C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'll give him credit for a nice play on his goal, last night, but he did nothing on any of his assists.

original.gif

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Considering how sensitive you guys are, apparently a lot of people do.

You have egg on your face for a lot of the claims you made a couple months ago (eg: McLeod doesn't do well against good teams) and are now trying (unsuccessfully) to double down and be dismissive. Take your lumps, no one is always right.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
You have egg on your face for a lot of the claims you made a couple months ago (eg: McLeod doesn't do well against good teams) and are now trying (unsuccessfully) to double down and be dismissive. Take your lumps, no one is always right.

I never said McLeod would never score a point on a good team. My take is that his skill set won't translate offensively to the NHL. A hint to that is the disproportion in his numbers against good teams vs. bad teams. Look at the number of goals against good teams, that was just his 6th in 35 some games. Good he scored last night. Numbers on the whole are still far from great.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
i never said mcleod would never score a point on a good team. My take is that his skill set won't translate offensively to the nhl. A hint to that is the disproportion in his numbers against good teams vs. Bad teams. Look at the number of goals against good teams, that was just his 6th in 35 some games. Good he scored last night. Numbers on the whole are still far from great.

goals are not the only measure of offensive impact!!!!

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Alex Wennberg just put up a 60 pt season with 13 goals. You can produce without scoring.

Except he's very smart offensively and has a very good shot. Not traits I find in McLeod. Other teams have to respect other parts of your skillset. Same way Backstrom is a pass first guy but he'll burn you with his shot if you don't pay attention.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
To me this is funny because it's the exact opposite of the Zacha v Barzal debates I've seen. For so long I had to hear about how fantastic Barzal was relative to Zacha as evidenced by his gaudy point totals, even though most of them were assists. But now we have our own prospect in McLeod who is putting up points, again most of them assists, and suddenly those don't matter as much. Oh well...

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Except he's very smart offensively and has a very good shot. Not traits I find in McLeod. Other teams have to respect other parts of your skillset. Same way Backstrom is a pass first guy but he'll burn you with his shot if you don't pay attention.

Wennberg has 25 goals in 200+ NHL games :laugh: and he's a career 8.6% shooter. His shot is ass.

McLeod is one of the best playmakers in the OHL based on his assist totals, he has plenty of offensive talent

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Wennberg has 25 goals in 200+ NHL games :laugh: and he's a career 8.6% shooter. His shot is ass.

McLeod is one of the best playmakers in the OHL based on his assist totals, he has plenty of offensive talent

You're evaluating an NHL player relative to his peers. McLeod's shot is average relative to CHL players.

To me this is funny because it's the exact opposite of the Zacha v Barzal debates I've seen. For so long I had to hear about how fantastic Barzal was relative to Zacha as evidenced by his gaudy point totals, even though most of them were assists. But now we have our own prospect in McLeod who is putting up points, again most of them assists, and suddenly those don't matter as much. Oh well...

Barzal is excellent offensively because of his hockey IQ and creativity. On a lot of his assists, he makes the goal happen. Although McLeod isn't a bad playmaker, a lot of his assists come from him carrying the puck all the time. At some point he dishes it off to someone else who makes the play happen to score the goal. Basically what happened last night.

Last edited:

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I'll give him credit for a nice play on his goal, last night, but he did nothing on any of his assists.

As someone who hasn't watched the game or seen highlights, I would assume this means his teammates bounced the puck off him to another player who scored? Is that accurate?

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
So wait, players tend to score less against better teams and score more against worse teams.

This. Is. Revolutionary. Data.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Some folks just can simply never admit they were wrong.

McLeod will be centering NJ's top line scoring 60-plus points and it will be pointed out that a disproportionate amount of them were second assists on the power play on nights where his bottom of the standings opponent was playing in back-to-back nights with several injuries. The lengths some folks will go to so they can convince themselves they weren't wrong is sometimes staggering.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Some folks just can simply never admit they were wrong.

McLeod will be centering NJ's top line scoring 60-plus points and it will be pointed out that a disproportionate amount of them were second assists on the power play on nights where his bottom of the standings opponent was playing in back-to-back nights with several injuries. The lengths some folks will go to so they can convince themselves they weren't wrong is sometimes staggering.

:laugh:

quite something, and ironic, coming from you.

Last I checked, McLeod has played a total of 0 game in the NHL, btw.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
As someone who hasn't watched the game or seen highlights, I would assume this means his teammates bounced the puck off him to another player who scored? Is that accurate?

Ha, that statement was ridiculous, wasn't it? I think 75 % of posters here post just to stir things up and laugh. Posts like that one cement my beliefs.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Should have been picked ahead of Brown and Jost. This kid is a stud. Can't wait to see him on a line with 37

Zahca-MacLeod-Henricque

Not a bad second line.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
McLeod is producing very well but nothing he has done indicates he's going to be a 60 point guy in the future. In the modern NHL a 60 point center is a #1 center statistically. Add in McLeod's excellent two-way play and faceoff ability and we're talking about a Toews-type elite level center.

I like the kid, but he'll never be that good.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Points are not awarded based on style, they're awarded based on producing. Just because you don't like the way they were recorded doesn't make them invalid or McLeod an inferior player.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Points are not awarded based on style, they're awarded based on producing. Just because you don't like the way they were recorded doesn't make them invalid or McLeod an inferior player.

The way players produce their points doesn't matter but it can be a way to evaluate if the production translates to the next level. I think Mcleod could be a 45 points 2C with speed that can carry the puck and be a passer on the PP but nothing here suggests he will be able to score goals or produce top line level offense in the NHL based on what he has done in the OHL and his game in the offensive zone.

He'll be fine but he is not proving anyone right or wrong at all. This is the type of production that is expected for someone who was picked where he was in his d+1.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
:laugh:

quite something, and ironic, coming from you.

Last I checked, McLeod has played a total of 0 game in the NHL, btw.
I'm following this thread and there is a lot I agree about in terms of McLeod. He won't be a sniper at the NHL level nor will he be a player to put up a good share of his points off the cycle. What i disagree with is that he won't get breakaways at the NHL level. Paul Byron and Dylan Larkin prove that being elite at creating breakaways will translate to the NHL level. Also, from what I hear about McLeod is that he loves to workout and improve, if he has the right mindset he will turn his shot into a strength because Kesler's shot wasn't a strength as a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad