C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Let's keep it civil throwing out the Jake Wise isn't necessary is it?

And man was I ever wrong about Jake Wise BTW.

Don't get me wrong, Wright is obviously a lot better than Wise, but I think folks ignore that a big part of Wright's early success was his early physical maturity.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
If he was sent down for weight issues he would have been in the AHL until he was 22. If you want to argue anything, he was sent down because the Leafs wanted to keep him and Nylander away from that tire fire of a team, hence Nylander was only brought up after the trade deadline.
He gained 10 pounds, because of it. It was never due to his play.

Keeping a rookie you aren't planning on playing and isn't good enough to get in the lineup because he needs to learn how to adult is certainly an interesting take. Like he couldn't, you know learn those things at 19 or 20 when he is actually an NHL caliber player like any other rookie in NHL history. You can twist yourself in a pretzel trying to come up with justifications for the way they are handling it but end of the day from a hockey perspective it makes zero sense and that is what matters.
The problem is he is good enough. The GM wants him in the lineup, but the head coach doesn't.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Honestly, I would say play making ability. I think he has shown the ability to make some good passes out there and he has a good shot.

His biggest issues right now are size, pace of play, and confidence. He just doesn’t have the speed or poise to avoid getting log-jammed at this point and he isn’t playing confident.

He had some games in preseason where he looked confident and showed some of his potential as a good puck distributor. But, he’s been pretty tentative in the few minutes he gets a night.
The kid is 200lbs, size isn't an issue. Terrible coaching decision.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The same way Adam Fantilli and Cole Eiserman have been as well
Fantilli playing in the NCAA is a bit different then dominating younger, not physically mature, players in the OHL. I'd say Byfield could be somewhat comparable in that aspect too.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
With amount of ice time Wright has so far received this season it is pretty much impossible for him to do anything. He isn't even close to being in game shape. The NHL is by far the best hockey league in the world. You don't just jump in and be the guy after sitting in the stands for a month and a half. The game and pace is far too fast. Play the f***ing guy somewhere or trade him before he misses another full year of development.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Don't get me wrong, Wright is obviously a lot better than Wise, but I think folks ignore that a big part of Wright's early success was his early physical maturity.

I think that you are partly right but I think the system in Kingston didn't help Wright and his development last year and this year has been less than expected, maybe he is the guy that Covid affected the most but we will never really know.

What I do know is that players rarely develop by not playing actual games and the way the Kraken are handling him right now isn't a good projection on getting a good player at the end.

Reactions: Bubbles

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Fantilli playing in the NCAA is a bit different then dominating younger, not physically mature, players in the OHL. I'd say Byfield could be somewhat comparable in that aspect too.
Except even at the NHL or Pro level, Fantilli and Byfield have plus nhl size, the same can’t be said for Wright

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
He has played a total of 55 minutes of meaningful hockey since his OHL season ended. Just send him down; this is stupid.

If people think that covid break affected him so bad; this definitely can't be good for his development.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I think the plan for Wright has always been this... Stay with Seattle until mid-December where he gets a taste of NHL life, and plays 9 games. Then sent to the World Juniors which is very important for Wright to play well in an important role. Then Wright gets sent to the OHL for the rest of the season. If his junior season ends first, sent to AHL for the playoffs.

All in all, a pretty good plan that's good for development. In an ideal world, he'd be in the AHL, but can't due to the rules.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I think the plan for Wright has always been this... Stay with Seattle until mid-December where he gets a taste of NHL life, and plays 9 games. Then sent to the World Juniors which is very important for Wright to play well in an important role. Then Wright gets sent to the OHL for the rest of the season. If his junior season ends first, sent to AHL for the playoffs.

All in all, a pretty good plan that's good for development. In an ideal world, he'd be in the AHL, but can't due to the rules.
But he should play some hockey before WJC…

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia

I won't be surprised if he doesn't make the Canadian team.

Reactions: Samhockey3

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Except even at the NHL or Pro level, Fantilli and Byfield have plus nhl size, the same can’t be said for Wright
I'd say relative to the league they play in. Wright strength and size was a bigger gap with his competition then Fantilli in the NCAA. Guys in the NCAA might not all be 6'2" , 215lbs but they are mature physically on stronger on their skate in general.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
With amount of ice time Wright has so far received this season it is pretty much impossible for him to do anything. He isn't even close to being in game shape. The NHL is by far the best hockey league in the world. You don't just jump in and be the guy after sitting in the stands for a month and a half. The game and pace is far too fast. Play the f***ing guy somewhere or trade him before he misses another full year of development.

Seth Jarvis climbed his way up the Canes lineup starting with that TOI. A lineup much better than the Kraken too.
Shane Wright was never good enough to make the NHL as an 18 yo

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Seth Jarvis climbed his way up the Canes lineup starting with that TOI. A lineup much better than the Kraken too.
Shane Wright was never good enough to make the NHL as an 18 yo
Well it also matters what that line is supposed to do....Krebs/Quinn aren't going to put up points on the Sabres 4th line because that's the checking line they aren't there to put up goals. Different teams have different setups.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He's look terrible and the numbers I posted more than back that up. If you watched him play we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I did watch him. He's a non-event and clearly not ready.

How much would that be different if he was actually played though ? Who knows.
He should be sent down to the AHL. He needs time to digest the pace.

I think his ceiling is Philip Danault or poor man version

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad