C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No doubt Wright is a better skater than both those guys. I think Monahan has a better feel for the game, but he's not the athlete Shane is.

I'd like to see how his motor sustains over the course of a full season (once the excitement of the newness of playing in the NHL fades). I'd also like to see him get more comfortable initiating contact and making plays while getting leaned on. That should improve as he continues to mature, but I'm really not sure how maturing he still has left - he was a bit of an early bloomer.

He's got the right raw materials to be a develop into a good NHL player but he's not there yet. Honestly I just don't see him as a very high upside type of player.
I think it's about consistency. If he plays more often like he did in the Gold Medal game, where he was initiating contact on the forecheck and taking the puck off guys, then I don't see why he can't be a high end player in the mold of a Toews/Bergeron/O'Reilly.

Again, don't focus on the names as a literal "he will be AS GOOD as these guys", but more so that type of player -- a top line two-way forward who is good defensively but also puts up top line numbers.

I'm also curious to see how he does in London. My contention is that part -- not all, but part -- of his struggles is Kingston's piss-poor record at development. We'll see if he looks the exact same level in London as he did in Kingston or if London's track record of development can bring out that "other level" in Wright.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Anyone know anything about Windosr, Are they any good at developing players?
Former Boston Bruins centre Marc Savard is their coach. My brother who is pretty knowledgeable about the OHL says he's a good coach. He's only been there since 2021 so not fair to attribute anything before that to him.

Reactions: Sad People

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
How can you compare the style of a passive player like Wright to Bergeron?
OK, I'm going to assume this is not rhetorical and is a genuine question because you're curious.

Quite simply, it's because Shane Wright is a smart two-way centre who demonstrates a lot of the same traits that Bergeron does. Not all of them, mind you, he's not a carbon copy. There are few player comparisons that align perfectly.

By your question, you suggest that Wright is passive and so any comparison to Bergeron is invalid. I disagree with your assessment of Wright being "passive" to the point that he's poor defensively. If you want to say that he's less physical or less intense than Bergeron that would be a fair and reasonable comment to make, I guess.

I think that Wright has much better offensive upside and a way better shot than Bergeron had at the same age. I saw Bergeron play live as a 17-year-old in his draft year -- quite a bit. If I was forced to guess what kind of career Wright will have, I would say that he'll outscore Bergeron but not be as good defensively.

I am not getting hung up on these differences and avoiding the Bergeron comparison because, like I said earlier, we're not talking about a carbon copy here.

Have you ever heard of Kyle Woodlief and Red Line Report? I buy his draft guide every year and he's been running an independent scouting business for years. He makes player comparisons for a living, you might say. Here's what he had to say about Shane Wright in his 2022 draft guide.

Attachments

• Shane Wright RLR.png
    Shane Wright RLR.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 8

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
OK, I'm going to assume this is not rhetorical and is a genuine question because you're curious.

Quite simply, it's because Shane Wright is a smart two-way centre who demonstrates a lot of the same traits that Bergeron does. Not all of them, mind you, he's not a carbon copy. There are few player comparisons that align perfectly.

By your question, you suggest that Wright is passive and so any comparison to Bergeron is invalid. I disagree with your assessment of Wright being "passive" to the point that he's poor defensively. If you want to say that he's less physical or less intense than Bergeron that would be a fair and reasonable comment to make, I guess.

I think that Wright has much better offensive upside and a way better shot than Bergeron had at the same age. I saw Bergeron play live as a 17-year-old in his draft year -- quite a bit. If I was forced to guess what kind of career Wright will have, I would say that he'll outscore Bergeron but not be as good defensively.

I am not getting hung up on these differences and avoiding the Bergeron comparison because, like I said earlier, we're not talking about a carbon copy here.

Have you ever heard of Kyle Woodlief and Red Line Report? I buy his draft guide every year and he's been running an independent scouting business for years. He makes player comparisons for a living, you might say. Here's what he had to say about Shane Wright in his 2022 draft guide.
Oh I wasn't trying to compare the skill of both players. I just think Wright style on the ice is basically polar opposite to Bergeron's. Even if Wright ends up becoming as good defensively as Patrice i don't think comparing the 2 is accurate.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Oh I wasn't trying to compare the skill of both players. I just think Wright style on the ice is basically polar opposite to Bergeron's. Even if Wright ends up becoming as good defensively as Patrice i don't think comparing the 2 is accurate.
If you had seen Bergeron play as a junior and were comparing that to Wright now, as opposed to comparing Bergeron, the seasoned 37-year-old veteran to a player half his age, you might see it differently.

Anyway, we've stated our opinions and there's no need to beat it like a dead horse. If you want to have the last word on the matter, be my guest. I won't be debating it with you.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, I’m not sure how much development Shane needs at this point and what a coach could do with him in a hand-full of months. He just needs games and a good summer of strength and conditioning.

I think Marc Savard could teach him a lot.

How to buy time with the puck to make a play - not really a strength of Wright's right now, battle technique, etc...

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I think Marc Savard could teach him a lot.

How to buy time with the puck to make a play - not really a strength of Wright's right now, battle technique, etc...
I agree that Marc Savard can teach him a lot -- even in five months. Wright still has lots of developing and learning to do and being coached by a former NHL centre will help him immensely.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At first glance, acquiring 7 draft picks seems like a massive haul on top of the players they got in return, until you see that only one is a 2nd and only one is a 3rd. Everything else is 4ths, 5ths and 6ths.

Well, they are only getting less than half a season of Wright. That is a boatload to give up for that.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Well, they are only getting less than half a season of Wright. That is a boatload to give up for that.
Eh, not really. Compare it to say the Ostapchuk trade in the WHL - three 1st round picks, a 5th rounder, and another four players that alone are worth 2-3 4th-6th round picks (Skyler Bruce is an ex-2nd round pick who has 22 points in 33 games this year, Owen Brees a 2022 5th round pick). Almost certainly just 1 year of Ostapchuk as well, he’ll be playing pro hockey next year (very likely AHL, outside shot at NHL).

I quite like Ostapchuk, but when 1 year of Ostapchuk costs a lot more than 1 year of Wright, I’d say that’s a pretty good deal for Wright.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad