C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
its not monopolized as you think. Not all the best players over seas get imported to the CHL. So drop the who idea that CHL is a monopoly guess what they aren't
There nothing to stopping a player from deciding to leave the CHL and go play in one of the European League. There's also nothing stopping a player at 18 from terminating his CHL contract and joining some other NA league or even ECHL/AHL if he's good enough. Its just that said player would lose free college turtion for every year he plays in the CHL the moment he goes pro.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I did not mean imports. I am talking about 16yo Canadian kids. CHL gets cream of the crop here, because CHL is by far the top option in the country for 16 y.o. Combine that with Canada being the top talent producer, and it's a huge component of the CHL development record IMO.

For an 18yo, CHL may not be the best option, but the player can only go if they forgo signing the NHL contract and participating in the training camp of their NHL team. Not an easy thing to do for somebody aspiring to have an NHL career. So, theoretically CHL may not be a monopoly, but it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck. There is a funnel in place that sends young Canadian hockey talent to the CHL.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
But franchises in the NHL can

And they won't cause its not in the best interest of the teams to have its roster be full of undeveloped CHLers just have them avoid sending them back.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I did not mean imports. I am talking about 16yo Canadian kids. CHL gets cream of the crop here, because CHL is by far the top option in the country for 16 y.o. Combine that with Canada being the top talent producer, and it's a huge component of the CHL development record IMO.

For an 18yo, CHL may not be the best option, but the player can only go if they forgo signing the NHL contract and participating in the training camp of their NHL team. Not an easy thing to do for somebody aspiring to have an NHL career. So, theoretically CHL may not be a monopoly, but it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck. There is a funnel in place that sends young Canadian hockey talent to the CHL.

There are other leagues for that age group in canada... Not everyone gets drafted by the CHL. Not everyone that gets drafted thats from canada or US plays in the CHL a lot of them don't play in the CHL. There is already a big insentive for players to avoid CHL thats called NCAA hockey. Also college hockey is an option up in canada its just not an option for players that go through US colleges due to NCAA being dumb on their eligibility.

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
There is always plenty of talent for all the leagues for that age level. Some players have decided to avoid CHL if they want to play college hockey. You can't say there is no competition for the CHL guess what there is and players have taken those other paths.

European hockey leagues is structured differently than that of NA hockey.

CHL players are already being compensated per terms of their contract with their jr major club.

Here's the thing 99% of all talent going through the jr majors aren't talented or developed enough to be ready for the next level at 18. The issue is about those players that are talented enough to where they need to move on to the next level.
No, 99% are not ready for NHL, but they may be ready for AHL or NCAA.

But kids are locked in at age 16...in a system designed when 20% got college degrees.

The NCAA should let them opt-out of CHL.
The NHL should let them play AHL.
The USHL should double the amount of Canadian imports (from 2 to 4).
The CHL should let their agreement with NHL expire.

(Vote Favin 2022)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The CHL is probably delivering the best results, but how much of that can be attributed to the fact that they practically monopolized access to the best talent pool in the world?
How? Players have other options they can go to.

They choose the CHL because they have proven results

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

But kids are locked in at age 16...in a system designed when 20% got college degrees.

(Vote Favin 2022)

CHL would never let it expire.

Reactions: Favin

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

(Vote Favin 2022)
Here here.

I’m fine with the USHL only allowing some Canadians. But, the NCAA needs to reclassify the CHL. It would be awesome to see CHL players be able to play NCAA hockey and be able to see USNTDP potentially play against some CHL teams.

The CHL and NHL agreement is ridiculous.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
This line of thinking that a player “has nothing left to learn in Junior” is so ridiculous.

If he had nothing left to learn, he would’ve been a 1st overall pick.

18-year olds don’t get worse by not playing in the NHL for a year.
Slaf has looked like garbage. Are you implying that he couldn’t learn anything from junior hockey?

• Haha
Reactions: Canadienna

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Kid has played 6 minutes in the NHL. I think some here should take a knee.

Sometimes watching the game from the pressbox can help a young player significantly.

Some of you lot need to chill out haha

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't mind Wright sitting some games (no kid needs to play 70 or 80+ games) but if you're going to play him, play him. At least 10 minutes. The Kraken have no chance vs the Canes anyways.

I have to wonder if Ron Francis is on board with what Hak is doing.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I'm surprised more top/elite prospects don't try to go the Matthews route and play in Europe before being drafted. For a guy like Wright, it would let him avoid the CHL agreement.

Or even just play in the USHL, then go the college route. They can go pro as soon as they're drafted, or in their D+1.

That's because Matthews was a super unique case. He turned 18 in his draft year, just after the cutoff. Which meant he aged out of the USNTDP. He also wasn't interested in playing college hockey. Essentially, he was a free agent.

He blazed a trail that no one followed.

In the CHL, you're bound to your team that owns your rights. Unless you leave at like 15 or something to play in Europe. But no European team is going to take a chance on a 15 year old Canadian that they know nothing about.

Many Canadians do choose the college path. There are currently 410 BCHL alumni playing NCAA Div. I hockey in 2022-23.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't mind Wright sitting some games (no kid needs to play 70 or 80+ games) but if you're going to play him, play him. At least 10 minutes. The Kraken have no chance vs the Canes anyways.

I have to wonder if Ron Francis is on board with what Hak is doing.
Hakstol is a horrible coach. I don't understand how teams could watch what he did in Philly and think he's the guy you want running your team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Didn't get a regular shift until the game was well out of hand. Seems like the coaching staff doesn't have a ton of trust in him yet.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Too bad Wright can't play in the AHL, that would be best for him. Fortunately, Slafkovsky can play in the AHL, and will, it will help a lot. Slaf is way too big for juniors, manhandling kids won't help him adjust to the NHL. Wright has played enough years in juniors already.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Too bad Wright can't play in the AHL, that would be best for him. Fortunately, Slafkovsky can play in the AHL, and will, it will help a lot. Slaf is way too big for juniors, manhandling kids won't help him adjust to the NHL. Wright has played enough years in juniors already.

Just 121 games in the OHL, (with 1.30 ppg average), that's not even 2 full seasons.

5 games in the wjc-18, 2 games in the cancelled world juniors. That's not much of games if you ask me.

He should have been sent back to the juniors to play more games,
to work on his game, instead, he was sent straight to the deep end.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad