C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Anyone else think Marner may be a better prospect than Eichel?

Marner's PPG is considerably higher than Eichel's (2.03 vs 1.69) AND Marner plays in the OHL.

We all know from the McDavid vs. Eichel threat that the OHL is the better league. So that means Marner is better than Eichel too right?

It's harder to be ppg in the NCAA you realize that right? Why don't you go look at how many players in college/university put up numbers like Eichel in their draft years... It'll surprise you.

Comparing OHL ppg to College :facepalm:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have a question for people who have been able to watch Marner much more than I have. First off, I can't deny how great he has been offensively and a team drafting him will solely draft him because of this, but I have concerns. The games I have watched,

- I notice that he tends to float a lot.
- He never really back checks.
- He constantly cherry picks when the puck is in the defensive zone.
- His play away from the puck needs a ton of work, really bad.

I'm not trying to sound like a OHL expert here because I've only watch him like 5-6 times this year, but every time I watch him, he's had these problems every game. So are these legitimate issues to his game, or have I been viewing him during his "bad" games?

ZeroPT*

I have a question for people who have been able to watch Marner much more than I have. First off, I can't deny how great he has been offensively and a team drafting him will solely draft him because of this, but I have concerns. The games I have watched,

I'm not trying to sound like a OHL expert here because I've only watch him like 5-6 times this year, but every time I watch him, he's had these problems every game. So are these legitimate issues to his game, or have I been viewing him during his "bad" games?
wut..

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

Sorry- because I don't really have an answer for you- but isn't that all just different ways of saying the same thing?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Even during his "relatively" bad games, I haven't really noticed these issues w/ Marner's overall play.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London

I've heard different opinions on his defensive game but I don't think his effort on backchecking or playing defense has ever or should ever be questioned.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sorry- because I don't really have an answer for you- but isn't that all just different ways of saying the same thing?
In terms of being bad defensively overall, sure!

Even during his "relatively" bad games, I haven't really noticed these issues w/ Marner's overall play.
I have been left sort of unimpressive because I have noticed these things in my limited time watching him. Seeing someone like Lazar play a 200 foot game and then going to watch Marner, there is a big difference that I have seen personally.

I've heard different opinions on his defensive game but I don't think his effort on backchecking or playing defense has ever or should ever be questioned.
I wouldn't say a lack of effort, but looks uninterested when the puck isn't either on his stick or not in the offensive zone.

ZeroPT*

I'm wondering if he does as well on a lesser team.

well when Domi left and McCarron got dealt his line became the focus and he elevated his game quite a bit with a few multi point games.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014

When it's so obvious you have never seen a prospect play or have a personal dislike for a players game try not to make it so obvious. Please post 1 of the 5 or 6 games you saw this. I will then post a link to all of his shifts for that game and let the fora decide who us right. Now be careful mud is hard to get off your face.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
It's not like Christian Dvorak and Matt Rupert are real world beaters.

Dvorak is the real deal. That kid has more PPG than any 18 y/o Knight in Hunter era except Patrick Kane. That includes Tavares, Perry, Bolland, Domi, Kadri, etc. He's also one of the better defensive centres in the league. Dvorak has something like 2.6 PPG since November 1.

But regardless, Marner would put up monster numbers anywhere, and be talked about as a possible #1 in more drafts than not.

ZeroPT*

Dvorak is the real deal. That kid has more PPG than any 18 y/o Knight in Hunter era except Patrick Kane. That includes Tavares, Perry, Bolland, Domi, Kadri, etc. He's also one of the better defensive centres in the league. Dvorak has something like 2.6 PPG since November 1.

But regardless, Marner would put up monster numbers anywhere, and be talked about as a possible #1 in more drafts than not.

Now I'm not suggesting that he's a product of Marner but Mitch has a fairly big hand in most of Dvorak' success. Although I'm very high on Dvorak and kinda amazed he didn't make team USA

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long

He's one of the best back checkers on the Knights. I've seen him skate past a slew of players to break up odd man breaks.

He's one of the best players in pursuit of the puck I've seen. He has a knack for anticipating where the puck carrier will put the puck, and then stripping or intercepting it.

Marner doesn't cherrypick. He can't on this team because the defence is the 2nd youngest in the league, and he's always in position for the breakout.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Now I'm not suggesting that he's a product of Marner but Mitch has a fairly big hand in most of Dvorak' success. Although I'm very high on Dvorak and kinda amazed he didn't make team USA

Absolutely true. Just making the point he isn't someone you can outright dismiss either. He's one of the better forwards in the league (10th-15th range).

arsmaster*

I didn't mean it as disrespect, more just stating it's not like Marner is riding coattails for Max Domi, which is likely what those who don't tune in often would assume.

Dvorak is a good player. I think Marner is better and they work extremely well together.

----

With regards to S E P H's post, I have never come away thinking Marner is a floater, I actually find him to be a puck hound, both on the forecheck and back check.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Looks like NHLN/US decided to bump Erie-London in favor of their dreadful studio show. Any alternates on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad