C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why is there no talk about this guy? 30 goals 41 assists for 71 pts. Nearly 2 PPG and leading the CHL in points as a 17 year old. People are saying he was a product of Domi but just put up 5 pts last night without him. I think he goes top 5.

Product of McCarron. :sarcasm:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He's maintained at 2.8PPG pace for 24 games now, which is about 1/3rd the entire season in only his second OHL season while being only about 160lbs. Have to think he is pushing into that #3 spot. He will be the same size as guys like Stamkos and Tavares in 5 years, I don't see why he can't be in that category the NHL. He is a star in the making.

I think it's worth mentioning that McDavid has only played 18 games at a a 2.8 PPG pace, and everyone was going bat-**** crazy about "McJesus". Anyone who doesn't think Marner will be a star is fooling themselves.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
As a Habs fan I'd wish he drops so we could at least hope to pick him up...
BigMac and Marner light it up together.

Really starting to like Marner's game.

On an other order of question, are the London Knights favorites to win the Memorial Cup?

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

On an other order of question, are the London Knights favorites to win the Memorial Cup?

How far do you think he's going to drop? :laugh: he's a top 5 pick probably..

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

After the McCarron trade, i'd say they are looking for a mini rebuild. Skip the bottom out and optimize on graduating players.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
A picture tells a 1000 words. He is at least 2 inches taller in that picture. I would say more like 3 inches.

I watched a London game about a month ago, he was alot closer in size to Domi than Dvorak.

And he certainly doesn't look 3 inches taller in that picture.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

They'll do well in the playoffs this year, but unlikely they move on the the Memorial Cup. They are gearing towards the next year or two.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I watched a London game about a month ago, he was alot closer in size to Domi than Dvorak.

And he certainly doesn't look 3 inches taller in that picture.

If I had to put money on it, I'd wager Domi is 5'10, Marner 5'11 and Dvorak 6'00. Feel free to head out to Arizona's next rookie camp, and ask them in person. I'm sure all three will be there with Yotes jerseys on. :)

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
If I had to put money on it, I'd wager Domi is 5'10, Marner 5'11 and Dvorak 6'00. Feel free to head out to Arizona's next rookie camp, and ask them in person. I'm sure all three will be there with Yotes jerseys on. :)

Probably a little out of my way .:laugh:

Judging player from on ice pictures aren't overly accurate either unless they are all wearing the same bladeholders.

If anything I'd say Dvorak is a bit taller than 6'0. Domi's just under 5'10 he hasn't grown much at all since he started playing junior maybe a half inch over the course of his OHL career I think his height has topped out. And Marner is maybe 5'10.5 and growing.

We'll find out sooner or later when the combine rolls around anyways. Anyways my point still stands he doesn't have that hockey size that McDavid or Eichel currently have.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Probably a little out of my way .:laugh:

Judging player from on ice pictures aren't overly accurate either unless they are all wearing the same bladeholders.

If anything I'd say Dvorak is a bit taller than 6'0. Domi's just under 5'10 he hasn't grown much at all since he started playing junior maybe a half inch over the course of his OHL career I think his height has topped out. And Marner is maybe 5'10.5 and growing.

We'll find out sooner or later when the combine rolls around anyways. Anyways my point still stands he doesn't have that hockey size that McDavid or Eichel currently have.

So you went from no where near 6 to 5 10.5? I'd say that's close to 6, but i can tell you he iust officially hit 6 just before xmas.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think it's worth mentioning that McDavid has only played 18 games at a a 2.8 PPG pace, and everyone was going bat-**** crazy about "McJesus". Anyone who doesn't think Marner will be a star is fooling themselves.

It's still early, but I suspect the hype will be in full force after the top prospects game. There is obviously separation between him and a guy like Eichel, but it might not be as gigantic as some think 5-10 years down the road.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
So you went from no where near 6 to 5 10.5? I'd say that's close to 6, but i can tell you he iust officially hit 6 just before xmas.

I'll believe it when I see it at the combine. He just doesn't look 6 foot on the ice IMO.

Someone who's 5'10.5 165 in the NHL is very undersized. And why I don't believe he is given proper draft ranking.

Draft counterparts McDavid and Eichel 6'0.5 190 and Eichel 6'2 195 have good hockey size.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
I'll believe it when I see it at the combine. He just doesn't look 6 foot on the ice IMO.

Someone who's 5'10.5 165 in the NHL is very undersized. And why I don't believe he is given proper draft ranking.

Draft counterparts McDavid and Eichel 6'0.5 190 and Eichel 6'2 195 have good hockey size.

Well you don't want to believe a picture. You talked about height now you are talking about weight. Frankly what does it matter. The stats speak for themselves. He will add weight like most 17 year olds they are not done developing. Its the upside you should be excited about in a prospect, but hey you are no different than than most here. Skill brains skating and passing are not given enough credit.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

You will not find a single scout who has concern over Marner's size, and if you do they shouldn't be working in the game. It doesn't matter if he is 5'10.5" or 5'11.5" he is an elite talent.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
When I said he would be as good or better than Dal Colle/Bennett last March, I also said 6-15 range.

This was with the expectation that atleast a few of Hanifin/Barzal/Konecny/Svechnikov would solidify themselves ahead of him. They haven't and he has gone off on the CHL in it's entirety. The leading CHL scorer as of Jan 1, 2015. He is in discussion for top 3.

Just like William Nylander was a DraftBuzz favorite in 2014 at #3, Mitch is that guy in 2015. It is a shame this kid couldn't test out the WJC like some other 2015's.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Well you don't want to believe a picture. You talked about height now you are talking about weight. Frankly what does it matter. The stats speak for themselves. He will add weight like most 17 year olds they are not done developing. Its the upside you should be excited about in a prospect, but hey you are no different than than most here. Skill brains skating and passing are not given enough credit.

Your picture proves nothing only that he's a tad taller than Domi, doesn't prove he's anything close to 6'0 proof will be proved at the Combine.

You were the one who cherry picked my point on calling him 5'10 in my first post in this thread. Here's my post.

Yeah, if he was 6'0 190 instead of 5'10 160 he'd be the easy favorite for #3 IMO.

I was talking about size in general not just height.

The stats are great the thing is he doesn't have NHL size yet and for that reason he isn't mentioned in the same thought as the top 2 guys in the draft.

You will not find a single scout who has concern over Marner's size, and if you do they shouldn't be working in the game. It doesn't matter if he is 5'10.5" or 5'11.5" he is an elite talent.

That same elite talent that finds himself behind Strome in many draft lists who I think is nowhere near as talented as Marner.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

Draft lists are irrelevant. I mean, I don't really want to pick on anyone in particular but I saw Demko in the top 10 only one spot behind Ekblad last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

It does matter actually. Size is a significant part of a contact game that takes place in an enclosed environment at high speed where your body has to withstand 82 game seasons and playoffs every year. It's not everything in the game, not even close, but if the skill of size does not factor into your calculus as a scout you shouldn't be working in the game.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It does matter actually. Size is a significant part of a contact game that takes place in an enclosed environment at high speed where your body has to withstand 82 game seasons and playoffs every year. It's not everything in the game, not even close, but if the skill of size does not factor into your calculus as a scout you shouldn't be working in the game.

Size matters but the difference between a 5'11" player and a 6'0" player is almost negligible. To use an example from my own team, Pavelski is 5'11" and Couture is 6'0" and there has never been a single occasion where I thought, "man, I wish Pavelski were Couture's height. He'd be so much better then". 6'0" for some reason seems to be the magic height where suddenly size concerns go away. As for withstanding the rigors of an 82 season game and playoffs, height has nothing to do with it. It's about weight and play style. Concerns about Marner's weight might be legitimate, but his play style is hardly physical either way. He doesn't hit and he doesn't get hit. When he grows into his body and puts on weight, people will be kicking themselves if they counted him out because he was 5'11" instead of 6'0".

Size matters, but it is the single most overrated measure of a prospect at 17 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad