniemi, Patrick, Juolevi, Puljujarvi, Strome, Dal Colle, Drouin, Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk and Griffin Reinhart.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
A lot of top 5 picks don't reach their potential, IF Wright becomes a legit 2C that's great.

That's better than other top 5 picks like Dach, Turcotte, Kakko, Hayton, Kotkaniemi, Patrick, Juolevi, Puljujarvi, Strome, Dal Colle, Drouin, Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk and Griffin Reinhart.
I think its a little early to close the book on guys like Dach, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, and Hayton. And Dylan Strome just scored 65 points....

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I think its a little early to close the book on guys like Dach, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, and Hayton. And Dylan Strome just scored 65 points....

You're right, I went in a little too hard there. They're not developing as fast as expected but that's not on them, the fans expect too much too soon.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Honestly - his numbers aren’t even that bad for a player in their D+1 season.

A lot of what has been said in this thread as of late from the looks of it is reactionary because he isn‘t even finished his D+1 season lmao.
As has been stated many times, it simply is a case of failing to meet expectations. He will be a good NHL player, a top six role who will peak around 65-70 points a year. Many thought, however, he was going to be an elite NHL center.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Uhhhhh Lafreniere was a 1st overall and I’d add a first to him to trade for Wright.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
As has been stated many times, it simply is a case of failing to meet expectations. He will be a good NHL player, a top six role who will peak around 65-70 points a year. Many thought, however, he was going to be an elite NHL center.
He is still far away from that though, he needs to work his ass off to reach to that kind of point totals per season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Strome today is a legit 1st line center in the NHL.
Kotkaniemi had a breakout season, who had strong play-offs as well
Dach had a semi breakout season, next season if he plays all 82 games and improves
then that season will be his true breakout season, but scoring 40 points in 58 games was impressive
Kakko also had a semi breakout season and if keeps improving to next season, same as Dach
scored about 20 goals and 40 points.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Dach had a semi breakout season, next season if he plays all 82 games and improves
then that season will be his true breakout season, but scoring 40 points in 58 games was impressive
Kakko also had a semi breakout season and if keeps improving to next season, same as Dach

They've been good, didn't say they haven't been.

I was definitely unclear earlier, my point is that getting a legit 2C with a top 5 pick shouldn't be seen as disappointing, if Wright ever becomes that.

The players you mentioned were expected to be elite by now simply because fans are impatient and expect too much, so as of now they've not lived up to the hype they initially had.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
When the "breakout" for KK is 40 pts it's not thaat impressive, not to say he hasn't improved or still couldn't get to 60 pts, but at the end of the day he's still a 40 pt player, nothing close to a #1. He was decent in the playoffs but 7 pts in 15 games is nothing elite, he "broke out" to a 0.5 ppg player and in the league today that's more like a 30-35 pt player from 5+ years ago.

Dach, to me , looks like he has the highest upside of the 3 but even then it's still too early to crown him anything until he proves it for at least 1 full season.

Strome is not really a "legit" #1 either, he would be a #2 at best on any contender, if he is your #1 you're in trouble baring the best D and goaltending in the league.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Will he win a Calder Cup tonight in his D+1?
That would be impressive, even if he dont have a lot of playing time. Most teens aren't even in the AHL at that point in their carreer and the experience he is gaining is good.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
When the "breakout" for KK is 40 pts it's not thaat impressive, not to say he hasn't improved or still couldn't get to 60 pts, but at the end of the day he's still a 40 pt player, nothing close to a #1. He was decent in the playoffs but 7 pts in 15 games is nothing elite, he "broke out" to a 0.5 ppg player and in the league today that's more like a 30-35 pt player from 5+ years ago.

Dach, to me , looks like he has the highest upside of the 3 but even then it's still too early to crown him anything until he proves it for at least 1 full season.

Strome is not really a "legit" #1 either, he would be a #2 at best on any contender, if he is your #1 you're in trouble baring the best D and goaltending in the league.

Dach didn't get better, he got power play time. At 5v5 he only scored 18 points with a points per 60 of 1.35. Kackko put up 32 points with a P\60 of 1.73 and Kotkanieme had 29 points with a 1.70 P\60.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Will he win a Calder Cup tonight in his D+1?
That would be impressive, even if he dont have a lot of playing time. Most teens aren't even in the AHL at that point in their carreer and the experience he is gaining is good.
They did not, Hershey with a comeback thriller in OT. Wright didn't really do too much. Unfortunately he was out for the Bears' tying goal, and was just a step slow on a puck battle with Protas, who set up the goal. But that goal is totally on the goaltender, who gave the puck away initially. Wright did his best in a broken play situation.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
They did not, Hershey with a comeback thriller in OT. Wright didn't really do too much. Unfortunately he was out for the Bears' tying goal, and was just a step slow on a puck battle with Protas, who set up the goal. But that goal is totally on the goaltender, who gave the puck away initially. Wright did his best in a broken play situation.
Well I watched the entire game and Wright played a really good game for the limited amount of ice he had. Good back checks, heavy checks, always in good positions. I think he should have seen PP time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well I watched the entire game and Wright played a really good game for the limited amount of ice he had. Good back checks, heavy checks, always in good positions. I think he should have seen PP time.
Yeah he played solid, responsible hockey. When I say "he just didn't really too much" I meant offensively. He wasn't very noticeable.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Dach didn't get better, he got power play time. At 5v5 he only scored 18 points with a points per 60 of 1.35. Kackko put up 32 points with a P\60 of 1.73 and Kotkanieme had 29 points with a 1.70 P\60.
Dach was a beast on the boards and using his big body. Also, very good with his stick on D. Created room for his teammates. To say he did not get better is ridiculous. Clearly you did not see him play last year. He was looking great when he played. Would not surprise me to see him put up 70-80 points if healthy.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He's been given dispensation by the OHL to go to the AHL if/when he does not make the Kraken roster this year. Probably the best thing for his development than either having to go to the OHL again or being stuck on the Kraken bench.
Is that even allowed in the CBA, or the NHL-CHL agreement. That would open Pandora’s box.
Do you have a link? As

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad