C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Mar 15, 2011
NJ
We shall see. We've seen plenty of examples not translating to the next level. Of course you'll tell me he's so different from these guys but players like Etem and Yakupov never came close to burning anyone on a regular basis to make their place in the league. It will happen from time to time but pros will adapt to your game. IMO we're seeing signs of that already in the OHL. McLeod exploits the weak defenses at will but has struggled scoring on good teams.

Those are terrible comparisons. Etem and Yakupov were primarily snipers with 1:1 goal to assist ratios. McLeod is primarily a playmaker and a two-way center to boot.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
and how did their speed translate to the next level?

McLeod is closer to Scott Gomez than Yakupov and Etem in terms of how he uses his wheels. McLeod is the guy who uses his speed to exit the zone, gain the zone and dish it to a teammate. Whereas the other two use it more in the offensive zone

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
So your argument is fast players can't succeed in the NHL?

my argument is that he won't exploit pro players nearly as much with his speed. As most of his goals come from breakaways, rushes, in other words, speed, I think he'll become a one trick poney pretty quickly. The garbage goal scoring will be more random than anything at the next level, also. His hockey IQ is nothing special IMO. He's full speed all the time. That's great for scouts who want to speed players give an effort but you can't go full speed all the time. That will work against the 67's. But it won't work against competent hockey players.

Having speed is good but it won't take you far if you don't have the hockey IQ to go with it.

1). Their speed wasn't the driving factor of their games.

2). They weren't as fast as McLeod against CHL competition in the first place.

that's BS. Very few players dominated the CHL with his speed like Etem did. I can think of Rico Fata but there aren't tons. Btw, Fata, another player whose speed only got him so far.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
3rd assist for McLeod on a nice effort by Watson\

Edit: Just scored after picking a puck off and sniping one past the goalie lol. Exactly the goal you should like. 4 pts now

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
McLeod is closer to Scott Gomez than Yakupov and Etem in terms of how he uses his wheels. McLeod is the guy who uses his speed to exit the zone, gain the zone and dish it to a teammate. Whereas the other two use it more in the offensive zone

I'll give you he's efficient at gaining the zone with his speed. We'll where that gets him.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
my argument is that he won't exploit pro players nearly as much with his speed. As most of his goals come from breakaways, rushes, in other words, speed, I think he'll become a one trick poney pretty quickly. The garbage goal scoring will be more random than anything at the next level, also. His hockey IQ is nothing special IMO. He's full speed all the time. That's great for scouts who want to speed players give an effort but you can't go full speed all the time. That will work against the 67's. But it won't work against competent hockey players.

Having speed is good but it won't take you far if you don't have the hockey IQ to go with it.

that's BS. Very few players dominated the CHL with his speed like Etem did. I can think of Rico Fata but there aren't tons. Btw, Fata, another player whose speed only got him so far.

You compared him to Nail Yakupov based on nothing more than them both being fast players. They play nothing alike.

Simplifying a player to speed and nothing else is such a poor way of making an argument. If speed is the only factor you could just as easily compare McLeod to Ovechkin or McDavid.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Honestly I don't remember watching Etem, but he was not a 13th overall pick and was always considered boom or bust, so that's apples and oranges. Yakupov was a totally different style of player than McLeod, so there's no comparison there, either. The comparisons are ridiculous BS to begin with.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Simplifying a player to speed and nothing else is such a poor way of making an argument. If speed is the only factor you could just as easily compare McLeod to Ovechkin or McDavid.

It's the main driver of his game. It's not his hockey IQ that drives his game like McDavid. CM has terrific speed but he changes the speed of the game at will. Quite the opposite of McLeod.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Honestly I don't remember watching Etem, but he was not a 13th overall pick and was always considered boom or bust, so that's apples and oranges. Yakupov was a totally different style of player than McLeod, so there's no comparison there, either. The comparisons are ridiculous BS to begin with.

Yakupov is an excellent example of a player who didn't manage his speed in juniors. Always full speed all the time towards the other net. Worked in junior hockey. Not in pro hockey.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Why does everyone care what this one dude thinks? As we speak he's having a 4 point night. Let this guy think he's going to suck at the NHL level if he wants.

it's fun to toy with people who are grasping at straws

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
It's the main driver of his game. It's not his hockey IQ that drives his game like McDavid. CM has terrific speed but he changes the speed of the game at will. Quite the opposite of McLeod.

So his size, playmaking ability and faceoff acumen all count for nothing? I've seen players who play mindlessly, going full throttle all the time. We have on one on the Devils, his name is Miles Wood. McLeod is a much more cerebral player than you're giving him credit for.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
it's fun to toy with people who are grasping at straws

Think whatever you want. I've shown over the years to be right way more often than not in our various debates. Just recently I argued over Lazar, and how he was overrated. Even Grant McCagg, who's a huge fan of McLeod, pompus as ever, came to tell me McCarron was a better Lucic, Mantha was going to bust, Ho-Sang was going bust, and Beauvillier was going to bust (next in line is Abramov). On the other hand, a gamer like Lazar will thrive and Fleury would be much closer to Ekblad than most are saying (his opinion). How true all that is coming, ain't it.

So his size, playmaking ability and faceoff acumen all count for nothing? I've seen players who play mindlessly, going full throttle all the time. We have on one on the Devils, his name is Miles Wood. McLeod is a much more cerebral player than you're giving him credit for.

It doesn't count for nothing. It's just skills that aren't nearly as effective against pros, unlike hockey IQ. Faceoffs are nice but it's worth next to nothing. Vastly overrated part of the game.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Think whatever you want. I've shown over the years to be right way more often than not in our various debates.
/r/iamverysmart
Even Grant McCagg, who's a huge fan of McLeod, pompus as ever,
sounds more like personal beef with the guy so you naturally oppose the skater he's high on. not my place to interject

in other news,
mcleod accidentally got 1 goal and 3 assists tonight and Peterborough lost their first game of the playoffs. no correlation. maybe if mcleod scored all 5 goals to beat them, his performance would've meant something.

jk we all know Peterborough sucks so it wouldn't have mattered anyway

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
/r/iamverysmart

sounds more like personal beef with the guy so you naturally oppose the skater he's high on. not my place to interject

in other news,
mcleod accidentally got 1 goal and 3 assists tonight and Peterborough lost their first game of the playoffs. no correlation. maybe if mcleod scored all 5 goals to beat them, his performance would've meant something.

Peterborough is 0-1 in this round. They aren't a very good team.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
/r/iamverysmart

in other news,

But he's been right sometimes.

You're right, it is fun. My bad.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
But he's been right sometimes.

You're right, it is fun. My bad.
nature of the boards, either get frustrated by it or have fun with it. this isn't unique to this thread or the mikey haters, but HF is notorious for criticizing prospects to the point where they're breathing incorrectly. maybe criticism would be taken more seriously if it was offered in a realistic scope (i.e. giving credit where credit is due) as opposed to doubling down on it whenever a prospect does well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad