C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I don't think it's very reasonable to expect a WHL rookie to put up 2PPG. You do that, you're a clear cut 1OA. I can't remember a modern draft eligible WHL-er who put up 2PPG.

As much as I like Matt, he's just not that guy.

What most are missing with him is that he impacts the game in other ways. He's physical, he can play the PK, he's a takeaway machine, he draws lots of penalties...

For a smol boy he hits pretty damn hard, but no one ever gives him credit for that.

Rossi was also a late birthday which is a notable detail.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
That statement is misleading. He played 34 games in the USHL and four in the AJHL. That's more hockey than 90% of his peers.

Ok.
The statement was a fact. So is yours. There was no intention to mislead.

So tell me then. You’re in Winnipeg. You get the chance to see him. What do you project him as? What’s the floor/ceiling?

Reactions: ORRFForever

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
To me he projects a William Nylander type. No really stylistically but more so a player than a on really good contender is a 3-4th Best forward. A first liner but not your best forward, if that makes sense.

I think he is closer to Marner, not your best forward but probably closer to second than 4th best in his peak (depending on which team he goes to of course).

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he is closer to Marner, not your best forward but probably closer to second than 4th best in his peak (depending on which team he goes to of course).

I think he has a lot of Kyle Conner in him. Probably not as good a finisher but I think a better playmaker.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The statement was a fact. So is yours. There was no intention to mislead.

So tell me then. You’re in Winnipeg. You get the chance to see him. What do you project him as? What’s the floor/ceiling?

Not directed at me but I am also in Winnipeg and have seen him play a lot. I think projects as a similar player to Winnipeg Jet star Kyle Conner. Very nice hands and puck skills, coupled with very good and agile skating. He like Conner scores closer to the net utilizing a quick and accurate shot. He like Conner is good on the forecheck and PK, and is good at holding pucks up using his hands and agility.

Reactions: Shroud of Orrin

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't think it's very reasonable to expect a WHL rookie to put up 2PPG. You do that, you're a clear cut 1OA. I can't remember a modern draft eligible WHL-er who put up 2PPG.

What most are missing with him is that he impacts the game in other ways. He's physical, he can play the PK, he's a takeaway machine, he draws lots of penalties...

For a smol boy he hits pretty damn hard, but no one ever gives him credit for that.

There is 3 months and a few days of difference with their birthdate.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Everytime I watch the Ice, Savoie is terribly easy to contain at 5 on 5. I called some months ago that I couldnt see him as a future center at the pro level, most disagreed with me, well it didnt take long to prove me right, has been playing the wing for a couple of weeks now.

Kid will show some flashs of talent during games, but most of the times, teams have no issue dealing with him. Also, he needs to get close to the net to score goals, wont beat goaltenders from distance since his shot isnt heavy enough. Im not very high on this kid to translate his game at the next level and feel he is being grossly overrated. Cant see him as a top 10 pick going to the draft. A kid like Rossi, similar sized player, went 9th OV and was a much better all around player.
I too see the same thing. He has the vision and ability to be a difference maker but I don't see him having near the rest of the game a top 10 pick should have. I'd disagree on his shooting, he has a great shot, but I think he'll find his home far more comfortably on a PP unit than on a 5 on 5. I said it earlier in this thread but he doesn't drive play on every play at the CHL level, that concerns me for NHL upside. He has great moments and then disappears for a long time. I'll forget he's playing some games until he scores a goal from nowhere.

I didn't think of it but I agree with you that he's probably better suited for the wing. Treating him like a winger actually makes me like him more lol.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I too see the same thing. He has the vision and ability to be a difference maker but I don't see him having near the rest of the game a top 10 pick should have. I'd disagree on his shooting, he has a great shot, but I think he'll find his home far more comfortably on a PP unit than on a 5 on 5. I said it earlier in this thread but he doesn't drive play on every play at the CHL level, that concerns me for NHL upside. He has great moments and then disappears for a long time. I'll forget he's playing some games until he scores a goal from nowhere.

I didn't think of it but I agree with you that he's probably better suited for the wing. Treating him like a winger actually makes me like him more lol.
He has a good shot, but wont beat goaltenders from distance like a pure sniper such as Kemell will.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He has a good shot, but wont beat goaltenders from distance like a pure sniper such as Kemell will.
What I like about his shot is how quick it is. It might not have the power or accuracy of the elite shooters but it's off before you know it's hit the stick at times, to me that's a sign he's gonna get some NHL goals.

Reactions: Goldenhands

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Everytime I watch the Ice, Savoie is terribly easy to contain at 5 on 5. I called some months ago that I couldnt see him as a future center at the pro level, most disagreed with me, well it didnt take long to prove me right, has been playing the wing for a couple of weeks now.

Kid will show some flashs of talent during games, but most of the times, teams have no issue dealing with him. Also, he needs to get close to the net to score goals, wont beat goaltenders from distance since his shot isnt heavy enough. Im not very high on this kid to translate his game at the next level and feel he is being grossly overrated. Cant see him as a top 10 pick going to the draft. A kid like Rossi, similar sized player, went 9th OV and was a much better all around player.
Couldn’t agree more - I have thought the same thing. I actually think his vision/IQ are weaknesses from my viewings. I personally don’t think the game he plays now will translate well to the next level at his size but he certainly has the skill set if he can learn to adapt.

Reactions: Just Linda

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think he's as elusive or has the vision of Marner. There might be 5 or so guys in the league who see the ice and passing lanes the way Marner does. Marner as an undersized 17-year-old absolutely destroyed the OHL. If he realistically projected to be Marner, he would have surpassed Wright by now. Marner is 5th in the league in assists and tied for 9th in total points (ironically with Matthews) since he entered the league as a 19 year old.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think he's as elusive or has the vision of Marner. There might be 5 or so guys in the league who see the ice and passing lanes the way Marner does. Marner as an undersized 17-year-old absolutely destroyed the OHL. If he realistically projected to be Marner, he would have surpassed Wright by now. Marner is 5th in the league in assists and tied for 9th in total points (ironically with Matthews) since he entered the league as a 19 year old.

That's why I said closer to Marner and a 2nd forward on a team than Nylander and 4-5th best forward on a team and of course that's his ceiling not all prospects make it.

While Savoie might not be destroying the WHL in the same manner he also isn't playing with 2 highly drafted future NHLers either so it's hard to go by stats from different leagues in different seasons.

but once again that's why I'm not a big fan of comparisons because it can and should only be made in general terms IMO.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

What people don't understand about him is he's not tall but he's built like a shit brick house. Equipment off he's not a small guy he'll be 200-215 when he finishes growing and fills out. He'll be Crosby's size.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's why I said closer to Marner and a 2nd forward on a team than Nylander and 4-5th best forward on a team and of course that's his ceiling not all prospects make it.

While Savoie might not be destroying the WHL in the same manner he also isn't playing with 2 highly drafted future NHLers either so it's hard to go by stats from different leagues in different seasons.

but once again that's why I'm not a big fan of comparisons because it can and should only be made in general terms IMO.
Marner played with Dvorak and Matt Rupert in his draft year. And, Savoie's team is more stacked than the 2014-15 London Knights. who were sellers at the deadline that year.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Not sure he's a top 10 prospect - but most have him labeled as the best skater in the 2022 draft. That got me thinking - how many of the best skaters in prior classes turned out to be a bust? Some didn't live up to the hype, a lot went #1 OA - but I couldn't think of any flat out busts. Seems like his floor should be pretty high, no?

Reactions: Just Linda

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Not sure he's a top 10 prospect - but most have him labeled as the best skater in the 2022 draft. That got me thinking - how many of the best skaters in prior classes turned out to be a bust? Some didn't live up to the hype, a lot went #1 OA - but I couldn't think of any flat out busts. Seems like his floor should be pretty high, no?

Yeah, guys like Ehlers and Barzal were considered elite level skaters and they both turned out great. There are some instances of it not working out so well for perceived elite skating prospects. Everyone was crazy over Shinkaruk's skating at one time. He wasn't the best in the class, it was a major strength.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
McLeod, though there were were always questions about his offense. Yak was considered to have excellent skating. Pulju. Drouin. Virtanen. Skille.

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Not quite bust but Foudy in Columbus was the fastest in his draft and doesn't project beyond being a bottom 6er.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Terrible assessment.

This guy is miles ahead of Rossi

Top 3 player in the game within 5 years in the NHL. The pure hockey ability , IQ and talent is there.
Heh? Amazing the opinions that are spouted on here. Rossi had 120 pts. in 56 gp his draft year. Savoie 90 pts. in 65 gp. Rossi is a C with good two way play. He is a good skater, albeit one that lacks top end speed. They are both the same height. Rossi has vg to excellent vision, IQ, stick handling, and passing ability.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Heh? Amazing the opinions that are spouted on here. Rossi had 120 pts. in 56 gp his draft year. Savoie 90 pts. in 65 gp. Rossi is a C with good two way play. He is a good skater, albeit one that lacks top end speed. They are both the same height. Rossi has vg to excellent vision, IQ, stick handling, and passing ability.
Im not a big fan of Rossi, I thought he was overrated by the fans who were calling him a top 5 pick in his draft year, but I think you nailed it on the head. Rossi was a far better prospect than Savoie. I wouldn't go as far as Craig Button did and drop Savoie out of the top 15 but I do feel Savoie may definitely fall out of the top 10. I don't see Savoie as a top 10 prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad