C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Can't wait to see him in training camp. He's not eligible to play in the AHL next year because of his age so it's NHL or back to the OHL.

Last year, I thought Zacha should definitely be in the NHL as there wasn't much more for him to learn in the OHL (also wasn't AHL eligible).. but not sure about McLeod. He seems to be dominating of late. Depends how good the Steelheads project to be next year, maybe. Might be good enough right now to compete for a roster spot.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Can't wait to see him in training camp. He's not eligible to play in the AHL next year because of his age so it's NHL or back to the OHL.

Last year, I thought Zacha should definitely be in the NHL as there wasn't much more for him to learn in the OHL (also wasn't AHL eligible).. but not sure about McLeod. He seems to be dominating of late. Depends how good the Steelheads project to be next year, maybe. Might be good enough right now to compete for a roster spot.

Should definitely get a full camp and some games to see how he does.

Worst case it is a cup of coffee and he does what Speers did. Best case he sticks.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
What a playoffs so far for Michael McLeod. Looks like a finals appearance is on the horizon. Fantastic series for him so far with 6 points in 3 games against the Petes.

He should definitely get the training camp and a few NHL games to start next year, but since he is the type of prospect who requires top minutes at this stage of development (rather than being ushered into a third line role in NJ), Id like to see him go back to the OHL after preseason and a few RS NHL games. He will have a top 6 role at the WJCs to look forward to (he improved greatly after last years WJC), and a likely spot on Canada's Olympic team, since NHL players are not going to attend.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What a playoffs so far for Michael McLeod. Looks like a finals appearance is on the horizon. Fantastic series for him so far with 6 points in 3 games against the Petes.

He should definitely get the training camp and a few NHL games to start next year, but since he is the type of prospect who requires top minutes at this stage of development (rather than being ushered into a third line role in NJ), Id like to see him go back to the OHL after preseason and a few RS NHL games. He will have a top 6 role at the WJCs to look forward to (he improved greatly after last years WJC), and a likely spot on Canada's Olympic team, since NHL players are not going to attend.

He's probably due for a very interesting year next year if he doesn't make the NHL team full-time.

Getting a couple games in the NHL, going to the WJC, and going to the Olympics seems very likely for him.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
There's been talk about what McLeod would do against a "good" team, since he should be penalized for doing well in the games he has played in.

Against the top-seeded Petes:

7 pts, 22 shots (!) in 3 games.

I think this should put to rest talk about not being able to play well vs. good teams

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
It's a tough call, but I think another year in the OHL would be best for McLeod's development. Honestly, I think he has the potential to be a really special player the way he can carry the puck with speed. At this stage of the game, I think heavy minutes would be best for his development and Mississauga will be a great situation for him. He could be the team's leader, best player, top line center, and one of the best players in the OHL next year. Additionally, he would be a lock for the WJC and be a top line player for Canada most likely.

Obviously the AHL would be ideal for a guy like him, but unfortunately with the rules that just can't happen.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
It's a tough call, but I think another year in the OHL would be best for McLeod's development. Honestly, I think he has the potential to be a really special player the way he can carry the puck with speed. At this stage of the game, I think heavy minutes would be best for his development and Mississauga will be a great situation for him. He could be the team's leader, best player, top line center, and one of the best players in the OHL next year. Additionally, he would be a lock for the WJC and be a top line player for Canada most likely.

Obviously the AHL would be ideal for a guy like him, but unfortunately with the rules that just can't happen.

He's absolutely dominating the OHL playoffs, he has nothing left to prove at that level. He's NHL ready at this point, I don't see the point of sending him back down.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

He's been dominating the OHL since the WJC. That's 4 months and it may be 5 depending on how the Steelheads do going forward

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's absolutely dominating the OHL playoffs, he has nothing left to prove at that level. He's NHL ready at this point, I don't see the point of sending him back down.

He definitely has something to prove still at this level. Mitch Marner went back after a 2.0 PPG season. Mikey has yet to even score 30 goals in a season. He's having a great playoff but short of being able to play in the AHL their is no reason to rush him.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
He definitely has something to prove still at this level. Mitch Marner went back after a 2.0 PPG season. Mikey has yet to even score 30 goals in a season. He's having a great playoff but short of being able to play in the AHL their is no reason to rush him.

Marner was never sent back for his draft +2 year though. I would be careful sending McLeod back, especially if the team somehow wins the league/Memorial Cup and accomplishes everything this year. There's always the option to send him back down if necessary. Regardless, I think this will boil down to his offseason and training camp performance.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Marner was never sent back for his draft +2 year though. I would be careful sending McLeod back, especially if the team somehow wins the league/Memorial Cup and accomplishes everything this year. There's always the option to send him back down if necessary. Regardless, I think this will boil down to his offseason and training camp performance.

Yea, but Marner as a draft+1 player was a much better player than McLeod.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

Marner is a winger and thus, not a good comparison for McLeod.

I think a better comparison would be Bo Horvat. Their draft +1 regular season numbers are very similar, but McLeod blows his playoff numbers out of the water. Since the WJC, I think McLeod has been at nearly a 1.6 ppg.

I'm not saying he's definitely ready, but I think he's earned a long, hard look at training camp.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

...and? McLeod isn't projected to be as good of an offensive player so that is an unfair comparison. If McLeod somehow did better than Marner we hit a massive jackpot, but that's a crazy expectation to hold.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's just another example in a long line of goal post shifts that have happened in this thread. Every time he has accomplished something the same group of people show up to set new benchmarks that didn't exist before.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm glad that he's showing good signs. New Jersey needs top six forwards as much anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad