C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Then on D, while guys like Jiricek and Nemec are obvious picks, can’t ignore the insane season Lane Hutson had. Obviously being quite undersized as a dman is a big strike against, but his skill level is insane, and he was ridiculously good for an NCAA rookie dman.

I’d also give a nod to Minty and Korchinski on D.
Casey too.

Reactions: ponder

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Was able to stick and play In the NHL. Got injured.
Interesting that being a complete non-factor on one of the worst teams in the league is meaningful. Do you think he stuck because he deserved it with his play, they had no better options due to being quite terrible or because it made the team and GM look good to the media. I'm not sure myself which it was, but it certainly didn't see like option 1.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Interesting that being a complete non-factor on one of the worst teams in the league is meaningful. Do you think he stuck because he deserved it with his play, they had no better options due to being quite terrible or because it made the team and GM look good to the media. I'm not sure myself which it was, but it certainly didn't see like option 1.

I'm sure. and it most definitely wasn't because he deserved his spot on the roster. He would have been better served playing in Laval.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Any chance he gets consideration for the World Championships?

I doubt he will be available in time. unless there is a playoff upset. .

then sure, I hope he gets/accepts an invite.

I'd rather Wright than Fantilli. but I'd prefer Bedard most of all get/accept that invite. The other two will have to wait until next year.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Re-draft so far, I would have :
1.Cooley
2.Slafkovsky
3.Hutson
Hutson't had an interesting year, but I still don't think he goes in the first round of a re-draft. He hasn't shown anything people didn't already know about him at the draft. Yes he's confirmed his offensives upside, but no one was taking him if they were not already convinced of it.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

ffsffs1

Feb 25, 2023
IMO people are massively over-reacting to a bad 4 games.

Wright was good at the WJC despite not putting up big point totals - played very solid two-way game throughout the tournament. He looked great in the OHL regular season as well as the AHL.

I would have taken him #1 last year, and would have him at #3 after this year (behind Cooley and Jiricek). I could be talked into Nemec > Wright, but definitely wouldn't take any other 2022 draftee over him.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Hutson't had an interesting year, but I still don't think he goes in the first round of a re-draft. He hasn't shown anything people didn't already know about him at the draft. Yes he's confirmed his offensives upside, but no one was taking him if they were not already convinced of it.
Lol oh really. Name me the list of players who would go before him and why their progression is stronger to be an impact player.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
This maybe is one of the worst takes I've read on this forum.

-Following an outstanding season he was named a unanimous selection to the All-Hockey East First Team and All-Hockey East Rookie Team.
-He was also named Hockey East Rookie of the Year, Hockey East Scoring Champion and runner-up for Hockey East Player of the Year.
-He became the third defenseman to be named Hockey East Rookie of the Year, and the first since Ian Moran in 1992.[2]
- He was also awarded the Walter Brown Award, as the best American-born Division I men's college hockey player in New England. He became the second freshman to win the award since the award was established in 1953, and the first since Brian Leetch in 1987.
- He was subsequently named to the Hockey East All-Tournament Team and Tournament MVP.[5] With a goal during the regional semifinals of the NCAA Tournament against Western Michigan, Hutson surpassed Brian Leetch as the highest-scoring freshman in Hockey East history, a record set in 1987.[6]

...And you don't think he's good enough to be picked in the first round lol.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Habs would 100% take Hutson over mesar (26) in a redraft.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
IMO people are massively over-reacting to a bad 4 games.

Wright was good at the WJC despite not putting up big point totals - played very solid two-way game throughout the tournament. He looked great in the OHL regular season as well as the AHL.

I would have taken him #1 last year, and would have him at #3 after this year (behind Cooley and Jiricek). I could be talked into Nemec > Wright, but definitely wouldn't take any other 2022 draftee over him.
He actually wasn't that great in the regular season in the OHL despite his counting stats.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Lol oh really. Name me the list of players who would go before him and why their progression is stronger to be an impact player.
Players I would for sure still take above Hutson (not in order):

Logan Cooley
David Jiricek
Simon Nemec
Shane Wright
Juraj Slafkovsky
Pavel Mintyukov
Matthew Savoie
Cutter Gauthier
Jiri Kulich
Kevin Korchinski
Brad Lambert

Players I might still take above Hutson (not in order):

Joakim Kemell
Seamus Casey
Liam Ohgren
Frank Nazar
Jimmy Snuggerud
Tristan Luneau
Noah Ostlund
Lian Bischel

May be some I missed. IMO Hutson goes somewhere between the 11-20 in a redraft after his historic season. I could see him eventually being a top five pick in a redraft but could also seem him struggling at the NHL level

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I doubt he will be available in time. unless there is a playoff upset. .

then sure, I hope he gets/accepts an invite.

I'd rather Wright than Fantilli. but I'd prefer Bedard most of all get/accept that invite. The other two will have to wait until next year.

Why?

Reactions: ponder

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Logan Cooley
David Jiricek
Simon Nemec
Shane Wright
Juraj Slafkovsky
Pavel Mintyukov
Matthew Savoie
Cutter Gauthier
Jiri Kulich
Kevin Korchinski
Brad Lambert

Joakim Kemell
Seamus Casey
Liam Ohgren
Frank Nazar
Jimmy Snuggerud
Tristan Luneau
Noah Ostlund
Lian Bischel

May be some I missed. IMO Hutson goes somewhere between the 11-20 in a redraft after his historic season. I could see him eventually being a top five pick in a redraft but could also seem him struggling at the NHL level
Haha. I would not take any of those guys over Hutson aside from a few maybe. Why would you when in a Re-draft he is a top 5 pick right now. Top 8 at the worst.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’d think Hutson probably slides into the 20-40 range.

NHL teams aren’t surprised at his offensive capabilities, they knew he was among, if not the best offensive D in the draft.

They are projecting the NHL game, same reason Dumais likely doesn’t go in the 1st round despite his season.

Whether people like to admit it or not, a guy Hutson’s size on D isn’t going to be high on most teams lists.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Haha. I would not take any of those guys over Hutson aside from a few maybe. Why would you when in a Re-draft he is a top 5 pick right now. Top 8 at the worst.
Can other Habs fans chime in and claim this guy or are we dealing with a lone wolf nutcase?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Can other Habs fans chime in and claim this guy or are we dealing with a lone wolf nutcase?
Imo: a nutcase.

But it is easy for anyone to make this claim on a forum. The future could prove him right because Hutson's ultimate upside is a superstar.

However he purposely ignores the risk factor which is very high with Hutson. Easy to do when you have no skin in the game. He will either be right and gloat, or be wrong and never been seen again.

Best course of action on topics like these hyper boom or bust guys is to steer clear of long arguments with weirdos.

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Edmonton
I think most Habs fans would agree that Hutson has had an incredible season and displayed a really high offensive potential. His defensive game is a work in progress but he positions himself well and has a good stick. He'll have another 1-2 years in college to gain weight and refine his defensive game which will be necessary for him to stick at the NHL level but if other 5"10 defensemen can cut in the NHL, there's no reason why Lane Hutson can't. Easily a first round selection. Probably top 20.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Logan Cooley
David Jiricek
Simon Nemec
Shane Wright
Juraj Slafkovsky
Pavel Mintyukov
Matthew Savoie
Cutter Gauthier
Jiri Kulich
Kevin Korchinski
Brad Lambert

Joakim Kemell
Seamus Casey
Liam Ohgren
Frank Nazar
Jimmy Snuggerud
Tristan Luneau
Noah Ostlund
Lian Bischel

Casey? Can see an argument for both Ostlund and Nazar, but they didn't exaclty do mu h over Hutson this year...

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Name me 5 players that had the Season Hutson had that draft? His potential is massive. His defensive game needs some work for sure but will improve with his skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad