C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Nearly a year later, in a redraft he falls way below the number 3 I had him. Closer to 9 or 10.

Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek, Slafkovsky, Gauthier, Mintyukov and Korchinski all have substantially higher ceilings.

Didn’t impress me at the Wjs, didn’t impress me in a 3 or 4 regular season games I watched and same with the 2 playoff games I watch.

He can still be a really good 2C one day but he’s not the player we all thought he was 2 years ago.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nearly a year later, in a redraft he falls way below the number 3 I had him. Closer to 9 or 10.

Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek, Slafkovsky, Gauthier, Mintyukov and Korchinski all have substantially higher ceilings.

Didn’t impress me at the Wjs, didn’t impress me in a 3 or 4 regular season games I watched and same with the 2 playoff games I watch.

He can still be a really good 2C one day but he’s not the player we all thought he was 2 years ago.

Last year I had Wright 4th and wouldn't put him more than a few spots lower now. I might even have him ahead of Slafkovsky who the Habs have mishandled.

Wright next to a star playmaker would make up for his lack of offensive killer instinct. I think he'd scale up better than most next to talent.

I have Cooley, Jiricek, Mintyukov, and Gauthier ahead. There will probably be a few other guys that end up ahead. I agree that the upside isn't super high with Wright. But I don't know who those players are yet.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think him being given that exceptional status and all the hype at age 15 just didn't help his development.
Overall I'm not a huge fan of that system cause it puts way too much pressure and expectations on kids.

To me Wright seems like a solid 200 feet player that will rely on his wingers to create offense/drive play in order to unlock his solid shot.
So overall a good #2C that helps your team in all categories and that's fine for the Kraken as they already have Beniers.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean yeah probably, if you took a 19 year old that made the NHL and plucked him back to his Junior team, that team would presumably get a lot better.

Not sure what the point of DeBoer saying that was though.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Confused why Wright gets to play for Coachella. Didn't they basically cheat last time and call it "conditioning" until the League told them enough of that and he got sent back to Juniors?

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Confused why Wright gets to play for Coachella. Didn't they basically cheat last time and call it "conditioning" until the League told them enough of that and he got sent back to Juniors?

My interpretation: junior season is over so he's allowed to play in the AHL is my understanding.

The rule was made to protect the CHL from poaching non-NHL calibre players and diminishing its talent pool. Now that Wright's CHL season has ended, the protection from the rest of this season is no longer valid.

I'm less sure about the rule regarding his eligibility moving forward due to the exceptional status/Covid considerations.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Not at all concerned about Wright as a prospect yet, however I do admit I would've expected a bit more out of him in the playoff series (and WJC). Still, these are small samples.

Right now, hard to say Cooley and Jiricek are not the players coming out of the draft with the best D+1 seasons, and you can't argue they are trending incredibly well. Though you have to give it to Slafkovsky for making the NHL in the first place, and looking like he belonged. I think any of these four guys mentioned could end up being the best player of the draft, it's just way too early to say which. Slaf and Wright seem like players with longer development curves than your typical top 5 picks, and that's fine.

Reactions: wetcoast

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not at all concerned about Wright as a prospect yet, however I do admit I would've expected a bit more out of him in the playoff series (and WJC). Still, these are small samples.

Right now, hard to say Cooley and Jiricek are not the players coming out of the draft with the best D+1 seasons, and you can't argue they are trending incredibly well. Though you have to give it to Slafkovsky for making the NHL in the first place, and looking like he belonged. I think any of these four guys mentioned could end up being the best player of the draft, it's just way too early to say which. Slaf and Wright seem like players with longer development curves than your typical top 5 picks, and that's fine.
Nemec has been really good as well. Not sure how people view AHL offensive production from a Teenage Defenseman, but supposedly he's rock solid night in and out.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Kulich and Savoie have been incredible as well (took Savoie some time to recover from his shoulder surgery).

Lambert has also been excellent in the WHL.

Among forwards, I would take those 3 + Cooley ahead of Wright in a redraft. Probably Gauthier and Kasper too.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Kulich and Savoie have been incredible as well (took Savoie some time to recover from his shoulder surgery).

Among forwards, I would take those 3 + Cooley ahead of Wright in a redraft. Probably Gauthier and Kasper too.
I want to give Wright a bit more runway before agreeing on some of these guys you mention. I feel like it is a lot to be bounced around multiple leagues, and he has played in 3 this season. I didn't love his playoffs or WJC but he did well in his small stint in the AHL and his regular season in Windsor.

That said, I personally really like Gauthier too, and he is quickly accelerating up my list. Still prefer Wright to the other guys you mentioned, at least for now.

Reactions: wetcoast

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My interpretation: junior season is over so he's allowed to play in the AHL is my understanding.

The rule was made to protect the CHL from poaching non-NHL calibre players and diminishing its talent pool. Now that Wright's CHL season has ended, the protection from the rest of this season is no longer valid.

I'm less sure about the rule regarding his eligibility moving forward due to the exceptional status/Covid considerations.
I believe he should be AHL eligible next year although not 100% on it due to him not officially having a 16-year-old season (therefore hasn't played 4 seasons and is under the age of 20). Anyone else who enters the CHL at 15 is AHL eligible at 19 instead of 20 such as Spezza and Veleno due to how the NHL/CHL transfer agreement is written.

Reactions: Fatass

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Then on D, while guys like Jiricek and Nemec are obvious picks, can’t ignore the insane season Lane Hutson had. Obviously being quite undersized as a dman is a big strike against, but his skill level is insane, and he was ridiculously good for an NCAA rookie dman.

I’d also give a nod to Minty and Korchinski on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad