C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eh, not really. Compare it to say the Ostapchuk trade - three 1st round picks, a 5th rounder, and four players. Likely for just 1 year of Ostapchuk as well, he’s AHL eligible next year and IMO AHL ready.

I quite like Ostapchuk, but when 1 year of Ostapchuk costs more than 1 year of Wright, I’d say that’s a pretty good deal for Wright.

Exactly. The Wright trade draft picks seem more quantity than quality given when they are. Which was my original point. At first glance you see 7 picks and think, wow, that's a huge haul. Then you realize the vast majority of them are mid-to-late rounders and not a bunch of 1sts or 2nds.

Reactions: ponder

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
If you had seen Bergeron play as a junior and were comparing that to Wright now, as opposed to comparing Bergeron, the seasoned 37-year-old veteran to a player half his age, you might see it differently.

Anyway, we've stated our opinions and there's no need to beat it like a dead horse. If you want to have the last word on the matter, be my guest. I won't be debating it with you.
Hey man we can agree to disagree, no hostility here.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I'm a big believer in that D+1 prospects should play big meaning full MPG in all situations and climb the ladder rather than getting minimal MPG on what is a bit of a downer season in Montreal.

It wasn't a slight to Slaf as I feel this way about all prospects.
I wouldn't call 200 lbs tiny, your average hockey player is probably around the low 200 lbs end.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
It wasn’t the behemoth it was once thought to be.
Safe to say that McCarthy reporting to Kingston -- or not -- is the fulcrum for this deal really paying off for the Frontenacs. He's committed to go to Boston U like his brother, Case, so getting him to go to the OHL is going to be a tough sell for Kingston.

No one is saying this on the record, but I think a lot of people knew Wright wasn't going to be sent back to junior unless he was getting traded. That might have had an effect on Kingston's ability to fetch more in return. Just a hunch.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Eh, not really. Compare it to say the Ostapchuk trade in the WHL - three 1st round picks, a 5th rounder, and another four players that alone are worth 2-3 4th-6th round picks (Skyler Bruce is an ex-2nd round pick who has 22 points in 33 games this year, Owen Brees a 2022 5th round pick). Almost certainly just 1 year of Ostapchuk as well, he’ll be playing pro hockey next year (very likely AHL, outside shot at NHL).

I quite like Ostapchuk, but when 1 year of Ostapchuk costs a lot more than 1 year of Wright, I’d say that’s a pretty good deal for Wright.
If I’m not mistaken, you can’t trade 1st round picks in the OHL. Also quite a few teams had already gone all in the OHL so there were only so many picks to go around. They got a very good 17yo as well

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
If I’m not mistaken, you can’t trade 1st round picks in the OHL. Also quite a few teams had already gone all in the OHL so there were only so many picks to go around. They got a very good 17yo as well
Correct. Can't trade first-rounders in the OHL and Miedema is a talented player they will have for two-and-half seasons.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Ahhh nevermind, didn't realize that!

molodoy

Jun 27, 2022
Hi all. Sorry for my English in advance. I don't understand why Krakens have trade Wright? And what benefits to play in OHL for him without head club/team in NHL? As I understood anyone can trade him in the future or Seattle will have advantages?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Hi all. Sorry for my English in advance. I don't understand why Krakens have trade Wright? And what benefits to play in OHL for him without head club/team in NHL? As I understood anyone can trade him in the future or Seattle will have advantages?
Seattle did not trade him. They sent him back to the junior league (OHL) and the team that held his rights in that league traded him.

Seattle sent him back to junior so he could get more playing time there. He is not old enough yet to play in AHL (minor pro) and wasn't getting enough ice time in Seattle. This is the best place for him now. Next year, he can play in the AHL if he doesn't make the NHL.

Last edited:

molodoy

Jun 27, 2022
Seattle did not trade him. They sent him back to the junior league (OHL) and the team that held his rights in that league traded him.

Seattle sent him back to junior so he could get more playing time there. He is not old enough yet to play in AHL (minor pro) and wasn't getting enough ice time in Seattle. This is the best place for him now and next year, he can play in the AHL if he doesn't make the NHL.
Thank you for your explanation.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
So when is Wright supposed to make his Spits debut? And who is he going to be playing with?
Tomorrow against Saginaw in all likelihood.

As for who he’ll be playing with. Matthew Maggio and Liam Greentree is my guess but it could be any combination of anyone - Spits brought in quite a few players so there will probably be a few games of feeling everything out.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Exactly. The Wright trade draft picks seem more quantity than quality given when they are. Which was my original point. At first glance you see 7 picks and think, wow, that's a huge haul. Then you realize the vast majority of them are mid-to-late rounders and not a bunch of 1sts or 2nds.
Lol oh my that’s embarrassing. Shitting on trade when you don’t even know the rules.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
How come they aren't allowed to trade 1sts?
To protect teams from their own stupidity, although I'm sure that's not how it was worded when they passed the rule. This story doesn't really get into the why, but confirms the rule.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How come they aren't allowed to trade 1sts?
Rule they set up quite a few years ago to try and keep the league more competitive instead of having super teams who then stay garbage for a few years because they traded multiple 1sts in a “go for it” year.

I dislike the rule

Reactions: kingpest19

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lol oh my that’s embarrassing. Shitting on trade when you don’t even know the rules.
Lol at not understanding the point I was making about the draft picks.

I didn't "shit" on the trade because I didn't even comment on the other pieces of the trade, nor the trade as a whole, which might very well be really good for the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad