C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
This kid is good...I mean real good...hard to not pick Hanifin at 3 but if anyone bumps him this is the kid...so entertaining to watch

I don't see Hanifin as a lock at third. If the Knights get far in the OHL playoffs riding Domi & Marner then I can see Marner as third. 3-5's pretty much a crapshoot.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Marner is an absolute beast. Honestly no idea where these concerns about his defense are coming from, he is a puck hound. Such slick puck skills and fantastic vision. #2 from the O and going to give Hanifin a huge battle for third.

Really cheap hit on DeBrincat tonight though, he should be suspended for it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Marner is an absolute beast. Honestly no idea where these concerns about his defense are coming from, he is a puck hound. Such slick puck skills and fantastic vision. #2 from the O and going to give Hanifin a huge battle for third.

From people who haven't watched him play, it takes all of one period to see that he works hard at both ends of the ice.

Do you like him better then Strome?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
From people who haven't watched him play, it takes all of one period to see that he works hard at both ends of the ice.

Do you like him better then Strome?

Yes, and that's tough to say. I still prefer Strome over Zacha/Crouse as far as OHL players go, I believe his offensive upside is higher.

That said I think Marner's speed and creativity gives him a slight edge over Strome.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Ya I thought he was underrated defensively, not lazy and a floater as that one poster described.

I have him solidly over Strome, although admittedly I'm not as big on Strome as most seem to be.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

The league disagrees :)

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
With the Wild dropping in the standings with seemingly no answer to save the season, Marner is becoming more and more of a reality. We're at #8 right now, but it's not out of the realm of possiblity for the Wild to drop low enough to grab Marner. Some of us on HFWild are a little timid about drafting another "smaller" player. I know Marner is no Gerbe, but we've had guys like Granlund who tries to play bigger than he is and ends up on the losing end quite often and even getting concussed/injured a few times as a result.

So, we all know about Marner's offensive skills, but my question is on Marner's size. Is he elusive? Does he try to play physical? Is there a good chance he's not done growing vertically? Do you think his size will translate well to the NHL?

If the Wild pick high enough, this pick could very well be the future of our team, and I think some Wild fans would just like some reassurance that if GMCF calls Marner's name in June that we can feel free to breath a deep sigh of relief. He's obviously a great offensive talent, but we would need him to be the future #1 center and offensive stud without worrying about him potentially being injury-prone due to his size.

Please and thank you!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not every smaller guy gets hurt a lot. Look at Giroux who has only missed six games in the past six years.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
if your not counting the first 8 games were he had 0 points, he now has 82 points in 36 games. It's unreal, how this guy finds the open area.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
if your not counting the first 8 games were he had 0 points, he now has 82 points in 36 games. It's unreal, how this guy finds the open area.

Marner with another 4 point game tonight. You guys ready for this stat? Since Marners slow start he has had 81 pts in 31 games if you skip over the slow start. Which equates to 2.61 PPG. This is greater than McDavids 2.59 PPG so far this season with a greater sample. (57 pts in 22 games) He is going top 3 in this draft.

McDavid is also 4 months older than Marner. Incredible he is able to put up these stats, basically as a underager.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Not every smaller guy gets hurt a lot. Look at Giroux who has only missed six games in the past six years.

Agreed. I should also add it's not yet clear how "small" he'll actually be. He's one of those guys who got his growth spurt a bit later in his teens - since the start of his minor midget year (2012/13) he's grown something like 5 inches and might well still be growing a little. He's now about 5'11 - which is still a bit below average for an NHL player - but isn't exactly *undersized*. For him the thing will be adding more strength. Looking at him, my best guess is he'll top out in the mid 180s, which is fine for his style of play (combined with great skating).

I understand, I was just asking if Marner's playing style might translate well in the NHL.

I think it will translate very well. He's got excellent skating to go along with his offensive skill set. He won't be able to play quite as pugnaciously in the NHL as he can in the OHL - but that's not a big deal given his offensive skill set.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
Marner with another 4 point game tonight. You guys ready for this stat? Since Marners slow start he has had 81 pts in 31 games if you skip over the slow start. Which equates to 2.61 PPG. This is greater than McDavids 2.59 PPG so far this season with a greater sample. (57 pts in 22 games) He is going top 3 in this draft.

McDavid is also 4 months older than Marner. Incredible he is able to put up these stats, basically as a underager.
If he keeps this up it won't be long before the question is whether he goes before Eichel or not.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If he keeps this up it won't be long before the question is whether he goes before Eichel or not.

I don't think that question will ever come up, I am a big Marner guy but it's a pretty substantial difference between the two. Marner is a special player, Eichel is the second best prospect since Crosby IMO.

Bps21*

It won't stop it from being a talking point from a lot of people. The more talk the better.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It won't stop it from being a talking point from a lot of people. The more talk the better.

Posters sure, I don't think it will with scouts or GMs. We have had 3 GMs in the last month say that they will go 1-2 in some order (Murray, McTavish and Yzerman).

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Only a fool would bring that into question. Eichel and McDavid are special players. Marner is definitely in the next group, though. If the Coyotes don't get McEichel, I'm hoping they take Marner next even if Hanifin is still on the board.

With McDavid or Eichel you get a franchise changing player. With Marner you get a star player. (Assuming they meet expectations)

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Only a fool would bring that into question. Eichel and McDavid are special players. Marner is definitely in the next group, though. If the Coyotes don't get McEichel, I'm hoping they take Marner next even if Hanifin is still on the board.

With McDavid or Eichel you get a franchise changing player. With Marner you get a star player. (Assuming they meet expectations)

Why is Marner in another group when he is currently having a better OHL season than McDavid?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Hmmmmmmm, maybe because he isn't?

He is if you skip the beginning portion of the season like you would skip over McDavids WJC time off.

Since Marners slow start he has had 81 pts in 31 games if you skip over the slow start. Which equates to 2.61 PPG. This is greater than McDavids 2.59 PPG so far this season with a greater sample. (57 pts in 22 games)

81 pts in 31 games > 57 pts in 22 games. Marner is also 4 months younger than McDavid and on a worse team. I still take McDavid/Eichel over him, but Marner is a complete stud.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Why is Marner in another group when he is currently having a better OHL season than McDavid?

The skill sets are just not even close to the same level. Both McDavid and Eichel are world class skaters, along with hands and an ability to make plays at top speed. These are things that make there games so easy to project at the next level. Marner is putting up points like a freak, but he doesn't play nearly at the same speed as the other two.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The skill sets are just not even close to the same level. Both McDavid and Eichel are world class skaters, along with hands and an ability to make plays at top speed. These are things that make there games so easy to project at the next level. Marner is putting up points like a freak, but he doesn't play nearly at the same speed as the other two.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad