C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Reading about Wright and having seen him play just a few games I wonder if a (worst-case) comparison is Cody Hodgson?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Reading about Wright and having seen him play just a few games I wonder if a (worst-case) comparison is Cody Hodgson?
That's not a worst case scenario, especially not pre-injury Hodgson. He was actually a serviceable player for a bit.

I think fellow Kitchener alumni Michael Dal Colle is a more reasonable worst case scenario for him.

• Wow
Reactions: CanuckCity

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
That's not a worst case scenario, especially not pre-injury Hodgson. He was actually a serviceable player for a bit.

I think fellow Kitchener alumni Michael Dal Colle is a more reasonable worst case scenario for him.
I'm speaking colloquially when I say 'worst-case' scenario. I watched just about every game Hodgson played for Vancouver and a fair few with Buffalo as well as the WJC's.

I guess I just mean the hype about him from junior, including the idea of being some sort of mini-Toews sort of leader/two way player who ended up being a pretty low-calorie one way player (I know there was a degenerative back condition too, but also entitlement issues).

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I'm speaking colloquially when I say 'worst-case' scenario. I watched just about every game Hodgson played for Vancouver and a fair few with Buffalo as well as the WJC's.

I guess I just mean the hype about him from junior, including the idea of being some sort of mini-Toews sort of leader/two way player who ended up being a pretty low-calorie one way player (I know there was a degenerative back condition too, but also entitlement issues).
I can see it..

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Kulich with 6 goals and Kemell with 5 goals in AHL playoffs.
Wright healthy scratch.

Not looking good for Mr. "I deserve to go first overall"
giphy.gif

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Anyone that's been watching Coachella Valley's run have any insight on Shane Wright's play?

A quick glance at his stats has him 71st in playoff scoring in the AHL despite his team making the finals. I have to think he's playing a depth role on the team right now? If that is indeed the case, hard to imagine him making the Kraken out of camp next season, right?

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Anyone that's been watching Coachella Valley's run have any insight on Shane Wright's play?

A quick glance at his stats has him 71st in playoff scoring in the AHL despite his team making the finals. I have to think he's playing a depth role on the team right now? If that is indeed the case, hard to imagine him making the Kraken out of camp next season, right?
From what I've watched, he looks "okay" out there. He was a scratch for a few games during the playoffs but I believe has been in 17 of their 19 games. The criticism I have is that he looks scared to get hit or engage physically as much as you'd expect a 4th overall, line-driving type of player to do so. His stat line is quite underwhelming as well, so it is even more concerning.

Unless he is just holding back in the AHL or something clicks over the summer, I can't see his game transitioning to a roster spot on Seattle in the Fall, especially with the success the Kraken have had in their playoff run and the play of guys like Kartye when they were called up.

Just my opinion though and I have a far more limited viewing than an actual Firebirds fan.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

I only watched the series against Milwaukee, as a Preds fan, but I can't tell you I really noticed him at any point. I think he scored early in the series with kind of a ho-hum front of the net goal, but otherwise I was a littler surprised he wasn't more noticeable.

Reactions: JohnLennon

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
If he's getting every opportunity to succeed in the AHL but is failing to produce I would understand the concern. But it seems they are developing him as a 3rd or 4th line C...so maybe everyone's expectations don't match his opportunities.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If he's getting every opportunity to succeed in the AHL but is failing to produce I would understand the concern. But it seems they are developing him as a 3rd or 4th line C...so maybe everyone's expectations don't match his opportunities.
Doesn’t that say something about the prospect when a team opts to develop them as a bottom 6 player?

It appears as though he lacks drive, just seems so nonchalant whenever I see him play.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Man just doesnt seem to have "it", which is what youre looking for when picking a prospect in the top 5. The same concerns thats surrounded him his draft year are still present today.

Canadian hype machine does wonders for some players.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I only watched the series against Milwaukee, as a Preds fan, but I can't tell you I really noticed him at any point. I think he scored early in the series with kind of a ho-hum front of the net goal, but otherwise I was a littler surprised he wasn't more noticeable.
Was Kemell better than Wright in that series?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Really tough luck for Seattle that Arizona took Cooley. They really need to be filling the cupboards with dynamic scoring centers.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Doesn’t that say something about the prospect when a team opts to develop them as a bottom 6 player?

It appears as though he lacks drive, just seems so nonchalant whenever I see him play.
I don't think anyone who watched him in Windsor thought this kids ceiling is a 4th line C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad