C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yea Wright definitely wasn’t a puck hound. He had that one shift in the semis I think it was and a good finals, but up until, he wasn’t bad but hardly a difference maker.

He wasn’t breaking up plays all tournament long, and I’d say his offense was average up until the fjnals. Most of his points were on the PP and on the back of Bedards work

You need to learn the rules
You also thought Fantilli was better than Bedard so I’m not going to spend much time responding to this.

Wright was Canadas best forward defensively

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Shane Wright was "still one of the best overall forwards" at the world junior tournament. Geez, you'd never know that reading Hockey's Future Prospects Board.

As I said in another thread, the people who are saying Wright didn't have a good tournament are people who are still judging him by their standard of what *they* think he should be doing and not judging him based on how he actually played.

Wright played like a strong two-way center who was a point per game in the tournament, but people will be critical of him because he didn't average 2 points per game and wasn't a dynamic, end-to-end rusher making highlight reel plays.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I know of the rule, but are you sure it kicks in even though Wright didn't play in the OHL as a 16yo?
Yes.

20yo players weren’t allowed to play in the OHL at 21 for example just because they skipped the Covid year

Wright can only play OHL or NHL. AHL is not an option….100% on that.
99% sure this is incorrect.

He’s now played his 4 years of eligibility after this season so he would be able to go minor pro next season. Same reason why Veleno could play AHL at 19

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Sponsor
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
I followed Shane Wright alot leading up to the draft, I don't get the hate.

I love him, I think he's an awesome guy and a great player..

Honestly this years draft is going to be a toss up between Slafkovsky/wright/cooley/nemac etc for the next 5 yrs.. Who knows who will turn out the best but I really don't understand the hate wright gets.. He's a great guy it's pretty messed up honestly lol.

Hope the best for him and I wish personally as a Habs fan we could've had both him and Slafkovsky lol

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yes.

20yo players weren’t allowed to play in the OHL at 21 for example just because they skipped the Covid year

99% sure this is incorrect.

He’s now played his 4 years of eligibility after this season so he would be able to go minor pro next season. Same reason why Veleno could play AHL at 19
He’s wrong - Just because he didn’t play doesn’t mean he gained an extra year of eligibility.

You’re absolutely WRIGHT on this on mate.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
As I said in another thread, the people who are saying Wright didn't have a good tournament are people who are still judging him by their standard of what *they* think he should be doing and not judging him based on how he actually played.

Wright played like a strong two-way center who was a point per game in the tournament, but people will be critical of him because he didn't average 2 points per game and wasn't a dynamic, end-to-end rusher making highlight reel plays.

Wright is the classic case of misjudged expectations. A lot of us here believed he would be a dynamic offensive player during his draft year and would absolutely dominated a WJC if he were to play one during is D+1 year but that is not the type of player Wright is. He is not going to become a 90 point player that drives his line in the NHL. He will become a good cerebral two way player who will impact the game in subtle ways; always helping his team win.

Reactions: Fatass

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
You also thought Fantilli was better than Bedard so I’m not going to spend much time responding to this.

Wright was Canadas best forward defensively
Lol I said I might be starting to have Fantilli ahead of Bedard BEFORE the tournament. Pretty sure every one here has said something they were wrong about or would take back…

And I’m mature enough to admit I was wrong.

Wright was invisible for most of the tournament. He was good defensively but he wasn’t some “Bergeron” type player for Canada out there like you made him out to be.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol I said I might be starting to have Fantilli ahead of Bedard BEFORE the tournament. Pretty sure every one here has said something they were wrong about or would take back…

And I’m mature enough to admit I was wrong.

Wright was invisible for most of the tournament. He was good defensively but he wasn’t some “Bergeron” type player for Canada out there like you made him out to be.
Every stat, and eye test, completely disagrees with you.

He was a great two way player, probably Canadas best defensively, the entire tournament

ijuka

May 14, 2016

He was a great two way player, probably Canadas best defensively, the entire tournament
Well if Lassi Alanen's cards are to be believed, at least Joshua Roy was better both defensively as well as offensively, and Bedard's obvious.

Shane Wright also ranked pretty low in game score/60, nowhere near the best on his team. Although I haven't subscribed to get all the cards.

But those cards had Fabian Lysell as an overall 95 player so I wonder how much weight I'd put into them for such a short tournament. Think Lysell was trash. I think its defensive stat is rather arbitrary and to me it makes no sense that Logan Cooley has twice the game score/60 of Shane Wright but is a 87 overall when Wright is a 97 overall.

Jul 10, 2010
Wright is the classic case of misjudged expectations. A lot of us here believed he would be a dynamic offensive player during his draft year and would absolutely dominated a WJC if he were to play one during is D+1 year but that is not the type of player Wright is. He is not going to become a 90 point player that drives his line in the NHL. He will become a good cerebral two way player who will impact the game in subtle ways; always helping his team win.
I think theres alot of truth in this, and correct me if wrong but he was the first OHL exceptional player after McDavid (Laf was in the Q) and that led to people thinking hed have the same offensive skills as McDavid but thats just not Wrights game. Canada also had Bedard who is the closest to McDavid in terms of offensive skills in a decade and yeah i think people expected Wright to be a different player.

Wright is a guy who does everything very, very well, but lacks a truely elite skill such as skating or shooting

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I think theres alot of truth in this, and correct me if wrong but he was the first OHL exceptional player after McDavid (Laf was in the Q) and that led to people thinking hed have the same offensive skills as McDavid but thats just not Wrights game. Canada also had Bedard who is the closest to McDavid in terms of offensive skills in a decade and yeah i think people expected Wright to be a different player.

Wright is a guy who does everything very, very well, but lacks a truely elite skill such as skating or shooting
Going to disagree with you there. I would say his shot/release is elite. Not as good as Bedard's, but his wrist shot is elite. Don't use his point totals as an argument against this because there were other elite shooters from the 2022 draft who had fewer goals than Wright -- Kemell and Ohgren to name two.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

That’s actually not entirely true. Right off the top of my head, Roy and Bedard had better defense analytics than Wright.

He was good defensively but he wasn’t the best if you look at the numbers or even the eye test. For several games , he wasn’t noticeable, I thought he had a really good gold medal game, and he had a few shifts in the finals.

But for 2-3 other games, he wasn’t noticeable or a difference maker on either side of the puck.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That’s actually not entirely true. Right off the top of my head, Roy and Bedard had better defense analytics than Wright.

He was good defensively but he wasn’t the best if you look at the numbers or even the eye test. For several games , he wasn’t noticeable, I thought he had a really good gold medal game, and he had a few shifts in the finals.

But for 2-3 other games, he wasn’t noticeable or a difference maker on either side of the puck.
Bedard absolutely in no way shape or form was better defensively.

Another stratosphere offensively, like everyone else in the tournament, but certainly not defensively.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Another stratosphere offensively, like everyone else in the tournament, but certainly not defensively.
Check the analytics. Bedard was in the 98th percentile. Roy was in the 94th percentile. Wright was 89th percentile.

So instead of saying that “all the number favor Wright” maybe you should actually check those numbers before saying things like that.

Additionally, on faceoffs, Stankoven and Gaucher were ahead.

And for what it’s worth, I’m not a huge believer in analytics. I think they are overused, very subjective and don’t always say the full story, but you’re the one who brought up the “numbers” so I’m just commenting on those

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad