C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
Who could have possibly seen this coming??

Seen that Wright is a ppg player (2 points off from top-5) in the tournament or that you would show up knock him in this thread after a scoreless game?

I guess your efforts to downplay Bedard weren't going too well so you had to bounce back in here.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He hasn't really looked that bad to me to be honest. He was just supremely overrated so now the expectations are sky high.

When someone is hyped as much as Wright, you expect a certain swag, ability, and skills. He has shown nothing.

Has he been bad? No. He has played fine for a 2C and done alright.. but this guy was supposed to be a #1 overall pick with game changing skills. He has shown nothing in that regard.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Seattle has to send him back to the OHL once the tournament finishes, right? He's obviously not beyond the junior level.
"Has to"? No, they don't have to, but it would be a wise decision for his development to get top minutes in junior hockey. He is not "too good for junior" this year as some have suggested.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Seen that Wright is a ppg player (2 points off from top-5) in the tournament or that you would show up knock him in this thread after a scoreless game?

I guess your efforts to downplay Bedard weren't going too well so you had to bounce back in here.
He's not been very good. Nowhere near the player he was hyped to be, as predicted.

He's supposed to be dominating this tournament and he's been mostly invisible.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
He hasn't been bad. But he looks like a junior player, not someone who's ready to make an impact in the NHL.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
"Has to"? No, they don't have to, but it would be a wise decision for his development to get top minutes in junior hockey. He is not "too good for junior" this year as some have suggested.
He did kill the AHL in his brief stint there, which is several levels beyond the OHL.

He really belongs in the AHL, or on an NHL team that is in a position to play him. But as those two are not possibilities, I'd send him down too.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

He may be 2 off the top 5 but he’s had a lot of PP time with Bedard who is clearly running this show. A few of his points, were literal tap in. So a PPG I don’t find very impressive.

That being said, he certainly hasn’t been bad. He just hasn’t impressed necessarily. His line really hasn’t done anything these last few games, he’s rarely noticeable . I don’t understand the trashing that some give him but he’s not impressing. He just isn’t.

I think he still becomes a good 2C

Reactions: majormajor

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Also, saying that he is only “2 points off the top 5” is misleading. There’s only been 5 games played per team so far so there are tons of players in that 2 point spread.

He’s actually 14th in scoring and I would argue of all 2022 1st round picks in the tournament he has looked among the “least good”. (Cooley, Snuggerud, MgRoarty, Gauthier, Mesar, Jiricek, Nemec, Kulich, Bystedt, Korchinski)

I think the only ones who have played worse than Wright are the 3 Swedes (Lekkerimaki, Ostlund and Ohgren)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
He did kill the AHL in his brief stint there, which is several levels beyond the OHL.

He really belongs in the AHL, or on an NHL team that is in a position to play him. But as those two are not possibilities, I'd send him down too.
Considering he missed almost an entire season as a 16yo (except for a few games at world under-18 championship) I think he should have been in junior from the get-go this season. No harm will be done by him finishing the season in junior.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not enough swags/60 for HFBoards I guess. I think he's been overall good as a checking center, probably Canada's best defensive forward off the puck. Will be interested to see if he can elevate his game in the final two games of the tournament. Definitely want to see more from him offensively, he's got a great shot but he needs to use it.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Not enough swags/60 for HFBoards I guess. I think he's been overall good as a checking center, probably Canada's best defensive forward off the puck. Will be interested to see if he can elevate his game in the final two games of the tournament. Definitely want to see more from him offensively, he's got a great shot but he needs to use it.
Playing the bumper position on the power play, too, something he's never done before this tournament.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Suspect player to say the least. His high end is 2nd line C. My gut tells me low end 2C.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he just needs to get some minutes at this point, not playing because of the pandemic and then Seattle...not playing him has hurt the development.

I think if Seattle isn't committed to playing him, send him down and let him get ice time. It's better than no ice time.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
In all seriousness I thought he was excellent in his last game for Seattle vs Montreal, obviously extra motivation there. The problem is probably that the expectations from his rookie OHL season to his draft season were so high. And he lost a lot of game time from the cancelled season.

I’m not sure his line gels that well here at the tournament. I think some more simplicity in his game here would help, and just work. He’s a real smart player, just keep the feet moving, get to positive areas of the ice and good things will come.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In all seriousness I thought he was excellent in his last game for Seattle vs Montreal, obviously extra motivation there. The problem is probably that the expectations from his rookie OHL season to his draft season were so high. And he lost a lot of game time from the cancelled season.

I’m not sure his line gels that well here at the tournament. I think some more simplicity in his game here would help, and just work. He’s a real smart player, just keep the feet moving, get to positive areas of the ice and good things will come.
Yeah its a weird line, 2 shooters and Othmann has been off all tournament. Hes had some bright spots tonight but should be atleast physically dominating if the offense isnt there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad