C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
How? Players have other options they can go to.

They choose the CHL because they have proven results

Again, I think you keep missing my point.

The kids are choosing at 15. And for 16-17 y.o. there is no competition for the CHL, it's by far the best option. By the time they are 18-19 y.o. there are arguably better options for at least some of them, but they are locked in and cannot move.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Some of these takes…why on earth would the Kraken want 18 year-old Shane Wright loaned to some rando European team where they would have zero influence on his usage all while he has to adapt his entire life to a new country while simultaneously trying to focus on his hockey? This isn’t the same as Matthews playing his pre-draft year in Switzerland.

He should be in the AHL, flat-out…the Kraken would be able to heavily modulate his usage and development, he’d get to build strength playing against pros and if a teenage Jiri Kulich or a teenage Chaz Lucius or a teenage Brad Lambert is allowed this development path because it’s in the best interest of their development as signed NHL players - I really feel like it’s stupid that the same ability is denied to CHLers.

Reactions: Silkytentacles

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
He should be in the AHL, flat-out…the Kraken would be able to heavily modulate his usage and development, he’d get to build strength playing against pros and if a teenage Jiri Kulich or a teenage Chaz Lucius or a teenage Brad Lambert is allowed this development path because it’s in the best interest of their development as signed NHL players - I really feel like it’s stupid that the same ability is denied to CHLers.
Shane Wright isn't too good for the OHL. There's nothing wrong with sending him back there.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Again, I think you keep missing my point.

The kids are choosing at 15. And for 16-17 y.o. there is no competition for the CHL, it's by far the best option. By the time they are 18-19 y.o. there are arguably better options for at least some of them, but they are locked in and cannot move.
So once again, they take what they know will likely develop them best with the very small they have to spend an extra year than needed.

In any given year there’s maybe only 3 guys who are “too good” for the CHL but not good enough for NHL.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Send him to the OHL ffs, if that idiot Hakstol is not even going to play him for more than 10 mins there's no point in just letting him rot in the pb.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
And how do you know that he would actually develop further in the OHL.
I don't know that he would. I also don't know that he would develop if he played anywhere else. None of us know.

What we do know is that he isn't too good for the OHL. We also know that better players than him have back to juniors in their D+1 season (and even their D+2 season) and have gone on to have fantastic careers. If Wright is going to develop anywhere, the OHL is likely as good place as any for him to be.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't know that he would. I also don't know that he would develop if he played anywhere else. None of us know.

What we do know is that he isn't too good for the OHL. We also know that better players than him have back to juniors in their D+1 season (and even their D+2 season) and have gone on to have fantastic careers. If Wright is going to develop anywhere, the OHL is likely as good place as any for him to be.

So put him back to his OHL club that isn't a great organizaton with a bleh head coach where he basically only faces teenagers is suddenly going to make him better against NHLers?

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Some people sone realize how good the hockey is in the CHL.

Regardless, it is probably the best place for him to work on things that he needs to work on. It would be harder for him to improve on the nuances of his game if he were playing against higher quality opponents.

Confidence is important too. I don’t think he has a whole lot at the moment. Leading a team deep into the playoffs could really help him rediscover his EP potential.

And he won’t be with Kingston for long. Once the new year comes he will be off to a contender. Whichever team that will be will have high end players for him to play with and there will be good competition for him to hone his skills against for the remainder of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
they would have zero influence on his usage all while he has to adapt his entire life to a new country while simultaneously trying to focus on his hockey? This isn’t the same as Matthews playing his pre-draft year in Switzerland.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
AHL would be best for him. Other players have had same issue though. If this is their usage plan though he shouldn’t be in the NHL although I see no reason not to keep him around for the 9 games.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
AHL would be best for him. Other players have had same issue though. If this is their usage plan though he shouldn’t be in the NHL although I see no reason not to keep him around for the 9 games.

He's a CHL player no AHL until 4 OHL season or he turns 20.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
He's a CHL player no AHL until 4 OHL season or he turns 20.
What Shane Wright is, is a guy that should be playing pro hockey. Ideally, in the AHL from which he can be called up on a day’s notice to the NHL. If not in a top men’s league in Europe... I know he would need to go back to the OHL but IMO, it’s not an adapted option for him. He already has the high end skills developed. He needs to get used to playing vs men. He can only learn that in some pro league.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What Shane Wright is, is a guy that should be playing pro hockey. Ideally, in the AHL from which he can be called up on a day’s notice to the NHL. If not in a top men’s league in Europe... I know he would need to go back to the OHL but IMO, it’s not an adapted option for him. He already has the high end skills developed. He needs to get used to playing vs men. He can only learn that in some pro league.
What's with this narrative that he somehow has nothing to learn in OHL? Worked pretty well for Marner and Marner had a far superior draft season to Wright's.

These are just excuses for the dreadful decision to not send him down.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I feel like people on here are really overreacting to this situation. It seems pretty clear that Seattle wants to keep him around the pros for a bit and I’m sure he’s getting great experience doing so. There is no chance they are going to keep him around all season sitting half the games and playing the other half 6 minutes a night.

To those saying he is to good to return to the OHL I don’t know what to say to that. Mitch Marner returned after a 126 point season in his draft season. Leon Draisaitl played have a year in the NHL then returned to the WHL. I think if he gets returned to the OHL this is going to be a good experience for him to see how elite the game is and how hard he needs to work to get to that level.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I can just imagine Wright sitting beside the GM while watching the game.

Wright: so your saying that one day this will be mine?

GM: Yes Wright, Everything the Kraken touches is your Kingdom

Wright: what about that shadowy place?

GM: that's Vancouver, its beyond our borders. You must never go there Wright.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Unrealistic expectations could ruin his career.

During, after his rookie season in the OHL,
so many (me included) has expected him do miracles on ice.

He had a 46 goal pace in his 2019-20 rookie season in the OHL
he turned 16 in January of 2020.

Prior to his OHL career, Shane scored crazy numbers for the Don Mills Flyers,
in the GTHL & U16 AAA.

He is a goal and point scorer.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sending him back to junior to play there and in the world juniors would not be the end of the world.
100%, I think it’s the clear right move. There are truly dominant CHL players, like top 1-2 in their league, who return to juniors. Wright isn’t one of them. Last year, he was somewhere between the 2nd and 4th best forward on his own team (behind Edmonds, arguable with Chromiak and Frasca).

I see know issue with sending him back. Yeah he’ll be a top 5 player in the OHL, maybe the best, but I don’t think that’ll be a bad thing for his development. Barely playing in a league he’s not ready for (the NHL) is much, much worse IMO.

No problem keeping him around for 9 games, getting a good taste of just how crazy good the NHL is, but after that, he should return to the OHL. If Seattle keep him up all year, that would be a mistake.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Unrealistic expectations could ruin his career.

During, after his rookie season in the OHL,
so many (me included) has expected him do miracles on ice.

He had a 46 goal pace in his 2019-20 rookie season in the OHL
he turned 16 in January of 2020.

Prior to his OHL career, Shane scored crazy numbers for the Don Mills Flyers,
in the GTHL & U16 AAA.

He is a goal and point scorer.
He did, but I see him as the kind of player who dominated those levels because of physical and mental maturity rather than skill. Since he started playing against other ‘mature’ players his level of dominance has diminished beyond what we normally see from the exceptional players who dominate with skill and continue improving noticeably each year.

The best thing for him will be to go back to junior and be counted on by a contending team. That will develop a lot of the character elements he will need to be successful in the NHL. He’s going to need to be a reliable and multi functional player to succeed in the NHL because his skill alone is not enough. He can easily be a top of the lineup player who can influence both ends of the rink if he hones in on that role.

It’s October. He’s got seven or eight months of hockey left. Keep him in Seattle for a few weeks, light the fire in him and show him what lies ahead if he rolls up his sleeves and goes to work every day. I see absolutely no issues with how they’re handling it. He’s not falling behind while training and working with NHL players/coaches for a few weeks instead of getting 20 mins of ice in Peterborough.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wonder if Seattle's plan is to keep him around until around the WJC, send him back to play for Canada, and then force a trade over the holidays so he doesn't have to play for that shitty Frontenacs organization and finish out the year on his new junior team.

Reactions: 03HockeyFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad