C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I see a bit of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in Shane Wright. A player that does alot of things well but isn't really dynamic in any area. I think the difference, Wright plays a similar game to what Nuge can do now, but Nuge came into the NHL with higher offensive upside then transitioned into somewhat more of a two-way type of player (albeit this year his numbers have shot up)

I think Wright will be an impactful player in the NHL. In terms of production, who really knows? alot depends if he gets PP time etc , but I'd say anywhere from 55-65 point guy, who can play in all the situations.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I see a bit of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in Shane Wright. A player that does alot of things well but isn't really dynamic in any area. I think the difference, Wright plays a similar game to what Nuge can do now, but Nuge came into the NHL with higher offensive upside then transitioned into somewhat more of a two-way type of player (albeit this year his numbers have shot up)

I think Wright will be an impactful player in the NHL. In terms of production, who really knows? alot depends if he gets PP time etc , but I'd say anywhere from 55-65 point guy, who can play in all the situations.
Yeah, I think that’s a good comp. Obviously Nuge had a lot more NHL impact right out of the gate, but I think Wright has similar upside to what Nuge became.

Reactions: Oilers

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Right shot centre who scores 55-65 points, while playing a solid 200 foot game. That’s a very valuable piece on a winning club.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Wright is going to be good, just not in the way people want top 5 picks to be. Which is exciting McDavid/Matthews type players.

If prospects don't create more hype/ buzz the first two seasons after they are drafted, most people just fall out of love with them and tag them as a bust immediately.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Wright is going to be good, just not in the way people want top 5 picks to be. Which is exciting McDavid/Matthews type players.

If prospects don't create more hype/ buzz the first two seasons after they are drafted, most people just fall out of love with them and tag them as a bust immediately.

We saw this play out in New Jersey with people acting like Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier were early busts. So many people here are eating crow especially on Hughes. Funny that a website called hockey futures is full of people with no patience.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Yeah, I think that’s a good comp. Obviously Nuge had a lot more NHL impact right out of the gate, but I think Wright has similar upside to what Nuge became.
I think wright has a lot better shot and release than nuge too , I think he will be a lot bigger threat to score than nuge especially on the pp. Nuge had better IQ and overall control offensively but wright has that weapon that he never had

RNH is having a great year but before this year he had hit 25 goals only once with 28. I think wright is definitely capable of putting up a lot more 30+ goal seasons over his career and may even peak in the 40s

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Agreee but it's Sam Reinhardt (sp?) for me, I'm nit picking here though. A steady and cerebral guy that has a bit of flash every once in a while, and some point getting abilities at the NHL level as a top 6 player. But just not an elite play driver, and much more of a high end utility forward that would be a 3rd liner on a team like peak Tsmpa Bay, like an Anthony Cirellie.

RHN has that super vision though. He's no true #1C, but over the last many, many years the Oilers have failed badly with getting him cheap/affordable bargin bin top 6 wingers that he can utilize from easier matchups he always gets.

He could have easily been a long-standing elite 2nd line anchor if Edmonton didn't f*** everything up all the time so badly. Very much like David Krejic in Boston.

Last edited:

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Agreee but it's Sam Reinhardt (sp?) for me, I'm nit picking here though. A steady and cerebral guy that has a bit of flash every once in a while, and some point getting abilities at the NHL level as a top 6 player. But just not an elite play driver, and much more of a high end utility forward that would be a 3rd liner on a team like peak Tsmpa Bay, like an Anthony Cirellie.

RHN has that super vision though. He's no true #1C, but over the last many, many years the Oilers have failed badly with getting him cheap/affordable bargin bin top 6 wingers that he can utilize from easier matchups he always gets.

He could have easily been a long-standing elite 2nd line anchor if Edmonton didn't f*** everything up all the time so badly. Very much like David Krejic in Boston.
Oilers depth previous years has been atrocious but this and last year have looked better…. For now haha

I like the Reinhart comparison too

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wright and 1st seed Spitfires down 2-0 against an 8 seed lol
Make that down 3-0 after a 6-3 loss last night. It was a close game until the end (2 ENs), but honestly it felt pretty lopsided - Onuska kept the Spits in the game, he had some terrific saves but was eventually left out to dry.

Wright has not been very good or noticeable. He has 1 goal and 2 assists (both of which were the opposite of impressive) and is a -5 with only 9 shots thru 3 games.

Reactions: Habsrule

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have watched his three playoff games and he has been pretty unnoticeable out there. Then again the whole Windsor team has not played well.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Make that down 3-0 after a 6-3 loss last night. It was a close game until the end (2 ENs), but honestly it felt pretty lopsided - Onuska kept the Spits in the game, he had some terrific saves but was eventually left out to dry.

Wright has not been very good or noticeable. He has 1 goal and 2 assists (both of which were the opposite of impressive) and is a -5 with only 9 shots thru 3 games.

I have watched his three playoff games and he has been pretty unnoticeable out there. Then again the whole Windsor team has not played well.
I don’t know what you two were watching because Wright was Windsor‘s best player though the first two games, and it’s not even close - I haven’t gotten a chance to see yesterdays game but in the first two, he seemed to be the only player that cared for Windsor - if the Spitfires end up losing this series like I predicted, the blame doesn‘t fall on Wright he has been one of the only players that has been able to do anything on offence for Windsor. Who would have thought the CHL’s highest scoring team would have this much difficulty scoring in the playoffs?

Should also note that the 1 seed vs 8 seed is a little misleading to Kitchener‘s talent this season. They have serverly underperformed up to now, one of the biggest regular season dissapointments in OHL history. Kitchener has a very deep team on paper though and even bought at the OHL trade deadline. They may be seeded 8th but they’re more like a typical 3rd or 4th seed.

Gotta hand it to Kitchener and their coaches though, they did their research and watched film on Windsor and have exploited their weaknesses. They have been the better team.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I don’t know what you two were watching because Wright was Windsor‘s best player though the first two games, and it’s not even close - I haven’t gotten a chance to see yesterdays game but in the first two, he seemed to be the only player that cared for Windsor - if the Spitfires end up losing this series like I predicted, the blame doesn‘t fall on Wright he has been one of the only players that has been able to do anything on offence for Windsor. Who would have thought the CHL’s highest scoring team would have this much difficulty scoring in the playoffs?

Should also note that the 1 seed vs 8 seed is a little misleading to Kitchener‘s talent this season. They have serverly underperformed up to now, one of the biggest regular season dissapointments in OHL history. Kitchener has a very deep team on paper though and even bought at the OHL trade deadline. They may be seeded 8th but they’re more like a typical 3rd or 4th seed.

Gotta hand it to Kitchener and their coaches though, they did their research and watched film on Windsor and have exploited their weaknesses. They have been the better team.

Sorry maybe unnoticeable may not have been the best word. What I meant is for a player who was picked #4 overall and was a true challenge for the #1 pick I would have assumed would be a lot more dominant. He was ok but not like he was creating chance free chance after chance. I just mean that I expected a lot more from him. Last night Windsor had more shots but much less scoring opportunities.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He looked better than last playoffs, but thats still pretty underwhelming for a top 5 pick, I had him ranked 10th OV personally, I just couldnt buy the hype, my projection was a vanilla 2nd line center and thats exactly what he projects like at this point IMO. No drive in his game, not a puck possession player, defer to his linemates too much, lacks explosivenes and motor still too low. Looks good in the slot, good awarenesses, good passing but thats about it. He still struggles to beat goaltenders cleany with his shot.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
He should get stuffed in the AHL pronto if/when Windsor gets the boot. Is he technically eligible for AHL next year too?

gimbznyr

Jul 23, 2021
Was at the game last night. Was obviously cheering for my hometown rangers but was eager to see watch him play. Really didn’t stand out last night what so ever. Although my expectations may have something to do with that.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
No offense to Wright, but I don't think he's going to be as good as Nuge. Nuge is very underrated, he's extremely smart.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s not flashy, but IMO he’s having a good D+1 season. Both his OHL regular season games and small number of AHL regular season games were impressive, he’s been playing a mature 2-way game, making good decisions and making a positive impact. Was invisible in the NHL, but got nearly zero minutes. Windsor are choking hard against Kitchener, but that’s not remotely all on Wright, he’s not dominating but is playing OK.

I think he’s got Nuge-esque upside. He could easily fall short of that, and be something like a less physical, poor man’s Laf, but I think if he develops really well, he could be similar to Nuge. We’ll just have to wait and see, he’s only 19.

If forced to do a redraft, I wouldn’t take him top 5, but I actually wouldnt quite take Slaf or Nemec top 5 either - Cooley, Jiricek, Hutson, Kasper and Minty have impressed me most so far. I’d take Wright (and Slaf and Nemec) top 10, though. But overall it’s still soooo early, these guys are all crazy young and there’s no standout phenom level prospects in this draft, nobody who’s an NHL stud (or even NHL impact player) in their D+1, extremely hard to say how these guys pan out.

Last edited:
Reactions: bouquet

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Starting around 2018-2019, 3-4 years before Wright was drafted, I saw many things on HF Boards that were along the lines of:

"Canada is going to be unstoppable in the future. McDavid, Wright, and Bedard all down the middle. Three generational players".

Over the last 1-2 years, Wright has obviously completely fallen off the wagon.

He didn't look at all NHL-ready during the games he played for the Kraken this season.

He also hasn't dominated OHL hockey the last 2 seasons when it has mattered (the playoffs).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad