C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The Ice are out! They were the favourites. Savoie unfortunately got injured in an earlier round and didn't play against the Oil Kings.
He did play in the first two games of the series but never returned after that collision with a linesman in game 2.

An Oil King and Savoie were racing for a loose puck near the Winnipeg bench, and as Savoie tried to reach for the puck and prepare for oncoming shoulder check by the Oil King player, Savoie got hit by the linesman who was standing in front of their skating lane next to the boards. He went head first to the linesman's hip, I can't tell for sure if it was a shoulder or head injury but initial impact from the hit looked quite bad on the broadcast. Seemed he got up pretty quickly right after the collision but it was clear he wasn't doing well. Soon PBP announcer told he was taken to the locker room by medical staff, IIRC.

I hope it's nothing too serious, and he will be able to participate at the Combine.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
He did play in the first two games of the series but never returned after that collision with a linesman in game 2.

An Oil King and Savoie were racing for a loose puck near the Winnipeg bench, and as Savoie tried to reach for the puck and prepare for oncoming shoulder check by the Oil King player, Savoie got hit by the linesman who was standing in front of their skating lane next to the boards. He went head first to the linesman's hip, I can't tell for sure if it was a shoulder or head injury but initial impact from the hit looked quite bad on the broadcast. Seemed he got up pretty quickly right after the collision but it was clear he wasn't doing well. Soon PBP announcer told he was taken to the locker room by medical staff, IIRC.

I hope it's nothing too serious, and he will be able to participate at the Combine.
If he missed critical playoff games I think he will probably miss testing

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Marco Rossi has to be cut some slack for the time-being seeing as though he missed his ENTIRE D+1 SEASON. He came back and put up nearly a PPG in the AHL. He's on a fine trajectory, still a blue-chipper in my books.

Personally I find Savoie's trajectory to be similar to Travis Konecny. Heralded youths who leveled out in junior for a while and then came back with aplomb. The skill-set is just too high here to not envision the guy as a consistent. long-term NHLer. Konecny has 271 points in 428 games and that is where I could see Savoie's production being at. Time will tell.
I find Savoie to be much more skilled with the puck on his stick than Konecny, with a much better shot.

Reactions: teddygmr and bsu

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
If it's a concussion, teams really have to do their medical homework on him.

I can see him easily dropping outside of top 10 if this is the case.

Going to be a lot of red flags either way I think. Questions about him sticking at center, size and injury.

Still think he will go somewhere in picks 6-10. But he could theoretically drop either way. Really, I think he's a bit too much of a risk to take in the top 10, personally. I'd be very worried if my team drafted him over someone like Nazar, Kemell or even Gauthier.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he drops to 10 I'll be a happy man.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Going to be a lot of red flags either way I think. Questions about him sticking at center, size and injury.

Still think he will go somewhere in picks 6-10. But he could theoretically drop either way. Really, I think he's a bit too much of a risk to take in the top 10, personally. I'd be very worried if my team drafted him over someone like Nazar, Kemell or even Gauthier.

Kemell official height within an inch now of Savoie. Not picking on Kemell but people are making other choices because they feel players like Kemell are bigger and thats not the case.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted 1st Overall by the Winnipeg Ice in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft, the COVID pandemic prevented Matthew Savoie from making a big impact in Manitoba until this season. He scored 35 goals and 55 assists for 90 points in 65 games. Savoie led all WHL rookies in points. He has also added one goal and two assists for three points in his first three WHL playoff games.

In 2020-21 Savoie played in the USHL while the WHL was shut down for most of the year. He put up 21 goals and 17 assists for 38 points in 34 games with the Dubuque Fighting Saints. Savoie was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team. He also played four games for the Sherwood Park Crusaders in the AJHL that season, scoring three goals and three assists for six points before the league was shut down.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No Barzal resemblance?

Quite different players, to me. Barzal is quite a bit bigger and much more of a pass-first player.

Savoie reminds me a lot of a young Zach Parise - smallish but well-built, explosive skater, really quick hands.

Obviously Parise has been a winger in the NHL but he was a C at lower levels and Savoie might have to make the same transition to wing eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad