C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Mcdavis*

Please tell me you aren't putting him in the same leauge as McDavid.....Heck, Strome is years ahead of Marner.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
For a rail he has quietly put up 27 pts in 9 games. Tied with Mcdavid during that 9 game period. What you should be thinking is when he matures at about 6'2 190 what will he be capable of.:nod:

You are highly optimistic if you think he'll grow that much... not that it's impossible but it's highly unlikely.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
He's got grit in his game. Threw a couple of pretty solid hits Friday night against guys bigger then him. When he has to he will.

Everybody grows at different times... Josh Anderson wasn't drafted at 15 he was 5'6 150 or so. Knights bring him into camp at 17 6'3 185. In the AHL now at 6'3 210-215.

Marner has grown since last year but look at Pat Kanes frame... very similar to Marners. Kane seems to be doing alright for himself.

Last edited:

Colin Mcdavis*

Seems like London always has gritty players. Marner and Domi are lighting it up
He's got grit in his game. Threw a couple of pretty solid hits Friday night against guys bigger then him. When he has to he will.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Why cause he just turned 17? He just started growing at 15.

He'll be 18 in 6 months. As a team drafting you'd be foolish to anticipate that he'll turn into a huge player and grow much taller, you're getting a gift skill guy who may not be very big.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
He'll be 18 in 6 months. As a team drafting you'd be foolish to anticipate that he'll turn into a huge player and grow much taller, you're getting a gift skill guy who may not be very big.

Drafting and playing are 2 different things. Most of these players will be 19 or 20 before they make it. Even at almost 6 currently weight is easy to add. Height ois not. Not sure why you think he is small. Do you even watch?

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Drafting and playing are 2 different things. Most of these players will be 19 or 20 before they make it. Even at almost 6 currently weight is easy to add. Height ois not. Not sure why you think he is small. Do you even watch?

Exactly height isn't. Thinking that'll he'll end up as 6'2 is wishing thinking at this point. I never said he was small, but he's clearly not a big kid and isn't big enough for NHL yet, he's gonno have to hit the weight room.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Exactly height isn't. Thinking that'll he'll end up as 6'2 is wishing thinking at this point. I never said he was small, but he's clearly not a big kid and isn't big enough for NHL yet, he's gonno have to hit the weight room.

No one thinks he's going to be 6'2". Right now he's 5'11" and a very good skater so I think he'll be fine.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Someone did
Probably someone who knows where he is in his development a lot better than someone who watches stats only. When a kid isn't shaving at 17 he's no where near done growing. Maybe watch an interview or find some pics. You don't have to have a PhD. If a kid has a beard at 17 he's probably done.

Colin Mcdavis*

I disagree. Marner has the luxury of playing along better teammates. From watching the kids highlights, he gets set up quite nicely. Lots of Domi feeds. Similar to McD and DeBrincat. Plus, Strome is close to physically prepared for the AHL/NHL.
no, Strome & Marner are pretty close. Those two are right behind McDavid for #2 draft eligible OHL forward imo.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Probably someone who knows where he is in his development a lot better than someone who watches stats only. When a kid isn't shaving at 17 he's no where near done growing. Maybe watch an interview or find some pics. You don't have to have a PhD. If a kid has a beard at 17 he's probably done.

I know plenty of people who were 5'7"-5'11" at 17 and weren't shaving. Only a couple of them hit 6'0" but most stayed pretty much the same height. It's much more likely that he stays around this height rather than grow to 6'2".

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
I disagree. Marner has the luxury of playing along better teammates. From watching the kids highlights, he gets set up quite nicely. Lots of Domi feeds. Similar to McD and DeBrincat. Plus, Strome is close to physically prepared for the AHL/NHL.

How bout when they played on same team vs same competition at U18 or development camp in Calgary. Marner led scoring at both. Now Eerie troll run back to you Otter threads and pump away. Do you see anyone on Stromes or McDavids thread arguing about there success. Stromer is a great talent but for you to dismiss Marners success shows you are clueless or a homer.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014

London has the youngest D core in the league. Hardly think London roster is deeper than Eeries.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014

I really like when people make them selves look stupid by posting comments when they have no clue. So to help you out please go back to Page 3 and look at Marners back to back hat tricks. Domi was not involved in a single goal of the 6. Also not one was on the power play of those six. Marner only plays with Domi on the PP.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Anyone else find that Marner reminds them a lot of Claude Giroux? Same sort of frame, same sort of game.

Not that i'd necessarily expect Marner to blossom to quite the same degree at the next level, as a 90pt Superstar Center at the next level (but then, that wasn't exactly the projection on Giroux either at the time)...but stylistically, that's what keeps popping up in my mind.

Colin Mcdavis*

I really like when people make them selves look stupid by posting comments when they have no clue. So to help you out please go back to Page 3 and look at Marners back to back hat tricks. Domi was not involved in a single goal of the 6. Also not one was on the power play of those six. Marner only plays with Domi on the PP.

It is called an opinion....... Poor butt hurt Knights fan.....not surprised. Where was Marner when London got their soul handed to them at the Memorial Cup?

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Please tell me you aren't putting him in the same leauge as McDavid.....Heck, Strome is years ahead of Marner.

Strawman. Clearly, Knightnight's purpose, rightfully or wrongfully, asserted that Marner could be dangerous if he grows some more (his brother his 6'2", which doesn't guarantee anything but is food for thought). He posted Marner's recent stats to show the substance behind his ceiling, not to say he was as good as McDavid.

Including Strome is a red herring, and was only inserted to fit an agenda.

That is why he will be lucky to be a threat in the NHL

Because he's 5'11.5"? How does this remotely make sense?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this logic in light of the notion that McDavid warranted POTW on the basis of including a game from Saturday of the previous week, and handing it to Marner was a London conspiracy.

If you admit all you have to go by are "highlights", it might be prudent to attain more information before commenting on the topic. Otherwise, you risk factual errors. This assertion epitomizes ignorance.

Marner only plays with Domi on the PP. Even strength, Marner has played on the same line as Domi for 2 games this year. Two.

Marner's goals = 13
Marner's goals assisted by Domi = 3 (23%)

DeBrincat's goals = 19
DeBrincat's goals assisted by McDavid = 15 (79%)

Great comparison. :laugh:

It is called an opinion....... Poor butt hurt Knights fan.....not surprised. Where was Marner when London got their soul handed to them at the Memorial Cup?

Another diversion. No one took issue with the "opinion" -- it's the red herrings, strawmans, and factual errors, as well as the transparent intent, behind it.

Kind of like how "Where was Marner when London got their soul handed to them at the Memorial Cup?" has zero intent of contributing to the debate -- it's all a trolling voyage masked under the veil of "discussing Marner". I don't mind trolling, but at least be creative and witty with it. You're out of your league in this topic.

Your commentary of Marner's play at the Memorial Cup just exhibits more ignorance. I recall reputable scouts like Edwards and Yessie praising Marner's play in the Memorial Cup in a sea of underperforming Knights. I also recall Brendan Ross repeatedly questioning London's coaching as to why Marner wasn't utilized more (Marner was in on more chances than any Knight in the Val-D'or game, noted by the announcer [Cosentino if my recollection was correct] during the game).

Per ExtraSkater's sabremetrics, Marner led every non-Guelph OHL player last year in GF%rel. He also led London in PPGvsGUE (1.73), and was top-3 in ESPPG (0.75) and +/- ratio (2.23). Quite remarkable considering he played nearly the whole 2nd half on a line with Yakimowicz and MacDonald.

Colin Mcdavis*

A long winded post, but still not saying much. Strome was inserted because the poster was comparing McD to Marner, when Marners stats this year aren't even on par with another 2015 on Erie's roster.
If Knight fans can't handle others opinions without getting ********, then maybe they shouldn't post ridiculous comparisons. :sarcasm: Nearly 1/4 of Marners goals come from Domi feeds. That is a pretty substantial amount IN MY OPINION.
Strawman. Clearly, Knightnight's purpose, rightfully or wrongfully, asserted that Marner could be dangerous if he grows some more (his brother his 6'2", which doesn't guarantee anything but is food for thought). He posted Marner's recent stats to show the substance behind his ceiling, not to say he was as good as McDavid.

Including Strome is a red herring, and was only inserted to fit an agenda.

Because he's 5'11.5"? How does this remotely make sense?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this logic in light of the notion that McDavid warranted POTW on the basis of including a game from Saturday of the previous week, and handing it to Marner was a London conspiracy.

If you admit all you have to go by are "highlights", it might be prudent to attain more information before commenting on the topic. Otherwise, you risk factual errors. This assertion epitomizes ignorance.

Marner only plays with Domi on the PP. Even strength, Marner has played on the same line as Domi for 2 games this year. Two.

Marner's goals = 13
Marner's goals assisted by Domi = 3 (23%)

DeBrincat's goals = 19
DeBrincat's goals assisted by McDavid = 15 (79%)

Great comparison. :laugh:

Another diversion. No one took issue with the "opinion" -- it's the red herrings, strawmans, and factual errors, as well as the transparent intent, behind it.

Kind of like how "Where was Marner when London got their soul handed to them at the Memorial Cup?" has zero intent of contributing to the debate -- it's all a trolling voyage masked under the veil of "discussing Marner". I don't mind trolling, but at least be creative and witty with it. You're out of your league in this topic.

Your commentary of Marner's play at the Memorial Cup just exhibits more ignorance. I recall reputable scouts like Edwards and Yessie praising Marner's play in the Memorial Cup in a sea of underperforming Knights. I also recall Brendan Ross repeatedly questioning London's coaching as to why Marner wasn't utilized more (Marner was in on more chances than any Knight in the Val-D'or game, noted by the announcer [Cosentino if my recollection was correct] during the game).

Per ExtraSkater's sabremetrics, Marner led every non-Guelph OHL player last year in GF%rel. He also led London in PPGvsGUE (1.73), and was top-3 in ESPPG (0.75) and +/- ratio (2.23). Quite remarkable considering he played nearly the whole 2nd half on a line with Yakimowicz and MacDonald.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Out of Stromes 12 goals six involved McDavid. 50%
So again your logic is flawed, but I hate discussing this with a 12 year old. So go get a popsicle. The difference between you and I is I am not on Eeries, McDavid's or Strome's thread debating that they aren't great prospects. The difference between you and me is I know Dylan is a fantastic talent even without McDavid. Does playing with McDavid help? Sure no different than any other team. The top players play wiith each other and compliment each other. You are a troll period. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad