C Michael McLeod (2016, 12th, NJD) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Adjusted for age its about on par with what he did last year. Last year's age and league adjusted ppg was 1.14, this year is 1.11 (with one game left). To keep on par with that, he would need to put up roughly between 110 to 115 over 68 games next season. If he was to play 56 games (because at the very least he should miss some games for NHL camp and WJC), he would need around 95-100. This isn't a situation like Kyrou or Cliff Pu, where their rapid improvement in ppg actually has improved relative to what you expect will naturally occur as a player gets older in junior.

His numbers are fine this year, but I don't think they really move the needle one way or the other on his ability to be a 2nd line or higher center.
I agree with this post.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I mean, his draft +1 numbers are identical to Horvat's. He also didn't play on a super team like Bo. Not saying he's gonna be better but the comp is interesting

Well the difference is that Horvat had no where near the physical traits that Mcleod does. He was an average skater and had to rely on his head to score. Mcleod on the other hand can just blow by the defence and crash the net with his combo of speed/size. It's a good trick on the junior level, but doesn't have a lot of replay value in the pros.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I know they're different players but it's hilarious to see the arguments against McLeod are mirror opposites of the ones certain posters used against Zacha last year.

"Zacha's game will translate well to the pros"
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN POINTS DON'T MATTER HE'S NOT PUTTING UP POINTS WHO CARES ABOUT STYLE"

"McLeod is really putting up a lot of points"
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN STYLE DOESN'T MATTER THERE'S NO WAY HIS GAME WILL TRANSLATE TO THE PROS WHO CARES ABOUT POINTS"

It's almost as if people make up their mind first and then pick and choose which arguments they like.

Imagine a world where different players have different development paths, where a 19 year old isn't defined by the success or failure of other 19 year olds that came before him....what a world that would be.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I know they're different players but it's hilarious to see the arguments against McLeod are mirror opposites of the ones certain posters used against Zacha last year.

"Zacha's game will translate well to the pros"
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN POINTS DON'T MATTER HE'S NOT PUTTING UP POINTS WHO CARES ABOUT STYLE"

"McLeod is really putting up a lot of points"
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN STYLE DOESN'T MATTER THERE'S NO WAY HIS GAME WILL TRANSLATE TO THE PROS WHO CARES ABOUT POINTS"

It's almost as if people make up their mind first and then pick and choose which arguments they like.

Imagine a world where different players have different development paths, where a 19 year old isn't defined by the success or failure of other 19 year olds that came before him....what a world that would be.

Basically the same is said of both prospects. Big guys who can skate but don't have a whole lot of offensive potential.

McLeod's part of his game that will translate is the same that translates for Zacha.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Basically the same is said of both prospects. Big guys who can skate but don't have a whole lot of offensive potential.

McLeod's part of his game that will translate is the same that translates for Zacha.

They aren't similar players whatsoever. Completely different skill sets.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
They're different, in the same way all prospects are different. But the final projection is that of big guys with good skating but limited scoring potential.

No. Zacha was a player with tons of natural ability who was very raw. Enormous ceiling, uncertainty as to how much of it would be actualized. McLeod was a "safe" pick because of his speed and work ethic, with questions as to how high his ceiling is.

They're completely different prospects.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They're different, in the same way all prospects are different. But the final projection is that of big guys with good skating but limited scoring potential.

Zacha was never considered to have 'limited scoring potential'. The question marks were always about whether he could translate his raw skill, which he has a ton of, into a good/great scorer in the NHL.

McLeod has always been considered a safe NHLer with a lower ceiling.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I mean, his draft +1 numbers are identical to Horvat's. He also didn't play on a super team like Bo. Not saying he's gonna be better but the comp is interesting

Horvat was also stuck on the 2nd line in London because they had so many good players. So instead, he was matched against the other teams top line because he was the most suited for that task.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Horvat was also stuck on the 2nd line in London because they had so many good players. So instead, he was matched against the other teams top line because he was the most suited for that task.

Maybe when they were home. You think opposing coaches put their best players against Domi or Horvat ?

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Maybe when they were home. You think opposing coaches put their best players against Domi or Horvat ?

Well Hunter certainly matched him as much as possible against the other teams top lines, playing the tough minutes, taking the defensive faceoffs. He was considered one of the best defensive players in the league for a reason.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Big fan of Michael McLeod, jealous the Devils got him (and a bonus third!) at the draft.

If he improves his shot a little more, and slows his game down on occasion in the O-zone, I see his ceiling as a potential top 6 C with excellent defensive ability, ala Ryan Kesler with slightly better vision.

Would love for McLeod to get some games on the first line in the AHL next year, and an expanded role in Canada's top 6 at the WJCs. He should get the standard 9 NHL games to start the year, but wouldn't want him playing more NHL games than that next year, because a prospect like him needs to see top line minutes all year at this stage of development, and he won't get that in Jersey in 2017.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
McLeod would likely be able to earn a spot in New Jersey next year with his speed and work ethic alone. It also kinda makes sense that he could help the team, since Hynes seems so intent on playing one of Zacha/Henrique at wing.

A line of McLeod, Wood, and Blandisi would be an absolute nightmare to play against. But yeah, I'm more inclined to give him the 9 games and send him back to junior.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

this is the most watered-down analysis i've seen lol.

"yea they're different but final projection is both breathe so they're the same"

i genuinely don't believe you follow either of these prospects in any capacity. in terms of how they were perceived at draft...
Zacha=raw, physical, skilled, scoring
McLeod=speedy, defensive, workhorse

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Two point night and the GWG for McLeod, 5 points in 4 PO games so far. Showing his goal scoring off a bit now, that was his third of the playoffs.

While his floor is still a third line NHL player, if the Devils give him time to develop properly, I'm one of the (admittedly) few who see a ceiling of future top line C with Selke potential. Will be key for him to get good experience, top line ES and PP minutes next year and hopefully some scoring line WJC/AHL exposure before playing full time in the bigs.

Essentially NJD should avoid rushing him into a third-line type role next season in the NHL. Ideally give him preseason and 5-9 games and let him round out his game for one more year.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Two point night and the GWG for McLeod, 5 points in 4 PO games so far. Showing his goal scoring off a bit now, that was his third of the playoffs.

While his floor is still a third line NHL player, if the Devils give him time to develop properly, I'm one of the (admittedly) few who see a ceiling of future top line C with Selke potential. Will be key for him to get good experience, top line ES and PP minutes next year and hopefully some scoring line WJC/AHL exposure before playing full time in the bigs.

Essentially NJD should avoid rushing him into a third-line type role next season in the NHL. Ideally give him preseason and 5-9 games and let him round out his game for one more year.
I went to this game last night, partly to see McLeod live for my first time. I was really impressed. Obviously his blatant speed is the first thing to notice, but I thought his entire game was good. He was consistently involved in all zones of the ice, he showed good vision and passing to find open players and get the puck to them, he went hard to the net, wasn't afraid of the dirty areas in front of the net and along the boards or corners, he threw at least a couple of hits and took a few. The only negative I noticed was that early in the game he missed a clear shot at the net from the left circle by a good couple of feet, making me wonder if perhaps his shooting accuracy isn't all that great.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I went to this game last night, partly to see McLeod live for my first time. I was really impressed. Obviously his blatant speed is the first thing to notice, but I thought his entire game was good. He was consistently involved in all zones of the ice, he showed good vision and passing to find open players and get the puck to them, he went hard to the net, wasn't afraid of the dirty areas in front of the net and along the boards or corners, he threw at least a couple of hits and took a few. The only negative I noticed was that early in the game he missed a clear shot at the net from the left circle by a good couple of feet, making me wonder if perhaps his shooting accuracy isn't all that great.

Nice, thank you for the scouting report. That's basically what I saw of him in Game 1 of these playoffs. Yes his shot was one of his weaker areas at the draft, he has improved in that area quite a bit however. His numbers were better this season (6 more goals in same amount of games) and he seems to be doing OK in the playoffs so far. But it's something that he will have to hone before he takes off as a top 6 NHL player for sure, good news is that prospects can improve their shot a fair amount while in the 18-23yo age range.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I would be happy if he turns into a good 2nd liner and ecstatic if he became a Bryan Little type player.

I think above average 2nd line center is a fair expectation for him and he has the potential to be better.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think if both Mcleod and Zacha both turn out, they will compliment each other well for New Jersey. Add in this year's pick, this is a much needed infusion of skilled youth for the Devils.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
I think if both Mcleod and Zacha both turn out, they will compliment each other well for New Jersey. Add in this year's pick, this is a much needed infusion of skilled youth for the Devils.

Our other top prospects include Rykov who has had a better year than Sergachev and is getting playing time at one of the top clubs in the KHL and Speers and Quenneville who will both be up with the big club next season. So we went from having the unquestionable worst prospect pool in the NHL to an average to above average pool in only two drafts. Well done Shero!

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Damn, it's the Mikey McLeod show today

Edit- Holy crap 4 points in the 2nd period. Has some pretty sick hands and able to pull stuff off at high speeds

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad