C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Odds Dvorak and Marner can make the jump to the NHL next year together with Domi?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't think so, Marner is a special player, Eichel and McDavid are truly exceptional. Guys who are no question franchise centerman. I think it's unfair to Marner to compare him to them.

Figured, comparing Marner to McDavid is like comparing Giroux to Crosby.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Has he been a natural RW or LW in the past? I thought I read he was playing center this year though

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think he'll have a better transition than most junior players because he's so good without the puck like getting open for shots and he knows how to move the puck quickly.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I think he'll have a better transition than most junior players because he's so good without the puck like getting open for shots and he knows how to move the puck quickly.

Three questions for you or anyone else with first-hand observation (based on your assessment above, I'm assuming you have watched Marner play actual games):

1 - You mentioned that Marner is good without the puck. How is he when the other team has the puck (defense)? Specifically in positioning and effort. And especially when playing center.

2 - Does he go into dirty areas of the ice? Will he take a hit to make play?

3 - Does he net out as a guy who can play (well at) both center or wing in the NHL?

The Kane reference is tantalizing.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Three questions for you or anyone else with first-hand observation (based on your assessment above, I'm assuming you have watched Marner play actual games):

1 - You mentioned that Marner is good without the puck. How is he when the other team has the puck (defense)? Specifically in positioning and effort. And especially when playing center.

3 - Does he net out as a guy who can play (well at) both center or wing in the NHL?

1 - Great
2 - Yes. Yes.
3 - Yes.

He reminds me of a better version of what people expect from Eberle if that makes any sense at all.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

He's good in positioning and he definitely tries his hardest to get the puck back but sometimes he loses puck battles to bigger players. He's good with his stick though to steal the puck backchecking or reading plays like passes cross ice.

I would say he goes to the dirty areas, he isn't a perimeter player either and he does take a hit to make the play.

I like Marner more at centre because of his vision and great playmaking ability but I can see him playing on the wing in the NHL aswell because he's a great all-around offensive player.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Seems more Giroux than Kane to me. He even plays the same brand of defense. That is, he isn't necessarily five steps ahead in the D zone like Bergeron or Kopitar, but he is effective because he hustles and works hard enough to break up opposing chances.

Kane also generates offense with his skill and ability to make such precise passes and shots. Giroux relies more on his vision, awareness, and creativity. That's not to say both don't have some of the other's characteristics, but just what each player relies on for most of his production.

I think Marner relies on Giroux's assets (vision, awareness, and creativity) more than Kane's and that will be even more pronounced at the NHL level.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretty crazy draft at the top this year. Marner is starting to feel like a kid that has close to 1st overall talent level in a normal year.

ZeroPT*

Seems more Giroux than Kane to me. He even plays the same brand of defense. That is, he isn't necessarily five steps ahead in the D zone like Bergeron or Kopitar, but he is effective because he hustles and works hard enough to break up opposing chances.

Kane also generates offense with his skill and ability to make such precise passes and shots. Giroux relies more on his vision, awareness, and creativity. That's not to say both don't have some of the other's characteristics, but just what each player relies on for most of his production.

I think Marner relies on Giroux's assets (vision, awareness, and creativity) more than Kane's and that will be even more pronounced at the NHL level.

He's a hybrid of the two IMO. His tenacity is Giroux level and his skill is Kane level

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Kane is not a good comparable for Marner. The Giroux one is better for sure. He is more cerebral than Kane and less flashy in my opinion. Kane and Drouin are like freewheeling artists out there with their tantalizing speed and skill, Marner is more of a very smart and cerebral playmaker. It certainly helps Marner as well that he plays with Christian Dvorak who might be the smartest player in all of junior hockey. Excellent prospect.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
He's a hybrid of the two IMO. His tenacity is Giroux level and his skill is Kane level

Everyone appears more skilled at the junior level, though. In the NHL, I can't see Marner being too much like Kane. He just doesn't rely on his raw skill like Kane does.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

I actually dont really see Kane in his game. I see Giroux as well.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think there's a pretty good chance Marner ends up in Edmonton.

If he keeps on progressing... hell yes! I love draft prospect that rise. Weren't Patrick Kane, Ryan Johansen, and Seguin major draft risers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad