C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, because my post history shows an overwhelming bias towards Canadian team prospects. Why the hell would I care about who New Jersey takes? I've probably seen more McLeod than most people on this board. I just thought the premise of the fact because he beat up on a bad Ottawa team he could dominate strong teams absolutely hilarious considering anyone who watches the OHL knows they aren't good.

You do realize I was joking, right? That what the "sarcasm" smiley means....sarcasm. :help:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Yeah that part is expected but McLeod's proportion of points against weak teams is greater than Suzuki's, Strome's and the other top centermen in the OHL. The totals aren't bad by themselves but I think it's a symptom of him being big and fast and exploiting weaker defenses, something I don't think will fly against better teams.

Fair enough. Don't think I agree but I see where you're coming from.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I thought McLeod showed in Game 1 that he can up his game against good teams as well. Should have been a 4 assist night for Michael, he was setting Watson up for some silver gilted scoring chances that most top liners would have finished. You can only do so much as a playmaker, he still had a strong multi point game, and almost had the equalizer on top of that.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
ah, see you didnt get the memo. since mikey's 2ppg against them, the gens are no longer considered a good team /s

I know we're not allowed to criticize McLeod in any way but the Generals were a sub .500 team the last month of the season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I know we're not allowed to criticize McLeod in any way but the Generals were a sub .500 team the last month of the season.

lol the guys bumping this every time he has a good game are silly too but posts like these are what make me laugh. some of you guys will make up any kind of thing you can come up with

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Who cares. McLeod cannot dictate who he plays against, only how he plays. And he is obviously playing well.

and why can't he? seems like he's a very passive player and that lack of effort wont translate well to the nhl level

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Who cares. McLeod cannot dictate who he plays against, only how he plays. And he is obviously playing well.

This right here.

I know I'm a Flyers fan and we're supposed to hate the Devils and blah blah blah but....McLeod is doing very, very well. I don't care who he's playing against, right now he is dominating.

McLeod seems to be the type of prospect that lots of people want to criticize, regardless of what he does. It's a bit weird, to be honest.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
McLeod's leading the entire CHL in playoff scoring.

#1 OHL, Michael McLeod, 6 goals, 17 points in 9 games
#1 WHL, Estephan Giorgio, 7 goals, 16 points in 8 games
#1 QMJHL, Jean-Christophe Beaudin, 6 goals, 15 points in 9 games

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This right here.

I know I'm a Flyers fan and we're supposed to hate the Devils and blah blah blah but....McLeod is doing very, very well. I don't care who he's playing against, right now he is dominating.

McLeod seems to be the type of prospect that lots of people want to criticize, regardless of what he does. It's a bit weird, to be honest.

I don't get why. He seems like a good kid. Easy to root for. Has an entertaining tool set and skates like wind.

He is doing pretty much what any organization would want out a prospect.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It's like you aren't allowed to criticize prospects and the only thing we should be doing is fellating them.

No one hates Mcleod or wants him to fail.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

But the Gens did beat an average OHL team in 6 games when the games actually mattered, ie in the first round of these playoffs. I would call them an above average OHL club, and so far it's 6 points in 3 games against them for McLeod.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Glad to see Mikey putting up some points - I was able to catch game 3 - really happy with how he is carrying and distributing the puck off the rush - you get the feeling that he'll be able to bring that part of his game to the NHL, his confidence is sky high when he hits the blue line with speed. He had a couple of nice drop passes to set up Watson goals, especially on Watson's hat trick goal, where he made a nice move to side step a defender. Those two are fun to watch together.

That all said, I still think his numbers this year are running a bit hot, and while that's great news for his confidence and subsequent development, I don't think his recent production should necessarily be taken at face value - he's shooting at 18.8% in the playoffs and 16.0% for the season overall.

Compare that to last year where he shot at only 12.4% - a figure which would be more representative of what we should expect (at the junior level) from a player with his shot and skillset - I know he's worked a lot to improve that part of his game but that's a pretty big jump. So while he's​ scored 9 more goals and 20 more points than last year (in 2 more overall games) he's​ only taken 13 more shots - effectively going from 3.0 to 3.1 shots per game. It's certainly plausible that he's taken on more of a playmaking role is creating a lot more chances - I haven't seen enough of him this year to say if that's the case.

I'm sure I'll be again accused of not being a Devils fan for posting that opinion, but I think it needed to be pointed out.

All those comments about McLeod not being able to score on top teams are really bearing out right now. He's only 2nd in playoff scoring.

Ummm . . . Ottawa is terrible - they were one of the worst teams in the OHL this year. They were 16th in a 20 team league with a -50 goal differential. Oshawa had an average regular season - 8th overall - but they finished really poorly (like 6-7 in their last 13 games, including 2 losses to a bad Ottawa team by a combined 12-2). I wouldn't​ call them a strong team by any stretch, especially with how Brodeur has looked in the last 2 games.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Mikey has taken advantage of sub par playoff opponents - he's playing exactly as you'd hope, and he's getting the bounces to go with it. But I don't think his playoff performance to date proves anything about his ability to score against stronger teams in the OHL, and I don't think it wise to bump this thread every time he has a good game during this hot streak, as it will invite others to do the same when he cools off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad