C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's just another example in a long line of goal post shifts that have happened in this thread. Every time he has accomplished something the same group of people show up to set new benchmarks that didn't exist before.

What the flying **** are you going on about? How am I shifting goal posts? All I said is that he's not so dominant that he has nothing to learn in junior.

Seriously the passive aggressiveness in these posts is hilarious. There is plenty for players to learn in junior, and there are very few 19 year olds who 'have nothing to learn in junior'.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What the flying **** are you going on about? How am I shifting goal posts? All I said is that he's not so dominant that he has nothing to learn in junior.

Seriously the passive aggressiveness in these posts is hilarious. There is plenty for players to learn in junior, and there are very few 19 year olds who 'have nothing to learn in junior'.

You're shifting the goalposts by using Marner as the comparison, as if that has ever been a realistic target.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You're shifting the goalposts by using Marner as the comparison, as if that has ever been a realistic target.

I'm using Marner as an example of a player who was better than McLeod but still benefited from returning to junior.

Everything else about him as a realistic comparison or target, you made up in your head.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

Oh I see what you are saying now. I mean I understand your thinking behind that one but the phrasing could have been a little bit better which is why I got thrown off a little bit.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Oh I see what you are saying now. I mean I understand your thinking behind that one but the phrasing could have been a little bit better which is why I got thrown off a little bit.

I mean, this is what I said:

"He definitely has something to prove still at this level. Mitch Marner went back after a 2.0 PPG season."

I thought it was pretty clear what I was getting at . . . But I guess some people would prefer to label me a hater instead of actually reading what I post.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ

Lol at no point did he compare McLeod to Marner. Work on your reading comprehension. So many children in this thread trying to misconstrue anything that is not glorious praise of McLeod as criticism.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner was never sent back for his draft +2 year though. I would be careful sending McLeod back, especially if the team somehow wins the league/Memorial Cup and accomplishes everything this year. There's always the option to send him back down if necessary. Regardless, I think this will boil down to his offseason and training camp performance.

Yea, but Marner as a draft+1 player was a much better player than McLeod.

Marner is a winger and thus, not a good comparison for McLeod.

I think a better comparison would be Bo Horvat. Their draft +1 regular season numbers are very similar, but McLeod blows his playoff numbers out of the water. Since the WJC, I think McLeod has been at nearly a 1.6 ppg.

I'm not saying he's definitely ready, but I think he's earned a long, hard look at training camp.
There is still plenty for him to work on and improve on at the CHL level. Zacha probably could have learned at the CHL level this year. It is a drastic overstatement when people say prospects have nothing left to learn at that level. Look at how the Jets developed Mark Schiefele or the Coyotes with Max Domi.

How often is there actually a kid who is too good for the CHL? McDavid in his draft year maybe, Crosby in his draft year, and maybe Marner last year. Sometimes when you accelerate guys development it makes it tough to fully develop their offensive game as they have to simplify it so much to stay in the NHL.

As for Horvat, he and McLeod are quite different style of players. McLeod is a speedster at the junior level who excels off the rush, Horvat was a questionable skating but a hard working 2-way center who had a strong cycle game. Outside of position, their playstyle isn't all that similar.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I never get the McLeod hate. Sure he may not be the flashiest of prospects around but nothing wrong with Solid safe picks. I always pictured this guy to be a great 2nd line center any team would kill for(say to the level of Kesler) and at worse he will end up as a bottom 6 center who excels defensively. What exactly is wrong with that? Not every prospect has to be McDavid

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I could see Mikey going back to OHL to play 1 more season with his brother. It potentially will be the last time that they will spend a season together on the same team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I could see Mikey going back to OHL to play 1 more season with his brother. It potentially will be the last time that they will spend a season together on the same team.

Something tells me that a 900k paycheck is more appealing then playing with your little brother

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Really doubt he chooses to put the NHL, and all that brings with it, off for one more year in juniors because of his bro. He is going to play where the Devils tell him to

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I don't think he'll be in the NHL next year but he could be. Has shown a lot and if NJ feels like he's ready he'll be up. They won't rush anyone based on their rebuild.

As for potential, I don't think McLeod will be a 1C but he could be a solid 2C and that would really be great for the Devils. Kesler is a good comp I think and while that's probably the high-end of his potential, he's made some great progress this year. Lots of things to be excited for.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Mississauga slaughtering the Petes 6-0 in the third. McLeod with a goal and assist. If I'm the Sound or the Otters I'm not taking Missi lightly.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
good for Mikey and the Steelheads. excited to see them take on the winner of the west

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I mean, this is what I said:

"He definitely has something to prove still at this level. Mitch Marner went back after a 2.0 PPG season."

I thought it was pretty clear what I was getting at . . . But I guess some people would prefer to label me a hater instead of actually reading what I post.

Wasn't that London team one of the best, dominant teams in recent years?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wasn't that London team one of the best, dominant teams in recent years?
The team he put up 2ppg in his draft year? No. They were sellers mid-year and traded McCarron to Guelph for example. The Knights the next year ran through the playoffs but actually finished behind Erie in the regular season.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Remember when McLeod couldn't get ice time in the WJC and still put up 3 points in like 30 minutes?

They really should have used him more. Dylan Strome and Dubois were the only ones on that roster that should have been used ahead of him. Playing guys like Cirelli and Stephens over him? Pfft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I compared Mcleod to Kesler his draft year, if he hits his ceiling as a player. If you are a Devils fan. You have to like his progression this year. He's looking like he is on track on becoming an impact NHL player.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
People keep making the Kesler comparison for McLeod but I just don't see it. I mean, I certainly understand where it's coming from because both men have extremely high compete levels, but for me that's where the comparison ends. Kesler is more of a chip-and-chase kind of guy who's all about getting to the front of the net. McLeod on the other hand has the ability to carry the puck with speed to enter the zone, and his vision is high-level.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's Mcleod's skating, work ethic and being a similar build right sided Center that reminds me of a bit of Kesler. Also when Kesler was drafted his scoring totals were modest but grew in time. Something we have seen for Mcleod this season also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad