C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Hakstol as a coach but he's not a bad coach just because he doesn't want to play a guy who's not even close to being ready for this level.

I wonder if there's a solution like that...is there a lower level in which he can play? hmm, tough question.

I know I quoted you but this isn't directed at you. He's being mismanaged...the GM and the coach aren't seeing eye to eye but one of them has to budge.

As a habs fan, I don't give a flying f*** about Wright but this is a pivotal point in his career and he needs to play whether it's in Seattle or not. Send him down and get him on the ice and try to force Erie Kingston to trade him after.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
One scenario would be for Seattle to do what Edmonton did with Draisaitl - hold onto him at the beginning of the season, strongly suggest his CHL team should trade him to a contender, and then send him back one he has been traded.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is a kid who missed an entire year worth of development due to COVID. Imo the worst thing you can do is have him sit in the press box or get limited minutes given how little development time he's had the last number of years.

There is nothing wrong with going back to the CHL to get playing time in. It's not like he's dominated that league yet.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I wonder if there's a solution like that...is there a lower level in which he can play? hmm, tough question.

I know I quoted you but this isn't directed at you. He's being mismanaged...the GM and the coach aren't seeing eye to eye but one of them has to budge.

As a habs fan, I don't give a flying f*** about Wright but this is a pivotal point in his career and he needs to play whether it's in Seattle or not. Send him down and get him on the ice and try to force Erie to trade him after.
??? Still Kingston property, no?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Oh right, my b
All good. Despite a hot start I don't think Kingston will be good, plus it sounds like they're a team strongly considering bidding on the 2024 Memorial cup where there's zero chance Wright would be back for. Makes a lot of sense to flip him for 17/18 year olds that could be key contributors if Kingston does in fact end up hosting

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
This. When you combine a GM that wants the player to stay with a Head Coach that knows he isn't ready, you get this mess.

The "too good for junior hockey" stuff is laughable. I have been following the CHL for 30 years and there have been players that far exceeded Wright's performance last year that were returned for their 19-year-old season.
I think that going back to junior is best place for him, even if AHL or pro overseas was an option. Sure he could benefit from getting used to playing against men, but he already plays a fairly straight line, responsible, pro game. After all the years of playing up, he could use a year of having the puck on his stick all game, finding new and creative ways to produce.

A case could be made that one of the reasons the '03 draft turned out to be so good is that all of the '85's were forced to go back to junior for their 19 year old seasons because of the lockout.

Reactions: wetcoast

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
At the intermission of the Leafs game, Sportsnet had a segment about Wright that felt a little weird. I don't even remember who the "analyst" was, it was the B team on a regional Leafs broadcast. But the guy was saying that Seattle is going to "lose the player" if they don't send him down promptly.

Now I've maintained he should be sent down, but the panicked tone of this segment felt over the top to me. I wonder what other motivations could've been at play, like maybe the OHL wanting a star attraction.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
At the intermission of the Leafs game, Sportsnet had a segment about Wright that felt a little weird. I don't even remember who the "analyst" was, it was the B team on a regional Leafs broadcast. But the guy was saying that Seattle is going to "lose the player" if they don't send him down promptly.

Now I've maintained he should be sent down, but the panicked tone of this segment felt over the top to me. I wonder what other motivations could've been at play, like maybe the OHL wanting a star attraction.

Speculation is warranted I guess but it's pretty clear that what Seattle is doing in handling him right now is 100% wrong and pretty useless in development terms.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm confused what they do with him. They don't let me develop in the OHL, they don't let me play in the NHL. It just looks stupid.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

It was Sam consentino and another guy called burkla I think (not Brian Burke). Burkla said they interviewed Shane at the combine at they were left unimpressed as Shane was unable to identify certain part of his game that either were wrong or needed improvement. He apparently interviewed pretty poorly

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Not every 18/19 year old player is the same...
They all need to eat, sleep and grow further with age. Not being exactly the same doesnt equal having nothing in common.

Notice u couldn't elaborate. Youre throwing weak, poorly considered responses out there and calling it a day. While revealing you don't even understand the most basic things. Like that most 18 year olds have some growing and developing to do b4 their bodies, strength, speed, etc are caught up to multi year nhl pros

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Thank God we have the authority of reddit user wompie to tell us a bunch of generic info that every1 knows. Every1 including all the nhl teams that send their prospects back down only to have those prospects develop physically and hockey wise bc they're playing hockey and needed time to age, get stronger, etc.

Bench pressing and squatting aren't magically better in an nhl facility. Nutritionists are great. Is there any evidence showing nhl nutritionists contribute more to a hockey players development than...yknow....playing hockey and following a general healthy diet?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Thank God we have the authority of reddit user wompie to tell us a bunch of generic info that every1 knows. Every1 including all the nhl teams that send their prospects back down only to have those prospects develop physically and hockey wise bc they're playing hockey and needed time to age, get stronger, etc.

Bench pressing and squatting aren't magically better in an nhl facility. Nutritionists are great. Is there any evidence showing nhl nutritionists contribute more to a hockey players development than...yknow....playing hockey and following a general healthy diet?
Not to mention that teams can still give a player like Wright a nutritionist while hes playing in junior lol. Just because hes playing in junior doesnt mean communication is 100% cut off, its not. Teams will often have staff individually meet with high profile prospects in junior to discuss tape and several other things. When Boqvist was playing in London the hawks often had Brian Campbell checking in with him and discussing ways to improve his game.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
So uhhh. Is there any kind of plans for this kid?
It’s practice based development instead of game based. It keeps him available to be used in the NHL if an opportunity opens up. Do we have examples where this was tried before in the NHL? If not, how do we know this can’t work out?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
It’s practice based development instead of game based. It keeps him available to be used in the NHL if an opportunity opens up. Do we have examples where this was tried before in the NHL? If not, how do we know this can’t work out?
The only other example I can think of off the top of my head is Pietrangelo. If I remember correctly he travelled with St.Louis but didn't play many games. Year previous he got his max games then got sent down.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
This. When you combine a GM that wants the player to stay with a Head Coach that knows he isn't ready, you get this mess.

The "too good for junior hockey" stuff is laughable. I have been following the CHL for 30 years and there have been players that far exceeded Wright's performance last year that were returned for their 19-year-old season.
Even in Kingston, Bennett came back and he was way more dominant than Wright…and even picked higher to boot.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's only if landing a 16 year old is the only key piece. They could opt for a highly touted 17 year old instead since Kingston's potentially vying to host the Memorial Cup next season, having someone who is 17 now (18 next year) would make them stronger as potential hosts than a 16 year old going on 17 would.

Honestly, if Kingston's serious about the bid for next year, that's exactly what they should be doing. Using the Wright trade to basically build as good a roster for the 2023-2024 season.
Good points, especially if they get to host.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
its way too early to come to any conclusions right now. I don't think any of the top 5 players have done anything to make them selfs stand out as the bonafide best player of the draft yet.
Top player in the 2003 Draft is still being debated. It will take years for 2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad