C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
This thread would be like two pages if it weren't for the same Wright haters (notice how many are MTL avatars) weren't doing their best imitation of a broken record. Some people just really, really need to be right I guess.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This thread would be like two pages if it weren't for the same Wright haters (notice how many are MTL avatars) weren't doing their best imitation of a broken record. Some people just really, really need to be right I guess.

Not really. The thread is long because Wright was hyped for so long and so many posters have been blindly and vigorously defending him since early in his draft season despite all the issues. I've been on this site a long time and I don't remember another prospect ever having more excuses made for their performance. A lot of people are taking some early victory laps no doubt, but a lot are here because they feel validated for seeing and stating the obvious about Wright over the last year plus in the face of blind homerism.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
You mean the emperor may not be wearing any clothes?
I mean like I don't think the expectations for him should even be very high. If he wasn't overly impressive in junior and doesn't even look like an NHL player right now, why should he be expected to achieve much at the moment, or even in general? I don't see anything in his game that's going to make him an even moderately dynamic NHLer. And right now his game still looks like it's at an amateur level from what I've seen.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I mean like I don't think the expectations for him should even be very high. If he wasn't overly impressive in junior and doesn't even look like an NHL player right now, why should he be expected to achieve much at the moment, or even in general? I don't see anything in his game that's going to make him an even moderately dynamic NHLer. And right now his game still looks like it's at an amateur level from what I've seen.
What you speak is heresy to many.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
What if he just isn't that good? Like what skill does he have that's even above average at the NHL level right now?
Honestly, I would say play making ability. I think he has shown the ability to make some good passes out there and he has a good shot.

His biggest issues right now are size, pace of play, and confidence. He just doesn’t have the speed or poise to avoid getting log-jammed at this point and he isn’t playing confident.

He had some games in preseason where he looked confident and showed some of his potential as a good puck distributor. But, he’s been pretty tentative in the few minutes he gets a night.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
What if he just isn't that good? Like what skill does he have that's even above average at the NHL level right now?
Well he's 18 there is a lot of room for improvement unfortunately not giving him any time for actual hockey isn't going to help him......

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Kraken likely to keep Wright, may loan F to AHL, WJC - TSN.ca

"Now, here's an interesting sidebar to this story because there is a clause inside the agreement between the NHL and the CHL that allows junior-eligible players like Shane Wright to be loaned to the American Hockey League. Now, to qualify, Wright would have to be a healthy scratch in the NHL for five straight games. He can only be loaned once to the AHL and can only stay for a maximum of 14 days."

That's a weird quirk that I've never heard about. What does it even accomplish? Have Shane shuttle back and forth between the AHL and NHL...so he can sit 5 games and do it again?

Just leave him in the NHL, or send him back to junior. Francis is making this unnecessarily complicated.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

"Now, here's an interesting sidebar to this story because there is a clause inside the agreement between the NHL and the CHL that allows junior-eligible players like Shane Wright to be loaned to the American Hockey League. Now, to qualify, Wright would have to be a healthy scratch in the NHL for five straight games. He can only be loaned once to the AHL and can only stay for a maximum of 14 days."

That's a weird quirk that I've never heard about. What does it even accomplish? Have Shane shuttle back and forth between the AHL and NHL...so he can sit 5 games and do it again?

Just leave him in the NHL, or send him back to junior. Francis is making this unnecessarily complicated.

The clause can only be used once.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Damn they really don't trust Kingston

Reactions: Habs10Habs

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Man he really looks nothing like an NHL player. His skating needs significant improvements.

That skating will come in time and is something that the team can work on with him. Another reason why staying in the NHL vs going back would be better for him, higher and better level of training especially skatting. He may be fine or quite good at skatting against teens but skatting against NHLers is a whole another thing.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Honestly, I would say play making ability. I think he has shown the ability to make some good passes out there and he has a good shot.

His biggest issues right now are size, pace of play, and confidence. He just doesn’t have the speed or poise to avoid getting log-jammed at this point and he isn’t playing confident.

He had some games in preseason where he looked confident and showed some of his potential as a good puck distributor. But, he’s been pretty tentative in the few minutes he gets a night.
size? isnt he 6 foot 1 and around 200 lbs?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
But he is. How many 18-year-olds have above-average NHL anything at 18?

But let's compare him to his peers, shall we?
In that regard, Wright has an elite shot and above average defensive awareness and excellent hockey sense. He's also a great playmaker. Bear in mind, he's only 18, so he's not going to be above-average in the NHL at much -- few are at 18.

He needs playing time to develop and he'll be a fine pick for the Kraken.

Edit: Since his shot is his best skill, I'll share a clip from the Hockey Prospects Black Book. It's copyrighted material, but I think given the discussion we're having it's safe to share this little bit here. @Mark Edwards and his team do good work and I put a lot of stock in their reports.
1667837101133.png

No draft pick can be judged right away... No matter who it is.
Exactly. Get back to me in five years. Any sooner and I'll ask you "what's your rush?"

It's called a conditioning assignment. Ducks used it last year for McTavish, but as someone else pointed out, it's a one-time thing. He can't be on the shuttle back and forth to Coachella Valley.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If Wright gets sent down at the end of the month he’ll still have 44 OHL games remaining plus playoffs. I think the way that they are handling his development is certainly irregular, but I don’t think it’s detrimental. If he’s getting good strength training and practice in he’s still developing. They shouldn’t keep this going for long though

Reactions: majormajor

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Probably means they are waiting for him to be traded in OHL.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad