C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Was Kemell better than Wright in that series?
I'm not going to lie and tell you I watched him closely enough to give a good answer. I'll say that overall CV was more physical and their forecheck gave Milwaukee trouble. 5v5 Milwaukee's top 6 could not consistently get looks or generate sustain zone time/pressure. If Wright was playing a matchup style/shut down center role, then I could see him having a good series because something slowed down their top 6 enough to eliminate them.

If Kemell was nothing but a PP asset in that series he would've impressed me based on his age, but he was a 5v5 threat as well. I thought had his best 2 games in the last 2 to close the series.

Reactions: Jukurit

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He's 19 and has already been gifted that opportunity. I'm sure he'll have a few more shots, earned or not.
Gifted what opportunity? 6-10 minutes once a week with 4th liners? Is that setting a player up for success?

Seattle's roster was full at C this season. He was never going to displace Beniers, Wennberg or Gourde. And the coach clearly prefers Geekie at 4C over Wright, and you can't really blame him for that, I think I'd have Geekie at 4C too over Wright.

Is Wright a top 6 C? I don't know, I'm not saying he is or should be gifted that role this season in the NHL. Now, why is he playing a bottom 6 role in the AHL playoffs I have no idea. If people actually expect a bottom 6 AHL player to be at a PPG in the playoffs I'd say check yourself.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Wasn't Wright hyped to be McDavid lite? It felt like that a few years ago.

Then, he didn't have a good season in 21-22
He had an exceptional 15/16 year old season in the OHL, which began to hype him up just based on that. But since then he has left you wanting more, and its looking more like he was just already physically matured which helped him produce so well at a young age.

Reactions: TimeZone

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He had an exceptional 15/16 year old season in the OHL, which began to hype him up just based on that. But since then he has left you wanting more, and its looking more like he was just already physically matured which helped him produce so well at a young age.
Good point.

At this point he may not even turn into a very good to great #1 C

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Kid's lost his confidence. If that stare down was legit, then he probably also has a massive ego. It's tough to battle through these conditions and be a pro in anything at his age. He could have all the skill and IQ in the world but if you don't believe it then it's all for nothing. By the time he humbles himself, it may be too late. We'll see. Hes still very young, but this ain't a good look.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gifted what opportunity? 6-10 minutes once a week with 4th liners? Is that setting a player up for success?

Seattle's roster was full at C this season. He was never going to displace Beniers, Wennberg or Gourde. And the coach clearly prefers Geekie at 4C over Wright, and you can't really blame him for that, I think I'd have Geekie at 4C too over Wright.
Gifted any NHL ice time when he was clearly not ready. Some players are able to take advantage of small window of ice time and earn more over the course of the season. He obviously did not. He should have been sent back to junior (even if Kingston wasn't a preferred destination).

Is Wright a top 6 C? I don't know, I'm not saying he is or should be gifted that role this season in the NHL. Now, why is he playing a bottom 6 role in the AHL playoffs I have no idea. If people actually expect a bottom 6 AHL player to be at a PPG in the playoffs I'd say check yourself.

I think it's safe to say he's playing as a bottom 6C in the AHL because he's not good enough to be a top 6C. By all reports, he's not really been very impactful, being scratched a few times.

He's currently 14th on CV in pts per game, and 12th among forwards. I don't think anyone expects a bottom 6 guy to necessarily be a pt/game player, but maybe it's reasonable to expect him to be able to outpace career minor league plug Carsen Twarynski, who is also not getting prime offensive ice time?

Look at someone like Tage Thompson. It is impossible to know. Let's give the kid a chance to develop.
The difference is that Tage was expected to be a project, where as many saw Wright as a very mature, NHL ready prospect. So there might not be a lot of meat on the bone in terms of development. It's kinda like how Lafreniere was expected to be a super NHL ready prospect, but hasn't really progressed too much since his rookie year.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The difference is that Tage was expected to be a project, where as many saw Wright as a very mature, NHL ready prospect. So there might not be a lot of meat on the bone in terms of development. It's kinda like how Lafreniere was expected to be a super NHL ready prospect, but hasn't really progressed too much since his rookie year.
So... then Wright's a project, too. Let's just give him a chance.

Thompson took until he was 23(?) to become a difference maker. If Wright isn't making a difference by the time he's 23, then we can wright him off.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
TBH, while I've stuck up for him, I don't understand him either. Where is the player we saw at the U18's? He was so driven and talented.

When he didn't play hard the year before he was drafted, I stood up for him and said he was trying to avoid being hurt - so he could get an NHL contract. If he doesn't start playing HARD, I'm not going to waste my time defending him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trying to write off Wright as a bust when he's literally 19 is just another example of dumb things this website does.

Wright is in his D+1 year playing in a men's league playoffs that very few D+1 year players do well in. When was the last time a CHL player went in and dominated in their D+1 year in the AHL playoffs after their CHL season ended?

It took someone like Casey Mittelstadt until he was 24 to actually put everything together and become a top-6 forward. Just be patient and give him some time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So... then Wright's a project, too. Let's just give him a chance.

Thompson took until he was 23(?) to become a difference maker. If Wright isn't making a difference by the time he's 23, then we can wright him off.
I think that's the hope is that there is some untapped potential that we didn't see before. But the reality is that he just hasn't progressed much. Your point below this post is well made. In many ways he was a better player at 15 than he's been at 19. That's not a good sign for a guy who is supposed to be a project.

For ever Tage Thompson there are hundreds of guys who never really breakout. He actually seems like a nice kid, so I hope he gets it together, but if I were a betting man I'd bet the under on him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wasn't Wright hyped to be McDavid lite? It felt like that a few years ago.

Then, he didn't have a good season in 21-22
No?

I mean, maybe for folks who think anyone who gets exceptional status got it because they're all expected to be McDavid-level prospects. But anyone who watched both saw Wright didn't have the same dynamic ability McDavid did.

For me, Wright was seen more as that next level down type. Goal scorer who could play a strong two-way game (ie. a better goal scoring version of a Jonathan Toews). He was closer to a Stamkos/Tavares level type prospect at that time than a McDavid.

Is that still the case? Looks like we might have to temper expectations after all. I always defended him, especially when people would move goal posts to rail on him ("he's not producing enough!", "okay, he's producing, but his points don't look impressive!"). But he's not trending how I'd like to see.

In any case, I don't think anyone other than the most hyperbolic thought he was "McDavid-lite" who saw a lot of his games.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No?

I mean, maybe for folks who think anyone who gets exceptional status got it because they're all expected to be McDavid-level prospects. But anyone who watched both saw Wright didn't have the same dynamic ability McDavid did.

For me, Wright was seen more as that next level down type. Goal scorer who could play a strong two-way game (ie. a better goal scoring version of a Jonathan Toews). He was closer to a Stamkos/Tavares level type prospect at that time than a McDavid.

Is that still the case? Looks like we might have to temper expectations after all. I always defended him, especially when people would move goal posts to rail on him ("he's not producing enough!", "okay, he's producing, but his points don't look impressive!"). But he's not trending how I'd like to see.

In any case, I don't think anyone other than the most hyperbolic thought he was "McDavid-lite" who saw a lot of his games.
Re : "I always defended him"

Me, too, and, TBH, I'm kinda tired of doing it.

There were some McDavid comparisons after the U-18's when the kid was off the charts great. That quickly dissapated when his CHL season started slowly - IIRC.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Re : "I always defended him"

Me, too, and, TBH, I'm kinda tired of doing it.

There were some McDavid comparisons after the U-18's when the kid was off the charts great. They dissapated quickly when his CHL season started slowly - IIRC.

I think Wright's production was notable, but he did it without dominating at the same time. Sort of like Cozens at the 2021 WJC.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think Wright's production was notable, but he did it without dominating at the same time. Sort of like Cozens at the 2021 WJC.
Cozens' development might be a good comparison.

When Cozens and Zegras entered the NHL, everyone said Zegras was miles ahead and would be the better player. At the end of 2023, I felt Cozens had surpassed him.

It's a long road - everything in good time.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Trying to write off Wright as a bust when he's literally 19 is just another example of dumb things this website does.

Wright is in his D+1 year playing in a men's league playoffs that very few D+1 year players do well in. When was the last time a CHL player went in and dominated in their D+1 year in the AHL playoffs after their CHL season ended?

It took someone like Casey Mittelstadt until he was 24 to actually put everything together and become a top-6 forward. Just be patient and give him some time.
I don't think many people are completely wrighting (lol had too) him off. But it's fair to question his upside. I'm sure he will have an NHL career, but what will that career look like? Many people thought he was a lock to become a 1C at one point.

Will be interesting to see where he falls in a redraft when all is said and done. Some players taken behind him have had great d+1s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad