C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Congrats, Kid! You still need to play the World Juniors this Christmas! Looking forward to you playing a leading role.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Good goal by Wright. His shot is already a strenght at the NHL level, but he still needs some work in other areas. Will be fun to see him at the WJC

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I'm not so sure yet that we'll see him at the WJC. Francis has seemed open to the idea but has been non-committal. Wright is starting to hit his stride, and it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't released.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
That's pretty much what I expect. Who knows, I could see his prime maybe match Monahan's.
Sean Monahan had three 30-goal seasons with a career high of 34. He had three 60-point seasons plus a career-high of 82 points in 2018-19 when he had the aforementioned career-best 34 goals.

So, you're saying that Shane Wright's ceiling is 34 goals and 82 points and you're not that sure he can reach that? Or are you saying that Shane Wright's ceiling is 30 goals and 60 points? I'm wondering what you mean by "prime" because Monahan only had that one really good season. Are you talking about his average production during his prime or his peak production? It's not much of a difference in goals, but it's a significant difference in points.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Sean Monahan had three 30-goal seasons with a career high of 34. He had three 60-point seasons plus a career-high of 82 points in 2018-19 when he had the aforementioned career-best 34 goals.

So, you're saying that Shane Wright's ceiling is 34 goals and 82 points and you're not that sure he can reach that? Or are you saying that Shane Wright's ceiling is 30 goals and 60 points? I'm wondering what you mean by "prime" because Monahan only had that one really good season. Are you talking about his average production during his prime or his peak production? It's not much of a difference in goals, but it's a significant difference in points.
I'd say Monahan type production is likely and a good comparable, but his optimal ceiling in terms of average production is probably higher... you never know (W)right ;)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I'd say Monahan type production is likely and a good comparable, but his optimal ceiling in terms of average production is probably higher... you never know (W)right ;)
I agree, you never know, but IMHO Monahan-type production would be at the low end of the range I think Wright is capable of. I think Wright has a few 40-goal seasons in his future with his shot. I also think people are severely underestimating his overall upside because of his struggles in the first two months of his rookie season as an NHLer. He averaged an assist per game in the OHL as a 17-year-old and all of the sudden people don't think he can drive a line or has any playmaking skills. Making the jump from the OHL to the NHL is easy for an NHLer, don't ya know? Just ask Joe Thornton, who had better production in his DY than Wright did. (2.06 ppg to 1.49 ppg)

Players are not finished products at 18; they have lots of learning and developing left -- even high first-round picks.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
You shouldn't be happy until he learns to keep his head up. Kid is going to.have a short career if a guy like Schenn hits him again.
Fyi Wright got rocked pretty hard in preseason too. Happens very often with rookies. Slafkovksy was winded, but didn't suffer any injury.

Almost like you wish the kid to get hurt... just to be right on the internet... We saw plenty of that in the hit thread too. Shameful.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I agree, you never know, but IMHO Monahan-type production would be at the low end of the range I think Wright is capable of. I think Wright has a few 40-goal seasons in his future with his shot. I also think people are severely underestimating his overall upside because of his struggles in the first two months of his rookie season as an NHLer. He averaged an assist per game in the OHL as a 17-year-old and all of the sudden people don't think he can drive a line or has any playmaking skills. Making the jump from the OHL to the NHL is easy for an NHLer, don't ya know? Just ask Joe Thornton, who had better production in his DY than Wright did. (2.06 ppg to 1.49 ppg)

Players are not finished products at 18; they have lots of learning and developing left -- even high first-round picks.
That's fair. I think his shot is good enough to be a 40g guy but he'll either need to get much better at creating chances or play with guys that are creating them for him. He just got drafted so he'll get better for sure. It's so hard to project recent draftees with the hockey they missed...

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
Fyi Wright got rocked pretty hard in preseason too. Happens very often with rookies. Slafkovksy was winded, but didn't suffer any injury.

Almost like you wish the kid to get hurt... just to be right on the internet... We saw plenty of that in the hit thread too. Shameful.
Don't worry too much about what that goof poster has to say about Slaf

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's pretty much what I expect. Who knows, I could see his prime maybe match Monahan's.
This has been my comparable for some time. Wright is a smart, opportunistic player like Monahan. Without an elite winger, he's probably a ~25g ~55p center. But if Seattle is able to find a top 10 winger in free agency, I could see Wright scaring 35+ goals and 80 points.

I don't think he'll ever be a play driver though.

Reactions: jj cale

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

Not as hard as Slaf got hit. Kid has to keep his head up.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This has been my comparable for some time. Wright is a smart, opportunistic player like Monahan. Without an elite winger, he's probably a ~25g ~55p center. But if Seattle is able to find a top 10 winger in free agency, I could see Wright scaring 35+ goals and 80 points.

I don't think he'll ever be a play driver though.

He just hates having the puck on his stick. Very little patience. Give him a winger like Bratt and the goals could pile in.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

No I'm saying my median expectation is closer to prime Monahan. Prime for prime. Could be higher. Could be lower.

I certainly understand that he has a lot of development left to do but there's not been any point last year or this where Shane Wright fits the playdriver mold. He's a crafty player but not a puck carrier or a checker/retriever, so a lot of his production will depend on his linemates filling out those roles for him so he can just put the puck in the net.

Reactions: jfhabs

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No I'm saying my median expectation is closer to prime Monahan. Prime for prime. Could be higher. Could be lower.

I certainly understand that he has a lot of development left to do but there's not been any point last year or this where Shane Wright fits the playdriver mold. He's a crafty player but not a puck carrier or a checker/retriever, so a lot of his production will depend on his linemates filling out those roles for him so he can just put the puck in the net.
Yeah he's should score a fair amount of goals, but most of them are gonna look like his first, where his linemates do a lot of the work on the zone entry / retrieval, and he finds a soft spot to get his shot off.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Yikes. Even ignoring the bad bounce, that kind of backhand pass up the middle is never a good pass, especially when his back is to the play.
He looked over his shoulder real quick and saw Korchinski was wide open. I think he just passed it too low. If it wasn't for that then it would have led to a great breakout.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He looked over his shoulder real quick and saw Korchinski was wide open. I think he just passed it too low. If it wasn't for that then it would have led to a great breakout.
It's still a high risk play, and he's really not able to see if there is a forechecker streaking down the middle of the ice to either intercept the pass or put immediate pressure on Korchinski. Yes, it could result in a clean breakout if executed flawlessly. But it could also end with the puck in the back of your net.

The right play there is to either play it behind the net for Korchinski, or make a reversal on his forehand up the right wing boards.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
It's still a high risk play, and he's really not able to see if there is a forechecker streaking down the middle of the ice to either intercept the pass or put immediate pressure on Korchinski. Yes, it could result in a clean breakout if executed flawlessly. But it could also end with the puck in the back of your net.

The right play there is to either play it behind the net for Korchinski, or make a reversal on his forehand up the right wing boards.
Neither would be easy since he had opposing players on both sides. There is a good chance he turns it over on both.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I really like Wright. Think he’s going to be the best player (from the top five) in his draft. Think Seattle lucked out to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad