C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Mcdavis*

checkmate
Out of Stromes 12 goals six involved McDavid. 50%
So again your logic is flawed, but I hate discussing this with a 12 year old. So go get a popsicle. The difference between you and I is I am not on Eeries, McDavid's or Strome's thread debating that they aren't great prospects. The difference between you and me is I know Dylan is a fantastic talent even without McDavid. Does playing with McDavid help? Sure no different than any other team. The top players play wiith each other and compliment each other. You are a troll period. :shakehead

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
A long winded post, but still not saying much. Strome was inserted because the poster was comparing McD to Marner, when Marners stats this year aren't even on par with another 2015 on Erie's roster.
If Knight fans can't handle others opinions without getting ********, then maybe they shouldn't post ridiculous comparisons. :sarcasm: Nearly 1/4 of Marners goals come from Domi feeds. That is a pretty substantial amount IN MY OPINION.

1 Post of:
- Multiple metrics
- Anecdotes of respected hockey people
- Facts

Vs.

5 posts of:
- (in your words) "from watching the highlights"

And I'm accused of "not saying much"? What does that say about the information you presented? Sounds a bit hypocritical.

And I covered the poster's Marner/McDavid thing for you. The poster was not saying Marner is as good as McDavid (heck, it was not his overall point!). You interpreted it that way to forge a strawman.

23% is a substantial amount? These are your exact words:

"Lots of Domi feeds. Similar to McDavid and DeBrincat."

I posted the numbers to prove that sentence was ignorant:
DeBrincat's goals assisted by McDavid: 79%
Marner's goals assisted by Domi: 23%

It was an irresponsible assertion, and since you've admitted you only go off highlights, the prudent thing would have been to fact-check before you knock a player on the basis of factual errors.

As I'll state again before we go into another circle of diversions, no one takes issue with your "opinion". It's the strawmans, red herrings, and factual errors used to knock a player, regardless of suspected intent. You've admitted you only watch highlights, so when I read "he will struggle in the NHL", "lots of Domi feeds, similar to McDavid and DeBrincat", "where was the great Marner when London had their soul crushed", and "you're just a ******** Knights fan", I'll refute that with evidence, which I've done. Don't play victim.

It's also very convenient that the meat of numbers/anecdotes I posted (namely, the last paragraph) were completely ignored, but I'm accused of "not saying much". Give me a break.

Here are my final two paragraphs, which went ignored:

Your commentary of Marner's play at the Memorial Cup just exhibits more ignorance. I recall reputable scouts like Edwards and Yessie praising Marner's play in the Memorial Cup in a sea of underperforming Knights. I also recall Brendan Ross repeatedly questioning London's coaching as to why Marner wasn't utilized more (Marner was in on more chances than any Knight in the Val-D'or game, noted by the announcer [Cosentino if my recollection was correct] during the game).

Per ExtraSkater's sabremetrics, Marner led every non-Guelph OHL player last year in GF%rel. He also led London in PPGvsGUE (1.73), and was top-3 in ESPPG (0.75) and +/- ratio (2.23). Quite remarkable considering he played nearly the whole 2nd half on a line with Yakimowicz and MacDonald.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Before this season I felt Mitch Marner would be a 4 yr player in the OHl
mainly because of size and strength not ability with some concerns about
playing a 200 ft game
So far after a slow start all my concerns are no longer,I am now of the view
that he will make the NHL at age 19,if his trending continues upward along with
gaining strength and size
He seems to have that innate ability to get hit,has good speed,high hockey IQ and sense
and is learning to shoot more
I can see him going in the top 7-10 in this yrs draft,his stock is rising considerably

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
A long winded post, but still not saying much. Strome was inserted because the poster was comparing McD to Marner, when Marners stats this year aren't even on par with another 2015 on Erie's roster.
If Knight fans can't handle others opinions without getting ********, then maybe they shouldn't post ridiculous comparisons. :sarcasm: Nearly 1/4 of Marners goals come from Domi feeds. That is a pretty substantial amount IN MY OPINION.

Actually her post pretty much nailed it. Pretty funny to watch you continue to type post after post yet provide nothing of any actual value. (And yes I realize this post contributes nothing either, but someone had to point out how much your butt was handed to you).

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The poster who compared Marner to McDavid was only giving perspective as to how he was doing over his 9-game streak. Then, of course, an Erie fan comes in and starts talking about Strome (who the hell knows why?) and accuses him of comparing Marner to McDavid.

You're only making yourself look bad, Colin. :shakehead

P.S. Isn't this the same guy who cried foul when Marner won the OHL Player of the Week after scoring back to back hatricks? :laugh:

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Based on numbers alone Marner should have won player of week again this week.
3g and 7 assists were best in the league again. Domi and Devorak both with 9.
Bertuzzi and McDavid with 8

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
tZOS8.gif

wow. Marner's having a great season, and many well respect posters are wasting their time responding to some of the most asinine posts i've seen in my life.

strome's a fantastic player. the fact i'm the OP of strome's thread proves my respect for him. but why on earth is their any strome vs marner debate (1) in this thread; and (2) given the fact that the two players are as different from each other as can be.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Damn he has been on fire lately.

Should be a top 10 player and I'd love the Flyers to grab him if they have a chance.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Marner was #7 on DraftBuzz preliminary list made in June2014. Now, he has ceiling of taking #3 especially with a great international showing or playoff run.

It's close, but he's my #2 in OHL after McDavid.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Was at the game last night....couple of my random thoughts....

Marner and Domi looked unreal.

Marner has an engine on him that just won't quit....in that regard his effort level last night was comparable to a Brendan Gallagher. Not to say that they are similar players in terms of crashing the net, but I saw that same type of intensity.

Domi, was unbelievable. He is a man amongst boys out there, and comparing to previous years, his skill is still there, but he has added so much poise.

Also kept my eye on Sean Day because it was first time I've seen him play. I was left feeling quite impressed. I remember watching Ekblad last year and thinking how mature he looks on the ice. I feel the same about Day, although its clear it is not yet his draft year, next year he will be unbelievable. He also flashed some offensive talent in one offensive rush, that showed he can do it at both ends.

Seguin played like a punk for the Knights. Should have just fought Clark in the first period. He didn't look like an agitator out there, more like someone not willing to fight, despite a couple of questionable hits that needed to be answered.

Like I said, my two cents.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Marner is playing a 200ft game as well. Physical play, blocking shots and putting the puck in the net.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Marner was tied with Barzal for most points at the Ivan Hlinka for Canadians aswell, I love this kid's game and I wondered why he wasn't ranked in the top 15 in the summer because he is so fast, he can make plays at a very fast speed, he always has his head up looking to make a bigger play and he can finish.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Marner will soon be ranked in the top 3. He's the 2nd best draft eligible player in the OHL behind McDavid. People are realizing he doesn't need to ride coat tails to succeed.

Is that a shot at Strome? Strome has put up 2pts/gm since McDavid went down. I've only seen Strome play a few times. Marner only a few more than that. I prefer Marner, but I don't think it's necessary to attack Strome in support.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Marner was tied with Barzal for most points at the Ivan Hlinka for Canadians aswell, I love this kid's game and I wondered why he wasn't ranked in the top 15 in the summer because he is so fast, he can make plays at a very fast speed, he always has his head up looking to make a bigger play and he can finish.

marner actually finished first. The Ivan website was wrong. Hockey Canada has the right standing for points. Barzal 1 pt behind.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
2G in the first 7 minutes against the Spits. 1 PPG, 1 SHG.

Make that 6 goals, 1 assist in his last 67 minutes.

EDIT: Another assist on Domi's goal. Make that 6G, 2A in 70 minutes.

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Just got an assist on Domi's goal too.

First time watching Marner this season.

Reaaaaaaaaaaally impressed.

If this game is any indication of his usual game, he's easily my 4th overall pick.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Just got an assist on Domi's goal too.

First time watching Marner this season.

Reaaaaaaaaaaally impressed.

If this game is any indication of his usual game, he's easily my 4th overall pick.

What you're seeing is the Marner that we've had for the past 15+ games. Absolutely phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad