C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
He is if you skip the beginning portion of the season like you would skip over McDavids WJC time off.

Since Marners slow start he has had 81 pts in 31 games if you skip over the slow start. Which equates to 2.61 PPG. This is greater than McDavids 2.59 PPG so far this season with a greater sample. (57 pts in 22 games)

81 pts in 31 games > 57 pts in 22 games. Marner is also 4 months younger than McDavid and on a worse team. I still take McDavid/Eichel over him, but Marner is a complete stud.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posted for a justification.

If we get to cherry pick Marner's slow start out of the season, then let's cherry pick Mcdavid's less than stellar stats coming back to the OHL and get his ppg to what it was before 2.8 or whatever before he left for the World Juniors.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

If we get to cherry pick Marner's slow start out of the season, then let's cherry pick Mcdavid's less than stellar stats coming back to the OHL and get his ppg to what it was before 2.8 or whatever before he left for the World Juniors.

Skipping over the first 8 games is the most ridiculous thing you've seen for a justification? Must be new to HF, its legitimate justification, especially since 81 pts in 31 games > 57 pts in 22 games.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

It's not like they are picking out his bad game and exempting him from them, this is over his last 31 games.

81 in 31 is better than 57 in 22, why should Marner's accomplishments be downplayed simply because he has played more games?

Marner's 31 game sample is still bigger than McDavids season.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Skipping over the first 8 games is the most ridiculous thing you've seen for a justification? Must be new to HF, its legitimate justification.

I disagree, by that logic let's take last year as an example and exclude Claude Giroux's slow start and pretend everything from prior to game 6 didn't count for him. He was alot better than Crosby for a majority of the year from that point on and he was robbed from winning the Hart.

Year starts at game 1, not game 9.

Anyways I think Mcdavid finishing 2nd in WJC adds more ammo to his draft stock then Marner destroying a watered down league with some teams missing up to 3-4 players while the World juniors is going on.

It's not like they are picking out his bad game and exempting him from them, this is over his last 31 games.

81 in 31 is better than 57 in 22, why should Marner's accomplishments be downplayed simply because he has played more games?

Marner's 31 game sample is still bigger than McDavids season.

It's still cherry picking Marner's 41 game ppg is is still less than his 31 game sample ppg. Over the course of 41 games his ppg is 2.09, 2.10 if you want to round up, it's a safe assumption McDavid will be well over that at game 41.

ZeroPT*

I disagree, by that logic let's take last year as an example and exclude Claude Giroux's slow start and pretend everything from prior to game 6 didn't count for him. He was alot better than Crosby for a majority of the year from that point on and he was robbed from winning the Hart.

Year starts at game 1, not game 9.

Anyways I think Mcdavid finishing 2nd in WJC adds more ammo to his draft stock then Marner destroying a watered down league with some teams missing up to 3-4 players while the World juniors is going on.

It's still cherry picking Marner's 41 game ppg is is still less than his 31 game sample ppg. Over the course of 41 games his ppg is 2.09, 2.10 if you want to round up, it's a safe assumption McDavid will be well over that at game 41.
Go ahead. It's 6 games. Or in Marner's case, 8 games. It's largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It's not like he's eliminating 2 or 3 months over a year. It's 8 games

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Go ahead. It's 6 games. Or in Marner's case, 8 games. It's largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It's not like he's eliminating 2 or 3 months over a year. It's 8 games

Those 8 games changes his ppg from 2.61 to 2.09.

That's quite a difference.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
The skill sets are just not even close to the same level. Both McDavid and Eichel are world class skaters, along with hands and an ability to make plays at top speed. These are things that make there games so easy to project at the next level. Marner is putting up points like a freak, but he doesn't play nearly at the same speed as the other two.

"Not even close" is quite the hyperbole. Your description of McDavid and Eichel also fits Marner. It's really not a stretch to think he could produce at the same rate offensively as the other two. McDavid and Eichel are centres and have the slight overall edge in skill on Marner, but your selling him way short.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Marner was a lot further down in the depth chart last year. To start off this year, he was the #1 guy (Domi at camp, McCarron injured). It took him some time to get used to his increased role (didn't help that the Knights were dreadful at that time), but once he did he took off. His chemistry with Dvorak is also a sight to behold.

It's not like your removing some games in the middle of the season from his production.

I have him at #3.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Those 8 games changes his ppg from 2.61 to 2.09.

That's quite a difference.

8 games in which Marner was getting little ice time without ideal linemates. Are his results playing as a bottom 6er for the first week of the season really more relevant than his most recent 31 games?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
8 games in which Marner was getting little ice time without ideal linemates. Are his results playing as a bottom 6er for the first week of the season really more relevant than his most recent 31 games?

Would I say they are more relevant? probably not, but to dismiss them entirely would also be wrong. If he was playing bottom 6 don't you think he'd have some favorable matchups and be able to dominate on his own? If he were in McDavid's class you wouldn't worry about who he's playing with really. Time on ice is a valid argument though.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Would I say they are more relevant? probably not, but to dismiss them entirely would also be wrong. If he was playing bottom 6 don't you think he'd have some favorable matchups and be able to dominate on his own? If he were in McDavid's class you wouldn't worry about who he's playing with really. Time on ice is a valid argument though.

He wasn't playing bottom 6. He just needed time to adjust to a significantly increased role + the team was extremely young.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
"Not even close" is quite the hyperbole. Your description of McDavid and Eichel also fits Marner. It's really not a stretch to think he could produce at the same rate offensively as the other two. McDavid and Eichel are centres and have the slight overall edge in skill on Marner, but your selling him way short.

No, it's not hyperbole. They are completely different tiers of prospects. Eichel and McDavid are the two most protectable prospects since Crosby. Marner is a good prospect in the same way Elias Lindholm was a good prospect.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
No, it's not hyperbole. They are completely different tiers of prospects. Eichel and McDavid are the two most protectable prospects since Crosby. Marner is a good prospect in the same way Elias Lindholm was a good prospect.

easy to say from your couch in Charleston

I won't be surprised if Marner is in the NHL next season playing very well.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

A large sample is not cherry picking.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

This is not an established fact. It is what's generally believed, but what's generally believed is subject to reinterpretation.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I was thinking more of a Jeff Skinner-like very well. If Marner plays like Lindholm, he'll end up back in London.

Skinner had 90 points in 60 games his draft year. Marner has 84 points in his last 32 games. How are they comparable?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Skinner had 90 points in 60 games his draft year. Marner has 84 points in his last 32 games. How are they comparable?

:help: did you even read his original post? He was talking about how he wont be surprised if Marner has a very successful season as an 18 year old in the NHL just like Skinner.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Could you compare him to McDavid or Eichel if he had more size?

I don't think so, Marner is a special player, Eichel and McDavid are truly exceptional. Guys who are no question franchise centerman. I think it's unfair to Marner to compare him to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad