C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
People keep making the Kesler comparison for McLeod but I just don't see it. I mean, I certainly understand where it's coming from because both men have extremely high compete levels, but for me that's where the comparison ends. Kesler is more of a chip-and-chase kind of guy who's all about getting to the front of the net. McLeod on the other hand has the ability to carry the puck with speed to enter the zone, and his vision is high-level.
Tbf to Kesler in his heyday he often picked the puck up in his own zone and just fly end to end fairly often. Though you are right that Kesler is a direct player whose strong suit isn't his vision.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
They really should have used him more. Dylan Strome and Dubois were the only ones on that roster that should have been used ahead of him. Playing guys like Cirelli and Stephens over him? Pfft.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Cirelli and Stephens were like two of our best forwards.

He should have played more though, I'm a huge McLeod fan! Big things from him this year if he isn't chelling it up

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Cirelli and Stephens were like two of our best forwards.

He should have played more though, I'm a huge McLeod fan! Big things from him this year if he isn't chelling it up

I'm not knocking them as players, but McLeod's on another level. Watching him this playoff run has been a revelation, even for me. You don't play someone as dynamic and hard working as McLeod 3 minutes a game if you're trying to win.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I'm not knocking them as players, but McLeod's on another level. Watching him this playoff run has been a revelation, even for me. You don't play someone as dynamic and hard working as McLeod 3 minutes a game if you're trying to win.

I agree, but not at the expense of those two

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
2 PPG against the Petes, not bad at all.

I am one of the biggest McLeod supporters on here, but l will have to agree with Whiskey in that another year in junior (after a short NHL stint and preseason) will do McLeod wonders. Especially since he'll get top 6 minutes at the WJCs this year, and the chance to maybe play at the Olympics against pretty good competition.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I am by no means comparing him to McDavid. McDavid is clearly a generational player. But if there is any player over the last say 5 years that can carry the puck with the speed of McDavid it is McLeod. He has excellent vision and utilizes his team mates very well. Aside from his speed and vision I think his best asset is his ability to get into the open. He can draw the defenders to him, allowing him to feed the other players and can accelerate quickly enough that he can escape the defenders and get open himself and create a scoring chance on the give and go.
I am excited for this player in NJ. He really started the season slow and I was somewhat dissapointed at the beginnning. He has improved a lot throughout the season, but he has been on a whole other level and has been dominating through the playoffs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I am by no means comparing him to McDavid. McDavid is clearly a generational player. But if there is any player over the last say 5 years that can carry the puck with the speed of McDavid it is McLeod. He has excellent vision and utilizes his team mates very well. Aside from his speed and vision I think his best asset is his ability to get into the open. He can draw the defenders to him, allowing him to feed the other players and can accelerate quickly enough that he can escape the defenders and get open himself and create a scoring chance on the give and go.
I am excited for this player in NJ. He really started the season slow and I was somewhat dissapointed at the beginnning. He has improved a lot throughout the season, but he has been on a whole other level and has been dominating through the playoffs.
Did you just forget about the existence of Nathan Mackinnon? McLeod's an elite skater, but I'd say he's behind those 2 out of the last 5 drafts. Jordan Kyrou in the OHL also has absolutely ridiculous skating.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
People keep making the Kesler comparison for McLeod but I just don't see it.

I think the Kesler comparison is not as much about playing style but spot you project them to be on a team's roster(ie a very high level #2C who has a 2 way game)

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think the Kesler comparison is not as much about playing style but spot you project them to be on a team's roster(ie a very high level #2C who has a 2 way game)

That's probably it. I also think the fact that Mcleod is known as being very good defensively plays a big part in this. Most Devils fans compared him to a faster Zajac initially, and I remember lots of discussion comparing Zajac to Kesler over the years even though they have different playing styles (the comparisons were more that both were very solid defensive centers, but not true number 1 Centers).

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
One thing I love about his game, and something that's really lacking on the Devils, is his movement in the offensive zone. The guy is a ****ing bee on crack out there he just doesn't stop moving. It created fits for the Petes yesterday. They had to always keep an eye on where was which helped create space for Mikey's teammates. I don't think anyone on the Devils does that. Granted there's a difference between the NHL and OHL but Mikey's motor is something we lack. There's too much standing around, endless cycling that leads to no where. I think Mikey will help big time in that regard.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If the Devils don't give him 9 games next season I'll be pissed.

He's the type of player coaches love. I see his situation similar to Speers last season, only Mikey has better raw physical tools. Unfortunately the Devils are deeper at center than they are at RW so that's a big difference between the two scenarios. But either way I highly doubt the Devils won't at least give up a look for a few games to start the year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's the type of player coaches love. I see his situation similar to Speers last season, only Mikey has better raw physical tools. Unfortunately the Devils are deeper at center than they are at RW so that's a big difference between the two scenarios. But either way I highly doubt the Devils won't at least give up a look for a few games to start the year.

They aren't that deep. Zajac is the only center that is a guarantee.

Zacha can play wing and so can Rico (if he isn't traded).

McLeod can also play RW, which is very thin.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
McLeod must be a top 5 prospect who's not in the NHL.

Not yet. I think he has moved up even from where Pronman had him at 33. He's probably top 20 and after his second half/playoffs it seems justified. I'm looking forward to new rankings to see how scouts view his progress.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mckagg when he was with Mckeens had Mcleod as high as 5 last year. Higher than Dubois. This is a good testament that maybe the Devils have a good one here because I do respect his eye for talent.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Mckagg when he was with Mckeens had Mcleod as high as 5 last year. Higher than Dubois. This is a good testament that maybe the Devils have a good one here because I do respect his eye for talent.

In April of last year, McKeens had McLeod 3rd - only behind Laine and Matthews.

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-apr-2016/

Not sure where he landed in the final rankings, but do recall how high McKegg was on McLeod leading up to the draft. I know a lot of Devils fans were disappointed at the time (myself included) on missing out on Keller and Jost, but seeing how enamored he was with McLeod made me like the pick, particularly over Brown.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In April of last year, McKeens had McLeod 3rd - only behind Laine and Matthews.

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-apr-2016/

Not sure where he landed in the final rankings, but do recall how high McKegg was on McLeod leading up to the draft. I know a lot of Devils fans were disappointed at the time (myself included) on missing out on Keller and Jost, but seeing how enamored he was with McLeod made me like the pick, particularly over Brown.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know he once had him at #3. I like Brown too, and IMO I think both the Sens and Devils will have good Centers in these 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad