C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Oh damn you’re right, I totally misremembered that! Still, I’d be surprised if he’s so good it seems unfair, I expect him up be good but not incredible.
You’re credibility went out the window when you made up the fact he was cut from the team. Troll somewhere else.

SDWings

Jun 21, 2019
I attended his game last night in San Diego. The snipe late was elite but otherwise he was pretty invisible.
he made a couple cute passes but nothing play driving which i knida expected based on he pedigree. . My novice eye expected more.

Reactions: Kojo

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He reminds me of Michael Ryder, stylistically. Heavy shot. I think that's what he's gonna be, but better. With his shot, he can definitely score 40+ goals in the NHL, but I doubt he'll ever drive the play. If he does, good for him and Seattle. The kid had it rough since 2021. I'm happy he's finally gaining results.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
It's unfortunate he can't stay longer in the AHL, it's the best place for him.

After the World Jrs, lets say Seattle plays him in game 8. How many does he have to sit after before he can be sent on another AHL conditioning stint? That's a better plan than sending him back to the OHL right away after world Jrs, as he'll get another 6-7 games in the AHL.

He'll be sent back to junior at some point, but there isn't much to learn there.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

After the World Jrs, lets say Seattle plays him in game 8. How many does he have to sit after before he can be sent on another AHL conditioning stint? That's a better plan than sending him back to the OHL right away after world Jrs, as he'll get another 6-7 games in the AHL.

He'll be sent back to junior at some point, but there isn't much to learn there.
He has plenty to learn in juniors. Go be the guy on a team and take them on a deep playoff run. Dominate the league at both ends of the ice. These are things he is yet to have really done at the OHL level. Hopefully he gets traded over Christmas and heads right to the OHL.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
He has plenty to learn in juniors. Go be the guy on a team and take them on a deep playoff run. Dominate the league at both ends of the ice. These are things he is yet to have really done at the OHL level. Hopefully he gets traded over Christmas and heads right to the OHL.
I see your point, and you are right. However, he would learn a hell of a lot more doing the same in the AHL against men rather than boys in the OHL, as far as getting ready for the NHL goes.

Starring in the World Juniors would be very good for him, especially since his play was so tepid and uninspired last World Juniors.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

I'm pretty sure Seattle can't send him back to the AHL for another conditioning stint. Teams can only do that once per season as I understand it. I read that somewhere, but can't find the link. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

EDIT: This is a screencap from the CBA about the conditioning stint. Nothing in this rule limits it to once per season as I read it.

1669653104394.png

As for having not much to learn there, I disagree. There is some unfinished business* there for him and given that he missed his 16yo season in the OHL, I think it's better for him to get lots of playing time this year in junior then the occasional fourth-line scraps he was getting with the Kraken. Maybe things will be different after the world juniors, but my hunch tells me Kingston will trade Wright and Seattle will send him back to the OHL.

The unfinished business would include ironing out some of things that made him NOT be the No. 1 pick such as driving to the hard areas more and not relying on his shot from the outside -- and leading his team on a long playoff run.

Last edited:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
If you want a knowledgeable, balanced take on Shane Wright's performance so far this season, why Seattle has been reluctant to give him more ice time -- and his potential as an NHLer, I recommend this analysis by Justin Bourne.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If you want a knowledgeable, balanced take on Shane Wright's performance so far this season, why Seattle has been reluctant to give him more ice time -- and his potential as an NHLer, I recommend this analysis by Justin Bourne.
This is a great article and highlights a lot of what I have been seeing.

That first video montage of him losing puck battles is really brutal. It's one thing to be the weaker player, but half the time he's just not fighting hard enough to stay on the puck. He had this problem even in the OHL. And then following that up with the montage of him just falling all over the place highlights my concerns about his agility and balance (issues which are driven by his posture).

If he's given open ice to do preset move combinations that result in a shot he'll have success. But in the stop and go uptempo physical game played in the NHL I fear he's really far away still.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is a great article and highlights a lot of what I have been seeing.

That first video montage of him losing puck battles is really brutal. It's one thing to be the weaker player, but half the time he's just not fighting hard enough to stay on the puck. He had this problem even in the OHL. And then following that up with the montage of him just falling all over the place highlights my concerns about his agility and balance (issues which are driven by his posture).

If he's given open ice to do preset move combinations that result in a shot he'll have success. But in the stop and go uptempo physical game played in the NHL I fear he's really far away still.

It also talks about his smart reads with regards to where he's supposed to be away from the puck, which I think you've said you didn't see when watching him.

"If you’re the Kraken and considering giving him more ice time, he’s got that positional play going for him. You can trust him. He’s good at getting in on forechecks, reading when it’s time to pull out and get into a good spot, then coming back to help on regroups"

"And further to that, he’s a reliable F3, meaning he has a sense for staying above the opposition’s breakout, which includes folding behind his D-men when they pinch in the offensive zone. He doesn’t just dive in when he gets on the ice, rather he considers his role in the system, and shows he’s smart by staying on the D-side."

"I didn’t think it was worth clipping, but there are numerous times in the D-zone you can see him pointing and communicating with his team in the D-zone. And when he’s there, and the opposing D-man gets the puck, he’s not shy at getting in the shooting lane, as he successfully blocked the shots that were his to block."

So essentially he's not physically ready, but he's shown he's not mentally overmatched with regards to positioning or what he should be doing away from the puck.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure Seattle can't send him back to the AHL for another conditioning stint. Teams can only do that once per season as I understand it. I read that somewhere, but can't find the link. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

EDIT: This is a screencap from the CBA about the conditioning stint. Nothing in this rule limits it to once per season as I read it.

View attachment 613912

As for having not much to learn there, I disagree. There is some unfinished business* there for him and given that he missed his 16yo season in the OHL, I think it's better for him to get lots of playing time this year in junior then the occasional fourth-line scraps he was getting with the Kraken. Maybe things will be different after the world juniors, but my hunch tells me Kingston will trade Wright and Seattle will send him back to the OHL.

The unfinished business would include ironing out some of things that made him NOT be the No. 1 pick such as driving to the hard areas more and not relying on his shot from the outside -- and leading his team on a long playoff run.

The can only be used once is more to do with the CHL/NHL agreement not in the NHL CBA.

So how do you know Seattle will actually send him back to the OHL in janurary? Seattle never implied anything that they will actually send him back nor that kingston implied that they are actually trading going to trade him.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
The can only be used once is more to do with the CHL/NHL agreement not in the NHL CBA.

So how do you know Seattle will actually send him back to the OHL in janurary? Seattle never implied anything that they will actually send him back nor that kingston implied that they are actually trading going to trade him.
I didn't say I knew that. I said it was "my hunch."

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Wright recalled from AHL as 14-day conditioning loan ends. Kraken GM Ron Francis says the plan is to get him in the lineup in Seattle, then make a decision on world juniors. Seattle hosts Montreal on Tuesday, Dec. 6.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Love to get this guy on my favourite team., but Francis is too smart. He will be patient.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Honestly, he was for sure going to score tonight. He was playing with great line mates and he is being used a lot. Seattle was going to get him his first goal today no matter what against Montreal.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Watched him today and he looked like an NHL player. Scored his first goal, 3 shots on net, a blocked shot.. Little bit weak on his feet at times I thought but fit in fine. They will need to find a way to get him on the second power play to really see how he fits in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad