C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Can he go to the AHL next season or has he not played enough in the OHL?

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
He was invisible in 6/7 games and was like the 6th best player on his team in a tournament where he should have been the second best player overall.

This season was supposed to be where he proves everyone wrong and makes teams look silly for passing on him but in a redraft he probably goes 5 or 6.

I wouldn’t call this season a disasterclass because he scored an NHL goal, had that nice stretch in the AHL, captained Canada to a gold and produced at solid rate in junior. It just wasn’t anything

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Can he go to the AHL next season or has he not played enough in the OHL?
It's a bit unclear, normally a player in their 19 year old season has to go back to the OHL, but Wright was technically "exceptional player", which I think might not be subject to that since he'd normally have already played 4 OHL seasons by then (I think that's why Joe Veleno was allowed to play in the AHL in 2019-20)... but he's also only played three seasons in the OHL due to a COVID cancelled season.

An exceptional player having to go play in Juniors again for their D+2 season is pretty unprecedented. Obviously Day did but he wasn't good enough for the AHL anyways at the time.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It's a bit unclear, normally a player in their 19 year old season has to go back to the OHL, but Wright was technically "exceptional player", which I think might not be subject to that since he'd normally have already played 4 OHL seasons by then (I think that's why Joe Veleno was allowed to play in the AHL in 2019-20)... but he's also only played three seasons in the OHL due to a COVID cancelled season.

An exceptional player having to go play in Juniors again for their D+2 season is pretty unprecedented. Obviously Day did but he wasn't good enough for the AHL anyways at the time.
Not unclear.

He is eligible for the AHL.

Look at Joe Veleno and Sean Day (who ended up getting sent back anyway) as examples.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Not unclear.

He is eligible for the AHL.

Look at Joe Veleno and Sean Day (who ended up getting sent back anyway) as examples.

He played 24 games this season, and I saw someone say a season for the purpose of the NHL/CHL agreement is 25 games. If it's 25 games played he can't go to the AHL. 25 games on the OHL roster he can, as he missed games while injured.

Is there a copy of the agreement text available anywhere?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Is Wright another example of a guy who physically matured a couple years before his peers and really hasn’t taken much of a step forward in his game because of that. He’s still going to be a good NHL player but maybe more a 3C?

This happens all the time, but fans often seem to be unwilling to acknowledge it as a possibility in real-time and only realize it years later. Some are able to salvage things as a complimentary piece, some aren't.

Nolan Patrick, Alex Turcotte, Jared Cowen, Colten Teubert, Gilbert Brule, Lauri Tukonen, Angelo Esposito are some examples of 1st round picks who probably peaked way sooner than most of their peers.

Reactions: Fatass

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Nope. It doesn’t.

The Covid year removed A year of eligibility for every other player that played in the CHL, why wouldn’t it apply to Wright as well?

I’m telling you, he can play in the AHL next year.

Here's an article with the 25 games claim.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Where are you getting "horrid WJC?" I was at every Canada game. Wright was a super solid two-way contributor and scored a key goal in the gold medal game. He's obviously not Connor Bedard, but you can say that for pretty much every prospect since Connor McDavid.

For the hype, attention, and draft position of the player he was at best the 5th best forward on the team. Majority of shifts he was invisible and he had zero high end plays. Was he a bad player on the ice? No. Did he do anything that would suggest he is a highend prospect with game breaking talent? Absolutely not.

He basically just played the games, didn't contribute much and went about his business.. which is fine for most prospects but when you are supposed to be a #1 overall selection and top end prospect it was a bad tournament IMO.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If you're traded for that much and you get swept by an 8 seed, I really don't like the chances of being a "bergeron" like player. Hopefully this is a good time for Shane to start maturing.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It's not a good look for Shane but the Bergeron thing was always a bad comparison, that's not on him, that's on bad scouting.
I never liked it either because Bergeron is essentially a "unicorn" type player where there can be only one type of player like him. But the mere fact that Wright's team was decimated by an 8th seed is incredibly worrisome.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
For the hype, attention, and draft position of the player he was at best the 5th best forward on the team. Majority of shifts he was invisible and he had zero high end plays. Was he a bad player on the ice? No. Did he do anything that would suggest he is a highend prospect with game breaking talent? Absolutely not.

He basically just played the games, didn't contribute much and went about his business.. which is fine for most prospects but when you are supposed to be a #1 overall selection and top end prospect it was a bad tournament IMO.
If you are going to describe a point a game, excellent two way play, and this

As a horrid tournament with no high end plays, then I hope every prospect my team drafts this year can be just as horrid and low end.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I never liked it either because Bergeron is essentially a "unicorn" type player where there can be only one type of player like him. But the mere fact that Wright's team was decimated by an 8th seed is incredibly worrisome.

No its not. Decimated by a decent 8 seed team shows more about the team he played for than the player himself.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Reminder he lost a year of development in the OHL due to that cancel season...

Reactions: Osakahaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad