C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I don't think he will be Bergeron, but I am still with @landy92mack29 on this one. I think Wright will have a good NHL career as a high end 2C. It's an easy time to shit on him but not an easy time to believe in him. Keep working Shaner
I think he is still gonna be solid high end two-way 2c. He still has potential for a good first line-center but that might not be so likely.

He has been steady in this tournament so far. Hard to be flashy when Bedard is the focal point of your team.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Except that Beck is:

Better defensively than Wright
Better on faceoffs than Wright

Not saying he'll be as good as Bergeron (who will?)
You know Wright has been in the NHL, AHL and playing top-line WJC minutes while Beck has played OHL and 13th forward WJC minutes.

How do you compare those and call one better? How would Beck do playing on Seattle this year? Who's to say.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You know Wright has been in the NHL, AHL and playing top-line WJC minutes while Beck has played OHL and 13th forward WJC minutes.

How do you compare those and call one better? How would Beck do playing on Seattle this year? Who's to say.

I watched games when they were both on the ice.

Beck was better defensively and on faceoffs, so was stylistically closer to Bergeron.

I have nothing against Wright, I just don't understand why people paint him as a Bergeron type player. He doesn't play like him at all.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

I think Wright is a better prospect, but Beck looked better in pre-season then Wright did at any point at the NHL level to my knowledge (I didn't watch all games, but watch many).

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

His NHL, AHL and WJC careers thus far aren't anything to write home about. His last OHL year was also underwhelming based on expectations.

He's on the right track with his 4g + 0a in 5 AHL games, hopefully he can keep it up and get a legitimate shot at proving himself with Seattle next year.

Not arguing for or against Beck, it's too soon to tell for either one of these guys tbh.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Shane Wright isn't a super flashy player, so people tend to be disappointed by his performance, but he can still get results. I think he's also in his own head a bit, as he has missed quite a few grade-A chances, including yesterday's chance in the slot all alone.

For me, his stock has not fallen at all, but I would be lying if the separation between him and Logan Cooley doesn't feel even more pronounced after this tournament.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Shane Wright isn't a super flashy player, so people tend to be disappointed by his performance, but he can still get results. I think he's also in his own head a bit, as he has missed quite a few grade-A chances, including yesterday's chance in the slot all alone.

For me, his stock has not fallen at all, but I would be lying if the separation between him and Logan Cooley doesn't feel even more pronounced after this tournament.
In the middle of a dream
In the middle of a dream you call his name
Oh Shane Wright
Oh Shane Wright
His game will turn you on

• Haha
Reactions: JohnLennon

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I started watching Wright more closely after we won the lotto last summer and again during this tournament and jesus christ that Dvorak comparison is spot on in what I see when watching Wright. Don't see that desire to take over games, he'll be a player but I think he tops out at an above avg 2c with an above average shot and defensive play which for Seattle I'm sure they'll take to slot in behind beniers.

There's a clip as well from somewhere this summer in the lead up to the Draft where Wright talks about Golf and Guitar as being other focuses he's gotten into. I'm starting to wonder if Wright is one of those people who is Great at everything but doesn't focus enough to be amazing at one thing. I'm sure everyone in here knows someone like that. Compare that to the greats in the game they've all got a thing, Bergeron 200ft play, Crosby down low, Ovechkin top of the circle, Mcdavid Speed, Kane's hands. There all good at the others but they all have one thing that you identify that makes them elite, I can't tell you what it is for Wright.

With the above said I like this take, i don't think my view of wright has changed, but my opinion elevated watching Jiricek, Nemec and Cooley during this tournament which makes me think they'll be bigger difference makers then Wright will be. Wish Slaf had gone as well so we could get an apples to apples comparison but that's in the rearview now.

Reactions: JohnLennon

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Shane Wright's floor is probably 40-50 points. Bedard is just on another level and has stolen the spotlight at the World Juniors. He's the best prospect since McDavid quite easily. I think you are undermining Wright. He isn't really NHL ready and still had 2 points in 8 games while averaging only 8 minutes and 30 seconds a game in icetime. Slafkovsky is averaging 1 point every 3 games while playing roughly 3 minutes more a game than Wright. Wright has 4 goals in 5 games in the AHL which is great for 19 years old. That's where he should be playing this year but can't because he is too young and it's either the NHL or OHL for him. I expect Seattle will send him back to Kingston after World Juniors so they don't burn a year of his ELC. I think Wright can have Nico Hischier like impact on the game being a good 2 way 1st line center. 80-90 point upside for Wright seems more likely than 40-50.
Wright's 2 points in 8 NHL games actually flatters his play. His assist was the most phantom of assists I can recall. His 4 AHL goals were on 11 shots... I don't see him shooting at 36%. And he's only got 1 ES point this tournament....

He's absolutely having a poor tournament vs expectations, and there is nothing to suggest Wright is capable of 60+ points in a season, let alone 80-90.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
There's a clip as well from somewhere this summer in the lead up to the Draft where Wright talks about Golf and Guitar as being other focuses he's gotten into. I'm starting to wonder if Wright is one of those people who is Great at everything but doesn't focus enough to be amazing at one thing.

90% of the NHL golfs, I don't think that's an issue.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Amazing goal! What a play by Shane Wright; such a clutch goal. His line is getting better as the tournament advances. Glad for the kid.

Reactions: Realgud

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I was at the game tonight and got a first-hand look at Wright.

He plays a smart game and has great hockey sense, especially in the defensive zone. He showed great hustle and work rate -- especially defensively. As a centre, his defensive support was first-rate.

He also righted the ship on faceoffs, winning more than 50 per cent of his draws.

He moves the puck quickly and smartly, not really a dangler, although he showed he can do that with the effort on his goal.

He also has a plus shot with deceptive release. Still, I think he'll be best served going back to junior and excelling in all facets of the game. I don't think Seattle wants to rush him and turn him into a checker.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Shane Wright reminds me a lot more of Bryan Little if anything but with more upside and talent.

I see a lot of John Tavares in Shane Wright, maybe a better skating. But I wouldn't be surprised if he has a similar career to Tavares, reliable top 6 centerman, not flashy, but good with the puck and strong on puck retrieval, great net front presence.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Wright was pretty good but not great at the WJC. He'll benefit from going back to junior, as pretty much everyone on here already knew.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I see a lot of John Tavares in Shane Wright, maybe a better skating. But I wouldn't be surprised if he has a similar career to Tavares, reliable top 6 centerman, not flashy, but good with the puck and strong on puck retrieval, great net front presence.
I mean Tavares was like twice the player that Wright is as a prospect.

Reactions: jfhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad