C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Back-to-back hat-tricks is pretty special. Who does Marner compare to in the NHL? I hope Gagner isn't the best comparison out there. Can anyone tell me more about his strengths and weaknesses as a player? Is he similar to Giroux?

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Back-to-back hat-tricks is pretty special. Who does Marner compare to in the NHL? I hope Gagner isn't the best comparison out there. Can anyone tell me more about his strengths and weaknesses as a player? Is he similar to Giroux?

I'd say Patrick Kane. Very crafty with the puck very elusive hard to hit. His shot isn't a good and the same age. Marner has a bit more of edge to his game though. But with the puck on his stick is see a lot of similarities.

Scarbarian*

Do people really think this kid is gonna be a center in the NHL? I don't buy it.

He certainly can, he is got outstanding visions which is what most C are gifted with and that's their forte. He is currently playing RW for the Knights but that's because of the circumstances.

He is not your typical strict offense first player, he is very shifty and does commit to playing a two way game just as much as someone like Konecny. However what does hold him back is his size and weight. With more added muscle potentially growing an inch or two will do a hell lot of good to his game.

His game is very versatile and I fully expect him to be the better player between him and Domi when its all said and done.

member 96824

Easily my favorite prospect to follow this draft. I see him as a mini-Savard...although not as gritty/chippy as Savvy was.

Exciting player for whomever gets him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Do people really think this kid is gonna be a center in the NHL? I don't buy it.

London is a little screwey. Everyone seems to play center and wing. Domi has done both, Dvorak both, McCarron, and Marner the same from what I've seen this season. In the games I watched Marner play last year, he seemed to be well suited to the center position. He seemed to like to drive the play with puck possession and his puck distrobution skills have always seemed his chief asset. Good vision, instincts, and passing ability.

He likes to carry the puck, and he's a great playmaker. To me, that sounds a lot like a center.

What have you seen in his game when you've watched him that makes you so skeptical?

member 96824

I don't know. He seems pretty gritty/chippy to me. Not as much as Marc Savard, sure, but it's there.

Great comparison, by the way!

Definitely is a chippy player...but I dont' know if I see him hovering around 70-100 PIMs like Savvy did back in the day. Probably closer to 50 like Giroux, who I think most would say is a grittier style player.

Thank you though! I love players like that and think Marner's got that potential. A real treat to watch and I hope it translates over.

Scarbarian*

Easily my favorite prospect to follow this draft. I see him as a mini-Savard...although not as gritty/chippy as Savvy was.

Exciting player for whomever gets him.

Let's hope he ends up in our laps. I have a strong gut feeling this is who our scouting will salivate over and eventually pick him up. :)

Because of the enormous amount of talent in this draft and as well Marner's lack of size, he will end up in the range of 15-20, IMO. even though he should go anywhere in the 9th - 15th.

member 96824

Let's hope he ends up in our laps. I have a strong gut feeling this is who our scouting will salivate over and eventually pick him up. :)

Because of the enormous amount of talent in this draft and as well Marner's lack of size, he will end up in the range of 15-20, IMO. even though he should go anywhere in the 9th - 15th.

Not sure about that. Most mocks/ratings I've seen have him top 10. 6-9 range.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Not sure about that. Most mocks/ratings I've seen have him top 10. 6-9 range.

Yeah, it seems that only McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, and Zacha are consistently rated ahead of him. Kylington, Crouse, Barzal, and Konecny generally appear right in the mix with him after that first group. I'd say that 10 seems to be the general consensus so far (so, so early).

Canuck71*

Kid is on a tear lately. After a slow start to the season he's on a 7 game pointstreak where he has put up 21 points (10G - 11A). I think he has surpassed Konecny who hasn't been noticeable much at all this year.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
Kid is on a tear lately. After a slow start to the season he's on a 7 game pointstreak where he has put up 21 points (10G - 11A). I think he has surpassed Konecny who hasn't been noticeable much at all this year.

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Barzal
Strome
Kylington
Zacha
Werenski
Marner
Crouse

That'd be my top 10 as of now.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Some of us had Marner above Konecny to start the season :nod:

He's one of the few guys that I didn't worry about when he started slow. He's so skilled, intelligent, and works so hard that the bounces were bound to go his way.

William Nylander*

With the exception of Crouse (whom I'd replace with J. Roy), I like that a lot.

Agreed. I also see Werenski sneaking into the top 5 if he keeps up what he's currently doing. Underhyped imo

On topic: Yeah Marner definitely has the upper hand over Konecny atm

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
With the exception of Crouse (whom I'd replace with J. Roy), I like that a lot.

I did that top 10 off the top of my head lol thinking about it, Roy could be #10 for sure... I watch a lot of Phoenixs game to see Audette play and I really love Roy!

Agreed. I also see Werenski sneaking into the top 5 if he keeps up what he's currently doing. Underhyped imo

Werenski only played 7 games though... If he can keep producing at even 0.6+ ppg, that'd be amazing and he could easily sneak into the top 5 behind kylington or barzal.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Marner with 2+1 today and still 1 more period to go. He's getting alot of his points on the PP which is my only concern.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Marner with 2+1 today and still 1 more period to go. He's getting alot of his points on the PP which is my only concern.

He put up 3.1 EVpts/60mins last season. That was 2nd only to McDavid among 1st time 2015 eligibles. He's more than capable of getting it done 5v5 it would seem. He's just now suddenly in a position to get 1st unit pp time. A luxury he didn't have all of last season.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

He creates plenty of offence at even strength as well. This game has been played entirely on the PP or the PK. Not really a concern IMO.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He put up 3.1 EVpts/60mins last season. That was 2nd only to McDavid among 1st time 2015 eligibles. He's more than capable of getting it done 5v5 it would seem. He's just now suddenly in a position to get 1st unit pp time. A luxury he didn't have all of last season.

He creates plenty of offence at even strength as well. This game has been played entirely on the PP or the PK. Not really a concern IMO.
Yeah, he's still a talented player with speed and great vision. I'm a big fan of Marner, he has all the tools to be a superstar, he's just not the tallest, most grittiest or strongest.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He's always seemed plenty gritty to me. Too gritty given his slight frame. Kind of makes you worry. As for height, kid has shot up like a magic bean stock over the last 12mos. He's easily 5'11 right now. If you see him standing next to his teammates, you can see he's a touch taller than Domi(5'10) and a touch shorter than Dvorak(6'0). He was a lot shorter than that a year ago. He does need to gain a lot of bulk and strength, though. He's a rail.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
He's always seemed plenty gritty to me. Too gritty given his slight frame. Kind of makes you worry. As for height, kid has shot up like a magic bean stock over the last 12mos. He's easily 5'11 right now. If you see him standing next to his teammates, you can see he's a touch taller than Domi(5'10) and a touch shorter than Dvorak(6'0). He was a lot shorter than that a year ago. He does need to gain a lot of bulk and strength, though. He's a rail.

For a rail he has quietly put up 27 pts in 9 games. Tied with Mcdavid during that 9 game period. What you should be thinking is when he matures at about 6'2 190 what will he be capable of.:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad