C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wow, what a coming down to reality for Shane after thinking he DESERVED to go 1st overall. If I didn't know any better I'd say that Seattle is trying to teach him a lesson...😶‍🌫️
Let’s also keep things in perspective. Beniers had a late birthday and was drafted after his freshman year at Michigan when most kids like Luke Hughes who just made his s draft cutoff by a week, would be drafted out of the USHL or the USNDT. And Beniers returned for his sophomore year at Michigan.

If wright went to college he’d be entering his freshman year this year.

Seattle has to do what is best for him long term.

Reactions: carouselofgoalies

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Let’s also keep things in perspective. Beniers had a late birthday and was drafted after his freshman year at Michigan when most kids like Luke Hughes who just made his s draft cutoff by a week, would be drafted out of the USHL or the USNDT. And Beniers returned for his sophomore year at Michigan.

If wright went to college he’d be entering his freshman year this year.

Seattle has to do what is best for him long term.

College hockey in the US for CHL isn't a option either if he went to college unless its a canada college.

Wright dropped because he didn’t take the expected step and the fear that his work ethic, attitude and that he flat out didn’t physically grow at all since his breakout OHL season gave cause for worry that he just developed early and didn’t have the mentality to go further.

Rewrite it all you want. Make all the excuses you want. This is what happened.

Try to figure out why everyone must have had him #1 when we know they didn’t both due to only four of the ten scouts polled having him 1 and because THREE TEAMS PASSED ON HIM IN REALITY all you want. You’re going to be wrong.

ANd whats this? more excuses. Can we stop with the whole excuses of why he dropped...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wright dropped because he didn’t take the expected step and the fear that his work ethic, attitude and that he flat out didn’t physically grow at all since his breakout OHL season gave cause for worry that he just developed early and didn’t have the mentality to go further.

Rewrite it all you want. Make all the excuses you want. This is what happened.

Try to figure out why everyone must have had him #1 when we know they didn’t both due to only four of the ten scouts polled having him 1 and because THREE TEAMS PASSED ON HIM IN REALITY all you want. You’re going to be wrong.

ANd whats this? more excuses. Can we stop with the whole excuses of why he dropped...

And i counter what those say with these two articles that i posted

No one is frustrated as what 32 thought podcasts thinks. Those guys have zero connections to what's going on with Seattle and Wright. They are purely speculating.

There's a plan. Wright, his agent and his family are on board with Seattle's approach on Wright. He's 18 and shouldn't be forced into games. Maybe at some point if the situation changes that he could end up going back to the OHL if the team decides to do so. And they may decide not to. Its more to do with player development than just ice time.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Key points on wright
1) Wright and his agent are on board with Seattle's plan
2) if in a perfect world Francis would rather keep him in the NHL than send him back
3) World jrs is an option but Francis won't comment on it for the time being.

Franics still not going to comment for sure if he remains or he goes back. Just leaving it as an option if the team decides to send him back to the OHL.

“So for a young player you’re not getting to practice, and then when you’re in the lineup you’re not getting the 10 to 12 minutes a night. So it’s hard.”

“Everybody seems OK and on board,” Francis said.

“At some point we’ve got to get him into some hockey games and get him some minutes, see how things go.”

You're not that naïve to think Wright is good with that? He's an 18 year old, he's not going to make a public decree that he's unhappy.

Pretty clear divide between Francis's and Hakstol's "plan" for Wright. Which is to say no plan at all.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
“So for a young player you’re not getting to practice, and then when you’re in the lineup you’re not getting the 10 to 12 minutes a night. So it’s hard.”

“At some point we’ve got to get him into some hockey games and get him some minutes, see how things go.”

You're not that naïve to think Wright is good with that? He's an 18 year old, he's not going to make a public decree that he's unhappy.

Pretty clear divide between Francis's and Hakstol's "plan" for Wright. Which is to say no plan at all.

They aren't obligated to publicly say every darn thing to the public on what they are doing.

Francis has his job as GM Hakstol has his job as HC which is to put what is consider the best chance to WIN games. If hes putting out game day rosters just to give wright significant minutes and Seattle is losing cause of that then Hakstol isn't doing his job.

The matter is his family is fine with it, he is fine with it his agent is fine with it. Sure Wright isn't going to say he's not happy publicly but his agent could say it and express that to the team.

We see agents say their client is unhappy all the time.

Him staying in the NHL has more benefits to him then going back to the OHL and some of it has nothing to do with hockey. He is on his own for the first time and learning how to do stuff as an adult away from the public eye of canada media. He isn't going to learn to do stuff on his own like that if he's going to go back to the OHL and live with his parents. There is way more to player development than just ice time.

Also the biggest #1 more important thing in my opinion to a fresh drafted hockey player that is playing in the NHL away from home for the first time that is more important than hockey itself is learning how to do stuff as an independent adult. That's more important that the sport itself imo. Should wright be denied his chances to be able to develop as an person just to be sent back to the OHL for the sake of more ice time.

If i was 18 year old hockey player just got drafted to a team you know what the first thing i would worry about how am i going to take care of myself away from home not whether or not i get play in games and how much ice time per game i get.

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Wright already got a lot of flack after the draft for the way he reacted after not being picked 1st overall. It would be dumb from him and his agent to publicly say that he is unhappy so early in his career as an unproven rookie with no clout.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wright already got a lot of flack after the draft for the way he reacted after not being picked 1st overall. It would be dumb from him and his agent to publicly say that he is unhappy so early in his career as an unproven rookie with no clout.

And that flack is undeserved on wright. The player has a right to be disappointed and voice his disappointment. Maybe the media needs to butout of player's lives and not be so darn obsessive on them.

There is nothing wrong if the agent to make a comment.. Its how it said. I think its fair for an agent to say that his client has some fustrations from some of the lack of ice time and working with the team to help him ease those frustrations. "

It becomes a problem if the agent is demanding things which doesn't help his client.

We know the team and wright's agent has spoken to each other regarding Wright and Wright's agent expressed his thoughts. We aren't owed to what was discussed between wright's agent and the team.

We do know what his parents thoughts are and as far as what the article said they are fine with the approach. Teams talk with young players' parents all the time to keep them up to date with such.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Keeping a rookie you aren't planning on playing and isn't good enough to get in the lineup because he needs to learn how to adult is certainly an interesting take. Like he couldn't, you know learn those things at 19 or 20 when he is actually an NHL caliber player like any other rookie in NHL history. You can twist yourself in a pretzel trying to come up with justifications for the way they are handling it but end of the day from a hockey perspective it makes zero sense and that is what matters.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I disagree. Anyone should be unhappy with repeatedly being a healthy scratch at 18 years of age. He should have been sent to juniors a long time ago.

I assume they want to keep scratching him so that he doesn't hit his 9 game mark so soon but this is terrible for his development.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I wouldn't lose my cool over a handful of games too much, there's plenty for him to digest in the NHL at the moment even without playing that much. Of course he can't miss the entire season and that's not going to happen either.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
When are teams going to realize that MOST 18 years olds in this day and age are NOT READY for the NHL. It's extremely rare that they are, no matter if you are a 1st overall pick, 10th overall, or 30th overall. The game is faster and the players are stronger than ever. 10-30 years ago the game was slower and the players weren't as strong, which allowed skilled 18 year olds to come into the league and play well, not anymore.
Not to mention that the guys in previous drafts continue to train, probably harder and better once they are drafted and established in the league. Which is why a guy drafted in the 2nd round in 2020 could be having an impact more than a guy drafted 4th in 2022. That guy in 2020 is further ahead in his development curve. Wright is very early in his career. Who knows what he will become.

My concern is that he is rocked by his benching and it kills confidence.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He's been scratched for 3 games, it's not a big deal. Even if he gets scratched for half the games and plays just 41 NHL games vs 82 in the OHL I think he's better off. The real problem here is his ice time, hopefully it'll increase as he starts to play more games.

The f***ed up part is his family being there for 3 games and him being scratched for all 3...tf lol, what coach does that.

Reactions: Wats

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
My concern is that he is rocked by his benching and it kills confidence.

Wasn't the whole issue with Wright that he had a huge excess of confidence, thinking he could miss a whole year of hockey then coast through his draft year season and still go 1st overall?

Going 4th and then being healthy scratched for the majority of his first month in the league should be quite humbling for him. The risk is that he sulks and gives up rather than work harder to prove himself.

That said, Seattle should either play or send him back to Kingston at this point.

Reactions: waitin425

TheGr8Cornholio

Oct 20, 2022
Anyone know if Wright thinks he “deserves” an NHL pay check? Cuz that would explain the situation right now..

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Wasn't the whole issue with Wright that he had a huge excess of confidence, thinking he could miss a whole year of hockey then coast through his draft year season and still go 1st overall?

Going 4th and then being healthy scratched for the majority of his first month in the league should be quite humbling for him. The risk is that he sulks and gives up rather than work harder to prove himself.

That said, Seattle should either play or send him back to Kingston at this point.
Absolutely. Confidence is a fickle thing. Imagine being a kid who was always far ahead of your peers. To the point where you play up a year on a stacked Don Mills team, where again you are the man (boy). You go to the OHL, where players start to narrow the skill gap with you. Your development curve slows, while kids you know you were better than, begin to give you second thoughts. You are then not picked 1st (as expected), 2nd, or 3rd overall in your NHL draft. What the hell is going on (death stare)?

You go to your NHL camp, and there is a rookie there close in age (Beniers). You played with kids his age your whole career and still were the man. That guy in camp is ahead of you (by a lot). He is given every opportunity to excel and quickly looks like the best player on that NHL team. You, on the other hand are relegated to the press box. The doubts that have already been sown in your head, are now becoming a fear. A fear that you may have peaked.

I like Wright, I really do. The question is now.....does he have the mental fortitude to push through the challenges of not being the guy, or will he completely crumble under the pressure and end up like a say Jonathan Drouin.

I'm thinking Drouin might be the best you get out of Wright at this point.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They are both awful at their jobs and never should have been fired, so that checks out.

He's been scratched for 3 games, it's not a big deal. Even if he gets scratched for half the games and plays just 41 NHL games vs 82 in the OHL I think he's better off. The real problem here is his ice time, hopefully it'll increase as he starts to play more games.

The f***ed up part is his family being there for 3 games and him being scratched for all 3...tf lol, what coach does that.

Hakstol did the exact same thing to Travis Sanheim his rookie year. He was playing well and his family was in town for the first time. Hak scratched him for Brandon Manning. Hak is a world-class asshole.

Reactions: Bubbles

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

And i counter what those say with these two articles that i posted

No one is frustrated as what 32 thought podcasts thinks. Those guys have zero connections to what's going on with Seattle and Wright. They are purely speculating.

There's a plan. Wright, his agent and his family are on board with Seattle's approach on Wright. He's 18 and shouldn't be forced into games. Maybe at some point if the situation changes that he could end up going back to the OHL if the team decides to do so. And they may decide not to. Its more to do with player development than just ice time.
Oh really?!?! Shane and Seattle are on the same page….?

Then why did Shane’s grandparents fly down for 3 home games and Shane didn’t play in any of them??

If they were on same page, Shane would have had an idea that he wouldn’t be playing and wouldn’t have told his family to come to 3 home games

Reactions: Vilbers

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Judging by Seattle's lineup in their 2nd season, it seems like their #1 priority is trying to win games now (new fans can be fickle). Developing talent is down the list. I would play him, he's got that style that doesn't hurt you too much. I recall Ron Francis playing immediately at 18. Seems more uncommon these days.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They are both awful at their jobs and never should have been fired, so that checks out.

Hakstol did the exact same thing to Travis Sanheim his rookie year. He was playing well and his family was in town for the first time. Hak scratched him for Brandon Manning. Hak is a world-class asshole.

This is why sport fan bases would be terrible at running sports franchises. This is a business to entertain people. People arent going to go to games if all they do is lose games just for the sake of player development... They want to see the team win not lose.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Anyone know if Wright thinks he “deserves” an NHL pay check? Cuz that would explain the situation right now..
He’s getting an NHL pay check right now, whether he plays or not.
If he thinks he deserves it, then that is probably wrong.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This is why sport fan bases would be terrible at running sports franchises. This is a business to entertain people. People arent going to go to games if all they do is lose games just for the sake of player development... They want to see the team win not lose.
You dont develop players by benching them and not winning games. You clearly dont understand any of this and thank God you dont run a hockey team. Good grief.

Reactions: Samhockey3

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018

Modern day Mike Babcock?
Babcock without the winning?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad