C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He may be the least ready prospect I have ever seen play more than 5 games before being sent down.

Among the 404 forwards with >50 mins at 5v5, he ranks:
- 403rd in shots/60 (only Parker Kelly has less). He's only taken 1 shot in 7 games....
- 395th in ixG/60
- 399th in hit differential/60 (mostly skill guys like Hall, Hischier, and Arvidsson behind him).

And among the 128 forwards who have taken >25 faceoffs/60 at 5v5, only Joe Veleno has a worse faceoff percentage

So he's not generating any offense, he's getting completely manhandled physically (despite very rarely having the puck), and he's been trash in the faceoff dot.

This is not an NHL player.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I predict going to keep him up until that 14 days leads him directly into WJC camp, and then post WJC camp they get him traded from Kingston to a better team and loan him for the rest of the season, especially if the Kraken really really don't want him to go to Kingston
Yeah that has to be the plan. Nothing else makes sense.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Man he really looks nothing like an NHL player. His skating needs significant improvements.
He was scouted as an excellent skater, with good acceleration and edge work, so I doubt anything has changed in that regard.

It all goes back to his pace of play, which he was questioned on, and his lackluster response led to him dropping in thr draft. You don't see him wanting pushing the opposition or challenging them much at all.

I get his positioning is part of his game, but to me, his whole personality is not that of a future superstar. You want players that want to be a difference maker.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He was scouted as an excellent skater, with good acceleration and edge work, so I doubt anything has changed in that regard.

It all goes back to his pace of play, which he was questioned on, and his lackluster response led to him dropping in thr draft. You don't see him wanting pushing the opposition or challenging them much at all.

I get his positioning is part of his game, but to me, his whole personality is not that of a future superstar. You want players that want to be a difference maker.
He was never an excellent skater in my book. I never understood the scouting reports that praised his skating. Yeah, he's fast enough in a straight line, but his agility, quickness, edges, and especially balance were always major weaknesses IMO.

He looks extremely slow and weak in the NHL

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I predict going to keep him up until that 14 days leads him directly into WJC camp, and then post WJC camp they get him traded from Kingston to a better team and loan him for the rest of the season, especially if the Kraken really really don't want him to go to Kingston

That team might suck and coached poorly, but what ever they are doing
Francesco Arcuri has risen to a complete new level in his career, development,
so he is doing more than fine in KIngston

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wright is not NHL caliber yet but he's far from the worst prospect to ever see NHL games. I've seen a few good plays, not many, but a decent amount for his minimal time out there.

His energy is much better this year and i think his skating is fine, but he still has that predisposition to hang back instead of jumping into the fray. And when he does jump into the fray he lacks the strength and tactics to do anything. Forget about his size, he doesn't have NHL strength.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is Francis thinking he was a genius in getting Wright at #4 and not having the humility to put him into an environment where he can grow instead of languishing in the NHL.

Reactions: SpoolCat

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Apparently if he sits out 5 straight games as a healthy scratch, he is allowed to go the AHL for a 2 week conditioning stint.

If he sits again today (3rd straight), I think it's clear that is what they are aiming for. And then he'll go to the Canada WJC camp in early December.
It would be nice if he ends up at the WJHC that he is allowed to play a game or two this year beforehand.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
One thing to consider is that Wright is making an NHL paycheck right now, which is a lot better than a CHL paycheck. Could be part of the reason he is still up. Doing him and his agent a solid

On a side note, I used the Kraken in an NHL 23 franchise and Wright took his damn time developing. He eventually became a beast but he wasn't a point/game player until his D+5 season

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He may be the least ready prospect I have ever seen play more than 5 games before being sent down.

- 403rd in shots/60 (only Parker Kelly has less). He's only taken 1 shot in 7 games....
- 395th in ixG/60
- 399th in hit differential/60 (mostly skill guys like Hall, Hischier, and Arvidsson behind him).

And among the 128 forwards who have taken >25 faceoffs/60 at 5v5, only Joe Veleno has a worse faceoff percentage

So he's not generating any offense, he's getting completely manhandled physically (despite very rarely having the puck), and he's been trash in the faceoff dot.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi played a full season so thats a no.

Reactions: abo9

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Between his year off during Covid while others found ice time and now this season, it's kind of wild how few games he's played while staying healthy.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Jesperi Kotkaniemi played a full season so thats a no.
Kotkaniemi was way better than Wright what are you talking about.

One thing to consider is that Wright is making an NHL paycheck right now, which is a lot better than a CHL paycheck. Could be part of the reason he is still up. Doing him and his agent a solid

On a side note, I used the Kraken in an NHL 23 franchise and Wright took his damn time developing. He eventually became a beast but he wasn't a point/game player until his D+5 season
I'd be shocked if that wasn't a big consideration for Wright being on board with this approach.

Reactions: Canadienna

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

- 395th in ixG/60

I'd also say it's clear this poster doesn't like Wright based on Wright and not the potential of him in Montreal(from pre draft talk where this poster was accused of hate on the habs)

On a different note I'll just say again, SENS WRIGHT BACK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad