C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
You're evaluating an NHL player relative to his peers. McLeod's shot is average relative to CHL players.

Barzal is excellent offensively because of his hockey IQ and creativity. On a lot of his assists, he makes the goal happen. Although McLeod isn't a bad playmaker, a lot of his assists come from him carrying the puck all the time. At some point he dishes it off to someone else who makes the play happen to score the goal. Basically what happened last night.

If this is true, and he's just being carried by his linemates, then why does he lead his team in scoring?

If he such a terrible shot, why is he 2nd on his team in goals?

Eerie has 6 players in the top 15 of scoring. Mississauga has 2, and they're on the same line. McLeod is carrying that team.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm following this thread and there is a lot I agree about in terms of McLeod. He won't be a sniper at the NHL level nor will he be a player to put up a good share of his points off the cycle. What i disagree with is that he won't get breakaways at the NHL level. Paul Byron and Dylan Larkin prove that being elite at creating breakaways will translate to the NHL level. Also, from what I hear about McLeod is that he loves to workout and improve, if he has the right mindset he will turn his shot into a strength because Kesler's shot wasn't a strength as a prospect.

It also fits with what the Devils want to build long term.

Shero wants a fast transition team. In his ideal world we are scoring off transition and breakaways and no so much off cycles.

I don't think anyone is arguing he has even a good NHL shot. He can definitely improve it, but playmaking off the rush seems to be his strength along with great in the dot and good two way play.

I think it is fine if people are opening up to the idea of him becoming more then his initial draft projection. Odds are he still becomes only a good-great middle 6 guy, but his play is good enough that to think maybe there is a bit more here.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'm following this thread and there is a lot I agree about in terms of McLeod. He won't be a sniper at the NHL level nor will he be a player to put up a good share of his points off the cycle. What i disagree with is that he won't get breakaways at the NHL level. Paul Byron and Dylan Larkin prove that being elite at creating breakaways will translate to the NHL level. Also, from what I hear about McLeod is that he loves to workout and improve, if he has the right mindset he will turn his shot into a strength because Kesler's shot wasn't a strength as a prospect.

All reasonable points. Indeed, McLeod rated as top or among the top at the Vo2 max test. Although a big part of it is genetics, there's no doubt he's a good athlete and that will help him in the future. Same for his work ethic.

If this is true, and he's just being carried by his linemates, then why does he lead his team in scoring?

Eerie has 6 players in the top 15 of scoring. Mississauga has 2, and they're on the same line. McLeod is carrying that team.

I never said he was carried by his teammates.

Goals that came against weak teams. Wonder how many times I'll have to repeat myself about this one.

It's entirely fine if you don't agree with my assessment. I'm puzzled as to why so many of you have to be such babies about someone not liking your favorite prospect as much.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

McLeod..as I contended last year..actually has a half decent shot but didn't use it enough until the second half of this season. in the last 35 games he's been on pace for a 50+-goal season and quite a few of them were on good shots...but once this fellow you responded to forms an opinion on someone...forget it...all he needs to do is look closely at the shot he took on the goal last night...it was a dandy. Almost scored on two other occasions with very good shots as well..but I suppose when your extent of scouting a player is to intermittently look at highlight you wouldn't know that.

He battled with me all last year about McLeod on the Montreal board....I come on here recently for the first time in years..and he's even on the prospects thread a year later still complaining about him. Not sure I've ever seen anyone as obsessed with not liking a player quite as much as him...there's probably a message board in Korea where he's dissing McLeod. ;)

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
McLeod..as I contended last year..actually has a half decent shot but didn't use it enough until the second half of this season. in the last 35 games he's been on pace for a 50+-goal season and quite a few of them were on good shots...but once this fellow you responded to forms an opinion on someone...forget it...all he needs to do is look closely at the shot he took on the goal last night...it was a dandy. Almost scored on two other occasions with very good shots as well..but I suppose when your extent of scouting a player is to intermittently look at highlight you wouldn't know that.

He battled with me all last year about McLeod on the Montreal board....I come on here recently for the first time in years..and he's even on the prospects thread a year later still complaining about him. Not sure I've ever seen anyone as obsessed with not liking a player quite as much as him...there's probably a message board in Korea where he's dissing McLeod. ;)

Funny, as we never argued once about McLeod.

However, we argued over Mantha, McCarron, Duclair, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier. Not looking good for you, 0/5.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
McLeod will be a 60-point scoring NHL center who does it all..faceoffs, PK, puck possession, big goals, great playoff performances...great skating...he'll have one of the top ten motors in the NHL and will always be working hard.....quite a player to dislike.

Last edited:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
For not arguing much with Grant about McLeod, you seem to bring him up alot :laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/search.php?searchid=46681469

Weird how you bring him up without him being involved in the conversation multiple times but who knows, it's certainly not an obsession, right? I mean god damn you make a **** ton of posts directed at McCagg for all the complaining you do about posts directed at you here :laugh:

It pretty much seems to me that you are driven by your desire to be validated and proven right that no matter how McLeod does, you'll keep pushing your agenda. First it wasn't enough points. Then it wasn't enough points against top teams. Then it was defining who's a top team. Then it was not enough goals against top teams. What's next? Not enough goals on Tuesdays?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Michael McLeod is looking great in the playoffs. Hopefully he can keep it going against a very good Petes team and maybe, maybe get some Memorial Cup experience this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Michael McLeod is looking great in the playoffs. Hopefully he can keep it going against a very good Petes team and maybe, maybe get some Memorial Cup experience this year.
They'll need some luck. It feels like Erie will steamroll Owen Sound and I can't see the Steelheads keeping up with that firepower. Like most years, whoever wins the West is going to get the OHL Memorial Cup spot, in the last 10 years a team from the East has won the J. Ross Robertson trophy once.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
They'll need some luck. It feels like Erie will steamroll Owen Sound and I can't see the Steelheads keeping up with that firepower. Like most years, whoever wins the West is going to get the OHL Memorial Cup spot, in the last 10 years a team from the East has won the J. Ross Robertson trophy once.

You're probably right, they will be underdogs to Erie if both teams are healthy (assuming Missy even beat the Petes in the first place). I feel like if Tippett and Ryan McLeod play to their best abilities, like Michael's been doing, Steelheads could make it a series though (I picked them in that predictions thread). Either way, should be a fun last few weeks in the OHL.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
McLeod needs to score more NHL goals to solidify himself as OHL playoff MVP

Don't disagree with me or I'll call you a baby.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
You're probably right, they will be underdogs to Erie if both teams are healthy (assuming Missy even beat the Petes in the first place). I feel like if Tippett and Ryan McLeod play to their best abilities, like Michael's been doing, Steelheads could make it a series though (I picked them in that predictions thread). Either way, should be a fun last few weeks in the OHL.
Spencer Watson has been big for them too

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
No points in their 3-0 win but 8 shots, Mississauga looks really good

Maybe the best I've ever seen him play. Wouldn't be surprised if he personally out-attempted the Petes when he was on the ice. His line generated 70% of the shots (17) of the entire Petes team (24). Petes got outshot 52-24 overall.

Mississauga's making them look like a Bantam team, like they have to every team they've met in the playoffs so far. I don't think it's out of the question they could go toe to toe with Eerie.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Michael Mcleod has 26 shots in his last 7 games, against top competition. That is almost 4 shots a game, he has actually been unlucky not to have an extra 2 goals in that time frame.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Michael Mcleod has 26 shots in his last 7 games, against top competition. That is almost 4 shots a game, he has actually been unlucky not to have an extra 2 goals in that time frame.

McLeod looked awesome last night against Peterborough. Sometimes I feel he tries to do too much, but all in all I was very impressed. However, I wouldn't say he is against top competition right now. The East in the OHL is very bad this year. I mean if Peterborough was in the West they would be fighting for 7th place. I am excited to see what he will do against Erie or Owen Sound though

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
McLeod looked awesome last night against Peterborough. Sometimes I feel he tries to do too much, but all in all I was very impressed. However, I wouldn't say he is against top competition right now. The East in the OHL is very bad this year. I mean if Peterborough was in the West they would be fighting for 7th place. I am excited to see what he will do against Erie or Owen Sound though

oh wow would you look at that, valid criticism but without discrediting everything mikey's done. what a concept!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
His transition game and offense off the rush really reminds me of Taylor Hall but at center. he continues to gain confidence with the puck. If he can turn his shot into a strength he will be a very dangerous player at the pro level as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad