C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The thread should be bumped whenever and every opinion should be allowed and respected. I don't understand why you can't both praise and criticise respectfully.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Glad to see Mikey putting up some points - I was able to catch game 3 - really happy with how he is carrying and distributing the puck off the rush - you get the feeling that he'll be able to bring that part of his game to the NHL, his confidence is sky high when he hits the blue line with speed. He had a couple of nice drop passes to set up Watson goals, especially on Watson's hat trick goal, where he made a nice move to side step a defender. Those two are fun to watch together.

That all said, I still think his numbers this year are running a bit hot, and while that's great news for his confidence and subsequent development, I don't think his recent production should necessarily be taken at face value - he's shooting at 18.8% in the playoffs and 16.0% for the season overall.

Compare that to last year where he shot at only 12.4% - a figure which would be more representative of what we should expect (at the junior level) from a player with his shot and skillset - I know he's worked a lot to improve that part of his game but that's a pretty big jump. So while he's​ scored 9 more goals and 20 more points than last year (in 2 more overall games) he's​ only taken 13 more shots - effectively going from 3.0 to 3.1 shots per game. It's certainly plausible that he's taken on more of a playmaking role is creating a lot more chances - I haven't seen enough of him this year to say if that's the case.

I'm sure I'll be again accused of not being a Devils fan for posting that opinion, but I think it needed to be pointed out.

Ummm . . . Ottawa is terrible - they were one of the worst teams in the OHL this year. They were 16th in a 20 team league with a -50 goal differential. Oshawa had an average regular season - 8th overall - but they finished really poorly (like 6-7 in their last 13 games, including 2 losses to a bad Ottawa team by a combined 12-2). I wouldn't​ call them a strong team by any stretch, especially with how Brodeur has looked in the last 2 games.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Mikey has taken advantage of sub par playoff opponents - he's playing exactly as you'd hope, and he's getting the bounces to go with it. But I don't think his playoff performance to date proves anything about his ability to score against stronger teams in the OHL, and I don't think it wise to bump this thread every time he has a good game during this hot streak, as it will invite others to do the same when he cools off.

I thought Ottawa was a stronger team than they are. He's playing phenomenally, though. I think that's worth sharing.

About his shooting %, virtually all of his goals are coming from around the net. He goes to the scoring areas relentlessly. He's really good at banging in loose pucks and getting open for point blank one timers. I don't know if that's different from how he's played in the past, but it's working for him right now.

It might also be luck. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Glad to see Mikey putting up some points - I was able to catch game 3 - really happy with how he is carrying and distributing the puck off the rush - you get the feeling that he'll be able to bring that part of his game to the NHL, his confidence is sky high when he hits the blue line with speed. He had a couple of nice drop passes to set up Watson goals, especially on Watson's hat trick goal, where he made a nice move to side step a defender. Those two are fun to watch together.

That all said, I still think his numbers this year are running a bit hot, and while that's great news for his confidence and subsequent development, I don't think his recent production should necessarily be taken at face value - he's shooting at 18.8% in the playoffs and 16.0% for the season overall.

Compare that to last year where he shot at only 12.4% - a figure which would be more representative of what we should expect (at the junior level) from a player with his shot and skillset - I know he's worked a lot to improve that part of his game but that's a pretty big jump. So while he's​ scored 9 more goals and 20 more points than last year (in 2 more overall games) he's​ only taken 13 more shots - effectively going from 3.0 to 3.1 shots per game. It's certainly plausible that he's taken on more of a playmaking role is creating a lot more chances - I haven't seen enough of him this year to say if that's the case.

I'm sure I'll be again accused of not being a Devils fan for posting that opinion, but I think it needed to be pointed out.

Ummm . . . Ottawa is terrible - they were one of the worst teams in the OHL this year. They were 16th in a 20 team league with a -50 goal differential. Oshawa had an average regular season - 8th overall - but they finished really poorly (like 6-7 in their last 13 games, including 2 losses to a bad Ottawa team by a combined 12-2). I wouldn't​ call them a strong team by any stretch, especially with how Brodeur has looked in the last 2 games.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Mikey has taken advantage of sub par playoff opponents - he's playing exactly as you'd hope, and he's getting the bounces to go with it. But I don't think his playoff performance to date proves anything about his ability to score against stronger teams in the OHL, and I don't think it wise to bump this thread every time he has a good game during this hot streak, as it will invite others to do the same when he cools off.

16% isnt really all that high for a forward in a league like the OHL. Here are the shooting percentages of the top 8 OHL scorers. Dont feel like calculating more lol

1) DeBrincat- 21%
2) Raddysh- 21%
3) Mascherin- 13%
4) Palmu- 14.3%
5) Suzuki- 17%
6) Kyrou- 13.5%
7) Moore- 13.5%
8) Pu- 19%

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
16% isnt really all that high for a forward in a league like the OHL. Here are the shooting percentages of the top 8 OHL scorers. Dont feel like calculating more lol

1) DeBrincat- 21%
2) Raddysh- 21%
3) Mascherin- 13%
4) Palmu- 14.3%
5) Suzuki- 17%
6) Kyrou- 13.5%
7) Moore- 13.5%
8) Pu- 19%

Yea agreed it's not that high, but for a guy with a mediocre shot like McLeod it might be a bit high. But to VC's point, he might just be getting to the net better this year and generating more shots in close.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Yea agreed it's not that high, but for a guy with a mediocre shot like McLeod it might be a bit high. But to VC's point, he might just be getting to the net better this year and generating more shots in close.

FWIW he really only seems to shoot in tight. almost always goes for a pass otherwise

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

1) DeBrincat- 21%
2) Raddysh- 21%
3) Mascherin- 13%
4) Palmu- 14.3%
5) Suzuki- 17%
6) Kyrou- 13.5%
7) Moore- 13.5%
8) Pu- 19%

The only problem I have with shooting percentage in lower leagues, is many times it tells me a guy doesn't shoot enough

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Over the last 2 years,

McLeod in the regular season, 114 games, 134 points, 1.17 PPG

McLeod in the playoffs, 16 games, 26 points, 1.62 PPG

Part of why McKeen had McLeod at 3 last year was because of how he stepped up his game and put Mississauga on his back in the OHL playoffs against a much better Barrie team. Almost led to an upset.

You could call sample size, but this is two straight years he's done this.

Are there other examples of players stepping up this much in the playoffs? I know Zacha did last year.

Last edited:

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
steelheads take on the petes in the ECF. petes ended #1 in the east and swept the first 2 rounds. surely, SURELY if mcleod does well against them, people wont spin the wheel of excuses...right? inb4 the east is weak so it doesn't count if he produces

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
steelheads take on the petes in the ECF. petes ended #1 in the east and swept the first 2 rounds. surely, SURELY if mcleod does well against them, people wont spin the wheel of excuses...right? inb4 the east is weak so it doesn't count if he produces

and how many goals did he score on Oshawa?

besides, 6 assists in 5 games against Oshawa is nothing to write home about.

... with the 6 games against Oshawa that gives him 5 goals in 35 games against top 13 teams, this season, 28 in 33, otherwise.

Last edited:

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
and how many goals did he score on Oshawa?

besides, 6 assists in 5 games against Oshawa is nothing to write home about.

... with the 6 games against Oshawa that gives him 5 goals in 35 games against top 13 teams, this season, 28 in 33, otherwise.
im impressed by my ability to summon you

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
It's such a shame that assists don't count as points and don't matter in any way.

Considering my main concern with him was that the only way you'd see him score goals was on breakaways, garbage goals and so on. This doesn't change any of my concerns towards him. Only reinforces them. I think he's the exact type of player who can exploit weak CHL teams with his speed, size and effort. Not gonna work at the next level. That's my assessment. Good for you if you like him. I know he's a god to many.

Reactions: HzH

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Considering my main concern with him was that the only way you'd see him score goals was on breakaways, garbage goals and so on. This doesn't change any of my concerns towards him. Only reinforces them. I think he's the exact type of player who can exploits weak CHL teams with his speed, size and effort. Not gonna work at the next level. That's my assessment. Good for you if you like him. I know he's a god to many.

Well, in that case it's a shame that he's done developing and will never get better player. It's really too bad he couldn't have molded himself after what your specific likes and expectations were, then his career wouldn't be over today.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Well, in that case it's a shame that he's done developing and will never get better player. It's really too bad he couldn't have molded himself after what your specific likes and expectations were, then his career wouldn't be over today.

Good job answering nothing of what I've said.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Considering my main concern with him was that the only way you'd see him score goals was on breakaways, garbage goals and so on. This doesn't change any of my concerns towards him. Only reinforces them. I think he's the exact type of player who can exploit weak CHL teams with his speed, size and effort. Not gonna work at the next level. That's my assessment. Good for you if you like him. I know he's a god to many.

He is going to be quicker than 95% of NHL dmen, so I think he is going to get a lot of those garbage goals in the NHL. I see him as a 15-35 guy in the NHL who will be a pain in the ass to play with his tenacity and speed. That profiles as a low end 1C or high end 2C

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
He is going to be quicker than 95% of NHL dmen, so I think he is going to get a lot of those garbage goals in the NHL. I see him as a 15-35 guy in the NHL who will be a pain in the ass to play with his tenacity and speed. That profiles as a low end 1C or high end 2C

We shall see. We've seen plenty of examples not translating to the next level. Of course you'll tell me he's so different from these guys but players like Etem and Yakupov never came close to burning anyone on a regular basis to make their place in the league. It will happen from time to time but pros will adapt to your game. IMO we're seeing signs of that already in the OHL. McLeod exploits the weak defenses at will but has struggled scoring on good teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad