C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
And so ends the Wright OHL era . In with a BANG as a 15 yrold future superstar ….out with whimper and uncertain future . As they say .. development isn’t always linear .
Perils of overhyping minor hockey stars born really early January. Big advantage at those younger ages that creates a bit of a feedback loop in some ways and eventually becomes no advantage.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I didn't watch any games but I'm kind of shocked he wasn't able to do more in the playoffs for his team - most guys with his pedigree can almost swing a series by themselves at this point when their team is outmatched, let alone when you are playing on the #1 seed vs an 8 seed.

I still think he's a good finisher in his spots and can be a good player, but it is definitely a bit concerning that he's not able to step up vs an 8 seed and take over the games, even late 1st round picks can usually do some serious damage in their draft +1 in the CHL and be true game changers.

Maybe it was just an off week, because he produced really well in the season, but it's also just another blemish in a long line of disappointments since his peak hype 2-3 years ago.

gimbznyr

Jul 23, 2021
I can't really comment on the rest of the series but I was at the game tonight and he was INVISIBLE. I was shocked... I'm not a Wright hater, if anything I want him to succeed but wow it was bad. Not a single flash of anything, on the rare occasions he touched the puck it was basically a chip in or low pressure pass back to a dman on
I was at games 3 and 4 absolutely a non factor. Expected much more from him. Only time he was noticeable was when he gave up the puck.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Shane Wright avec playoff beard
images.jpeg-19.jpg

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Dude couldn't muster 1ppg in the playoffs. Lmfao
The issue is more that he isn't driving the play the way you'd expect from a returning top 5 pick. A player could play insanely well and finish with 0 ppg and it wouldn't matter development wise.

At this point Wright looks more like a dude who'll be a finisher at the next level. I don't think he's elite in that department either, but he's good enough to do it in the NHL. He'll have to be put in a scenario to succeed.

Mar 12, 2009
Hasn’t been a full 24 hours and the critiques of Wright are out in full force!
I mean, did you watch the series? A 4th overall pick billed as the best player in the OHL being held to 3 points in a 4 game sweep of his team is very disappointing on paper, and he didn't look good out there most of the series. I saw every game and was at game 4.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Perils of overhyping minor hockey stars born really early January. Big advantage at those younger ages that creates a bit of a feedback loop in some ways and eventually becomes no advantage.
lol. funny yu mention that .. this is what i posted waayy back in Feb 2018 when this thread was only a few posts old . Relative- age effect is real :)

Feb 2018-
After 30 plus years of seeing the young minor hockey phenoms come and go I’ve learned to temper my enthusiasm , to a certain degree, when I see that (early) January birthdate. That said , never seen him play but have heard the accolades for s couple seasons now. Be interesting to watch

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Can't help but think the best thing for him long term is being away from the Canadian media/hype while developing. I think he'll get that in Coachella/Seattle. I imagine the pressure would have been unreal if Montreal picked him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wright is one of those guys who's gonna pretty much look the same at every level of competition. You could put him on my Tuesday night rec team and he'd probably score 4pts in 5 games.
As long as that translates to the NHL at some point he will be fine but he certainly doesn't look like the future superstar he was once projected to be but then again he isn't the first guy nor will he be the last.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is Wright another example of a guy who physically matured a couple years before his peers and really hasn’t taken much of a step forward in his game because of that. He’s still going to be a good NHL player but maybe more a 3C?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
What we got was a horrid WJC, where he got carried by Bedard and Stankoven.. then we get a guy who can't even do 1PPG in the playoffs.

Jeez that is bad.
Where are you getting "horrid WJC?" I was at every Canada game. Wright was a super solid two-way contributor and scored a key goal in the gold medal game. He's obviously not Connor Bedard, but you can say that for pretty much every prospect since Connor McDavid.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Is Wright another example of a guy who physically matured a couple years before his peers and really hasn’t taken much of a step forward in his game because of that. He’s still going to be a good NHL player but maybe more a 3C?
Yep. He could become a 2C if everything works out but he could also struggle to become an effective full time NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad