C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I wonder if Seattle's plan is to keep him around until around the WJC, send him back to play for Canada, and then force a trade over the holidays so he doesn't have to play for that shitty Frontenacs organization and finish out the year on his new junior team.

By the time WJC comes and hes still on the NHL squad, they would have gone past the 9 games. No point in sending him back once they burned an ELC year.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
He can't go to Europe either, because the Kraken would have to loan him now that he's signed an NHL contract, and the CHL agreement means the only place they can loan him is to his OHL team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
By the time WJC comes and hes still on the NHL squad, they would have gone past the 9 games. No point in sending him back once they burned an ELC year.

Not if they keep healthy scratching him all the time. If he only dresses for one more in October and then gets 5 games in November, plus 1 more in December before the WJC camp, that's 9 games.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Maybe Wright's junior rights will be traded to a team more appetizing than Kingston? I've read a few times they have poor coaching, maybe Seattle would like to send him down to a team with a really good developmental coach?

Playing in the World Juniors would be quite beneficial to Wright. Good competition, good coaching.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The RFA years (40 game mark) is very important while the ELC slide isn't. They might actually prefer to start his second contract before he gets leverage.

Playing him for 30 games with a dozen scratches and then sending him to the OHL (where he hasn't dominated yet) seems reasonable to me. Seattle will have to play him more than 10 mins a night though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Not if they keep healthy scratching him all the time. If he only dresses for one more in October and then gets 5 games in November, plus 1 more in December before the WJC camp, that's 9 games.

and its not going to do him any good to only dominate against teenagers. He needs to get used to play against NHLers at that kind of pace and that will take time. He's not going to get that adjustment playing in the jrs again.

McFly2544

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Burlington, ON
I had posted this on Seattle board…

so he’s played 2 games out of teams first 4, playing 6 minutes in each

im not saying it’s wright or wrong or if it’ll have any affect on his development or career but legit question, is there any precedence of a recent top 5 pick starting a career off this way? Seems like an extremely odd way of going about it

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
and its not going to do him any good to only dominate against teenagers. He needs to get used to play against NHLers at that kind of pace and that will take time. He's not going to get that adjustment playing in the jrs again.

There is little evidence that he is a dominant junior player yet. His playoff performance in particular suggests he has more room to grow.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Also, Wright lost a year of play because of COVID, it seems a bit risky for his development to scratch-bench him too much, no?

If they don't believe in Kingston coaching staff, I can see why they would want to wait until sending him back, but any OHL contender team would trade for him if they knew he would play with them later this year. So it's probably not the case.

I just hope it's not the team not really knowing how to handle the situation and thinking "it's just a couple of weeks, he'll be alright"

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I feel like people on here are really overreacting to this situation. It seems pretty clear that Seattle wants to keep him around the pros for a bit and I’m sure he’s getting great experience doing so. There is no chance they are going to keep him around all season sitting half the games and playing the other half 6 minutes a night.

To those saying he is to good to return to the OHL I don’t know what to say to that. Mitch Marner returned after a 126 point season in his draft season. Leon Draisaitl played have a year in the NHL then returned to the WHL. I think if he gets returned to the OHL this is going to be a good experience for him to see how elite the game is and how hard he needs to work to get to that level.
This exactly. The can keep him for 9 games and send him back, which is likely the plan. Nothing wrong with stretching it out a bit and giving him an extra paycheque to go home to

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Its a valid concern. CHL track record developing players over last few years has fallen off a bit relative to Europeans and players on USHL/Jr A/NCAA track. But franchises cannot cut off CHL. Its part of an outdated NHL/CHL agreement that hasn't been amended in years. And while the rest of the world is changing (even NCAA is even allowing players to be compensated), CHL maintains free of competition. No incentive to adapt or improve.

The rules should change, but they won't. Instead, players should be advised to avoid CHL.
No it hasn't. The majority of the NHL players still come from the CHL. Even last year, I believe the number was 53%.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I wonder if Seattle's plan is to keep him around until around the WJC, send him back to play for Canada, and then force a trade over the holidays so he doesn't have to play for that shitty Frontenacs organization and finish out the year on his new junior team.
I mean I know they aren't the best coached team around, but Kingston is still very much a good OHL team. They are off to a 4-1 start and should comfortably be a playoff team.

Going back to Kingston to prove he can be the best player on a top team in the league, and take them deep into the playoffs, would do a lot for his experience. Learning how to be the go to guy on a top team is legitimately valuable. I specifically remember how much it helped my own personal development when I played.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean I know they aren't the best coached team around, but Kingston is still very much a good OHL team. They are off to a 4-1 start and should comfortably be a playoff team.

Going back to Kingston to prove he can be the best player on a top team in the league, and take them deep into the playoffs, would do a lot for his experience. Learning how to be the go to guy on a top team is legitimately valuable. I specifically remember how much it helped my own personal development when I played.

They're not, not in terms of player development. Trust me, I've followed this franchise since the mid 80's. There's a reason every single highly touted prospect who came through Kingston seemed to stagnate or slow down in development from ages 16-20. It's not exclusive to Shane Wright.

Also, being a playoff team in the OHL isn't any sort of feat. 8 out of 10 teams make it. This isn't the NHL where half the teams miss. You have to be truly, truly awful to miss the playoffs in the OHL.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
He should go down, look at the difference in player from Beniers to Wright its obvious a year of development would be good. Not worth it trying to yo-yo him from 6 mins a night to a healthy Scratch.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They're not, not in terms of player development. Trust me, I've followed this franchise since the mid 80's. There's a reason every single highly touted prospect who came through Kingston seemed to stagnate or slow down in development from ages 16-20. It's not exclusive to Shane Wright.

Also, being a playoff team in the OHL isn't any sort of feat. 8 out of 10 teams make it. This isn't the NHL where half the teams miss. You have to be truly, truly awful to miss the playoffs in the OHL.
Didn't seem to hurt Robertson too much. Bennett too (he was ruined by Calgary).

I'm not disagreeing that they are bad at it, but it's not some impossible place to develop.

He should go down, look at the difference in player from Beniers to Wright its obvious a year of development would be good. Not worth it trying to yo-yo him from 6 mins a night to a healthy Scratch.
To be fair, Wright's just not on Beniers level. That's just not a reasonable expectation for him IMO.

Reactions: majormajor

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011

I'm not disagreeing that they are bad at it, but it's not some impossible place to develop.

To be fair, Wright's just not on Beniers level. That's just not a reasonable expectation for him IMO.
LoL - Absolutely not. I won't say I agree with everything that Calgary did, but in no way did they ruin Bennett. Why him and not Gaudreau, Monahan, Mangiapane, Tkachuk, etc.? They all went through the exact same development. I actually love Bennett and I miss him on the Flames, but this is an absurdly incorrect statement.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Beniers was never a CHL player. He went through the US development program then played 2 years of college hockey. So you can't really compare the two since they took different paths.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
LoL - Absolutely not. I won't say I agree with everything that Calgary did, but in no way did they ruin Bennett. Why him and not Gaudreau, Monahan, Mangiapane, Tkachuk, etc.? They all went through the exact same development. I actually love Bennett and I miss him on the Flames, but this is an absurdly incorrect statement.
Because they refused to ever give him the opportunity to play his natural position with anyone of meaningful talent. He should have been given a chance to center Gaudreau (or even Tkachuk). But because they were convinced Monahan was something he wasn't (a first line center), they never gave it a chance.

Instead they played him as a bottom 6 winger (a position he's terribly suited for) with terrible linemates. They had a 4th overall pick and tried to develop him as a 4th line grinding winger lol.

The moment he got to Florida they gave him plenty of ice time as a center with actual top 6 linemates and all of the sudden he has 35g 66p in 84 games as a Panther, while spending most of that time on the 2nd PP unit. So maybe the Flames kinda screwed up there...

Just because a team develops some players well doesn't mean they don't botch the development of others.

Reactions: 03HockeyFan

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Ouch. Just got absolutely wrecked on his first shift on a clean hit by Barbashev. Bounced up quickly and thankfully looks fine.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Bennett was drafted 4th overall and at the time of the draft there was talk about him going 1st. THN draft preview even had him listed as their #1. At the NHL level he's turned into a solid, but not spectacular, 2nd/3rd line player. Hardly a good example of Kingston developing someone who had the potential to be a top line player and turning him into a middle six player who seems to top out at around 40-50 points.

As for Robertson, there's always exceptions to the rule. Citing one example of a kid panning out to counter what I said about decades of futility in Kingston is questionable. This is one area I'm not backing down because I'm a KINGSTON FAN and have been since the 80's. I know firsthand how many guys came through Kingston who were supposed to be future elite NHLers who then ended up ranging from average NHLers to not even making the NHL because Kingston didn't properly develop their games.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I can just imagine Wright sitting beside the GM while watching the game.

Wright: so your saying that one day this will be mine?

GM: Yes Wright, Everything the Kraken touches is your Kingdom

Wright: what about that shadowy place?

GM: that's Vancouver, its beyond our borders. You must never go there Wright.

GM: And this over here is----

Wright: Don't tell me, I know that one. Montreal. **death stares at Montreal**

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad