C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Im not a big fan of Rossi, I thought he was overrated by the fans who were calling him a top 5 pick in his draft year, but I think you nailed it on the head. Rossi was a far better prospect than Savoie. I wouldn't go as far as Craig Button did and drop Savoie out of the top 15 but I do feel Savoie may definitely fall out of the top 10. I don't see Savoie as a top 10 prospect.
I'm sort of like you, despite the fact that my team drafted Rossi. I think he was a good value at #9 oa, as was Perfetti at #10, but before the draft there was talk of both of those players being picked in the top 5 because of their skill, smarts, and ability to produce. He may well end up being a good NHL'er but has struggled with the physicality of the AHL this past year, as has Perfetti.
Who knows? Savoie might be like DeBrincat, and not let his lack of size faze him, or...he could the next Jordan Schroeder.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'm sort of like you, despite the fact that my team drafted Rossi. I think he was a good value at #9 oa, as was Perfetti at #10, but before the draft there was talk of both of those players being picked in the top 5 because of their skill, smarts, and ability to produce. He may well end up being a good NHL'er but has struggled with the physicality of the AHL this past year, as has Perfetti.
Who knows? Savoie might be like DeBrincat, and not let his lack of size faze him, or...he could the next Jordan Schroeder.
That honestly caught me off guard. Perfetti I'm not, Rossi just always came across to me like the type of guy who's very bottom heavy. I thought he'd have a quicker transition but I guess that his speed issues were just too much to overcome (in regards to instant success not long term).

I think Savoie has too many skills to not be effective at least at some level in the nhl. He's got a quick release and passing that tells me he's going to be at least effective as a PP2 guy but I don't see him driving play well enough (not nearly as good as Rossi did) to be an NHL centre.

Call it recency bias but I still see Rossi being a Toffoli in the NHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That honestly caught me off guard. Perfetti I'm not, Rossi just always came across to me like the type of guy who's very bottom heavy. I thought he'd have a quicker transition but I guess that his speed issues were just too much to overcome (in regards to instant success not long term).

I think Savoie has too many skills to not be effective at least at some level in the nhl. He's got a quick release and passing that tells me he's going to be at least effective as a PP2 guy but I don't see him driving play well enough (not nearly as good as Rossi did) to be an NHL centre.

Well, let's give Rossi a break in that he had a life threatening case of Covid(myocarditis), which wiped out a full year of hockey and most os a year off training.
I liken Rossi to Mikael Granlund when he was young, but with a better shot. We'll see how a full summer of health and training improves his game. He was vg in the AHL this year, physicality aside, but ran out of gas in the last month or so.
We'll see about Savoie. If you are small, it is nice to be fast. Can't hit what you can't catch. I do think that Rossi has a different game, though.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

Yea, I think the chances of Savoie ending up an NHL center are actually pretty low. Fairly certain he ends up on the wing. It's a tough call honestly. I see why people rank him so high, and even I think he will go in the top 10 in the draft. But would I want my team drafting him that early? Not really. I'd rather take my chances on a true center like Nazar or even like Geekie or Kasper frankly, or a tougher winger like Kemell or someone like Gauthier or Lekker. Savoie is kind of a weird tweener. And I think he will need to find the ideal situation and linemates to really maximize his abilities. I wouldn't be shocked if he did drop on draft day. And I don't really even see Debrincat. Debrincat plays pretty physical and gets into really dirty areas, on top of using his high end skill. I don't see that with Savoie. And I think Debrincat is a way better goal scorer. They probably around equivalent in playmaking.

I actually worry that Savoie's best comp, might be like, Jeff Skinner, but smaller. And I don't think that's a good thing. One of the players I'm most tentative about in the entire draft.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Yea, I think the chances of Savoie ending up an NHL center are actually pretty low. Fairly certain he ends up on the wing. It's a tough call honestly. I see why people rank him so high, and even I think he will go in the top 10 in the draft. But would I want my team drafting him that early? Not really. I'd rather take my chances on a true center like Nazar or even like Geekie or Kasper frankly, or a tougher winger like Kemell or someone like Gauthier or Lekker. Savoie is kind of a weird tweener. And I think he will need to find the ideal situation and linemates to really maximize his abilities. I wouldn't be shocked if he did drop on draft day. And I don't really even see Debrincat. Debrincat plays pretty physical and gets into really dirty areas, on top of using his high end skill. I don't see that with Savoie. And I think Debrincat is a way better goal scorer. They probably around equivalent in playmaking.

I actually worry that Savoie's best comp, might be like, Jeff Skinner, but smaller. And I don't think that's a good thing. One of the players I'm most tentative about in the entire draft.
Savoie goes to dirty areas and has a high compete level. Not afraid to get hit or throw a hit. Plays the PK too and took a good amount of faceoffs this year, still can project as a center in my opinion. Debrincat is definitely a better goal scorer but this is completely hindsight bias, both players as prospects then savioe is definitely the better passer when compared to where they were at the times. Jeff skinner is a pretty shocking comparison if you want my honest opinion. Savioe may end up on the wing but I think there is 0 chance he ends up as a Jeff skinner type player. Way off with that take.

Reactions: Patty Ice

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
Perfetti didn't struggle. He was promoted and played well with the Jets.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I've never seen Savoie play, know little about him. How is his speed? Quickness? Can he play wing? Is he low ceiling / high offensive upside?
This guy interests me a lot at pick 7.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Perfetti dominated the AHL for the Moose the parts of two seasons he was there and then got promoted to the Jets and was performing very well with Dubois and Conner before he got Injured.

Most Jets fans are incredibly happy with his progress.

Reactions: Huffer and hn777

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Savoie goes to dirty areas and has a high compete level. Not afraid to get hit or throw a hit. Plays the PK too and took a good amount of faceoffs this year, still can project as a center in my opinion. Debrincat is definitely a better goal scorer but this is completely hindsight bias, both players as prospects then savioe is definitely the better passer when compared to where they were at the times. Jeff skinner is a pretty shocking comparison if you want my honest opinion. Savioe may end up on the wing but I think there is 0 chance he ends up as a Jeff skinner type player. Way off with that take.
Not sure what you are watching but I'd call that one of my biggest issues with Savoie. Everytime I've watched him hes been picking his spots in board battles and, outside of a few times later in games, hasn't been engaged in regularly winning in the corners. I'd say, specifically, that him being weaker and easier to move off the puck is a big reason why he's not considered a top 5 pick by many of the people who have him falling in the draft. If he was what you described, his size wouldn't he questioned at all.

He is in the corners lots but that's more him being a perimeter player (not as much as people claim he is though) than it is him being a battler.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I've never seen Savoie play, know little about him. How is his speed? Quickness? Can he play wing? Is he low ceiling / high offensive upside?
This guy interests me a lot at pick 7.

One the fastest players in the draft. Agility and acceleration are standout. Handles the puck well at top speed. Makes every play fast. His edgework is strong, but not standout.

He should play the wing in the NHL.

He has a higher floor than people are giving him credit for. Battles hard. Will be a great PK guy if he lands in the middle of the lineup. Ceiling, top line winger.

Teams are concerned about a few things. He's small, he's had several concussions, he plays loose at times, and he was inconsistent this year.

Personally, I find that he's not particularly creative, which is something I value in top-line players. Jarvis was much more creative, to provide an example.

In the right situation he has the potential to make people look dumb. I'd love to see him go to a team that already has some young, top-flight offensive talent. He could make an impact in Anaheim, Detroit, or Ottawa in the next 2 years.

Less sure of that statement should he land with a bunch of the other lottery teams.

Scroll through here and watch some clips, it's low hanging fruit and will give you an idea of how he plays.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Perfetti dominated the AHL for the Moose the parts of two seasons he was there and then got promoted to the Jets and was performing very well with Dubois and Conner before he got Injured.

Most Jets fans are incredibly happy with his progress.
I watched him a few times. Didn't look dominant to me, and his stats don't back up your assertions.

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
I watched him a few times. Didn't look dominant to me, and his stats don't back up your assertions.
dominate is strong. but he was closer to dominant than he was to struggle.

Jets would'nt have promoted him and let him stick if they saw what you saw in your few viewings.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He was top 3 in the entire league in chance creation and top of all 21 and under players at the time of him going to the WJHC. He put up 15 points in 17 games playing on a team devoid of offensively skilled forwards. He produced at a second line rate while being a possession neutral player when played in Winnipeg's top 6.

I watched every game he played in the AHL and NHL. He had no issue with the physical aspect of pro hockey.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was top 3 in the entire league in chance creation and top of all 21 and under players at the time of him going to the WJHC. He put up 15 points in 17 games playing on a team devoid of offensively skilled forwards. He produced at a second line rate while being a possession neutral player when played in Winnipeg's top 6.

I watched every game he played in the AHL and NHL. He had no issue with the physical aspect of pro hockey.
Homer glasses. He is slight. Good player, but not a dominant AHL'er by any means. Quinn is a guy who was dominant. Perfetti was more like Rossi. VG, but needs time to get stronger and better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Homer glasses. He is slight. Good player, but not a dominant AHL'er by any means. Quinn is a guy who was dominant. Perfetti was more like Rossi. VG, but needs time to get stronger and better.

Not a Homer there are stats to back it up, I'll post them later.

Edit also every player his age needs to get bigger and stronger.

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
you said struggled with the physicality. Complete non sense.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Perfetti was the Moose’s best player when he was there in October and November. Did not have any struggles with physicality. After the WJC went straight to the Jets and never went back down. With Jets he was starting to show how talented he was playing in the top 6 and contributing nightly.

There are a number of statistics that show he was dominant in his short time in the AHL beyond straight points.

Here is one but there are more based on xGF and xGa as well as Corsi and Fenwick that are available through InStat. While he was there he was more dominant than Quinn if you aren’t stat watching only.

1652308665623.jpeg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perfetti was the Moose’s best player when he was there in October and November. Did not have any struggles with physicality. After the WJC went straight to the Jets and never went back down. With Jets he was starting to show how talented he was playing in the top 6 and contributing nightly.

There are a number of statistics that show he was dominant in his short time in the AHL beyond straight points.

Here is one but there are more based on xGF and xGa as well as Corsi and Fenwick that are available through InStat. While he was there he was more dominant than Quinn if you aren’t stat watching only.

View attachment 544709

Well said I was just about to post this. I can't find the IXGF that Jarred posed earlier but he was tops on that one as well from what I recall.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
One the fastest players in the draft. Agility and acceleration are standout. Handles the puck well at top speed. Makes every play fast. His edgework is strong, but not standout.

He should play the wing in the NHL.

He has a higher floor than people are giving him credit for. Battles hard. Will be a great PK guy if he lands in the middle of the lineup. Ceiling, top line winger.

Teams are concerned about a few things. He's small, he's had several concussions, he plays loose at times, and he was inconsistent this year.

Personally, I find that he's not particularly creative, which is something I value in top-line players. Jarvis was much more creative, to provide an example.

In the right situation he has the potential to make people look dumb. I'd love to see him go to a team that already has some young, top-flight offensive talent. He could make an impact in Anaheim, Detroit, or Ottawa in the next 2 years.

Less sure of that statement should he land with a bunch of the other lottery teams.

Scroll through here and watch some clips, it's low hanging fruit and will give you an idea of how he plays.

I think this is a very accurate assessment of Savoie. Particularly agree with the two points that he's not as creative as a top line player could be (I find he gets some tunnel vision going and misses some obvious plays) and that he has a high floor. With his skating, motor and puck skills I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't at least carve out a middle 6 role on the wing. I think I'd also be pretty surprised if he turns into a superstar due to the lack of (what I perceive as) vision/IQ.

Reactions: covfefe

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think this is a very accurate assessment of Savoie. Particularly agree with the two points that he's not as creative as a top line player could be (I find he gets some tunnel vision going and misses some obvious plays) and that he has a high floor. With his skating, motor and puck skills I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't at least carve out a middle 6 role on the wing. I think I'd also be pretty surprised if he turns into a superstar due to the lack of (what I perceive as) vision/IQ.

I'm not sure if he lacks elite IQ or if he just already plays a more pro type game. He plays more in straight lines and weaves in and out of the danger areas. He doesn't really dipsy doodle like other top prospects tend to do opting instead to play a more direct game.

From what I've seen he has the skill and skating to to be a first line winger if he can translate his current direct style to the NHL. At his size it likely wont come easy but I think he has that potential.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Rossi an inch shorter, not as fast, worse shot. Also a late-birthday, so that explains some of the statistical differences.
I think Marco Rossi has to be cut some slack for the time-being seeing as though he missed his ENTIRE D+1 SEASON. He came back and put up nearly a PPG in the AHL. He's on a fine trajectory, still a blue-chipper in my books.

Personally I find Savoie's trajectory to be similar to Travis Konecny. Heralded youths who leveled out in junior for a while and then came back with aplomb. The skill-set is just too high here to not envision the guy as a consistent. long-term NHLer. Konecny has 271 points in 428 games and that is where I could see Savoie's production being at. Time will tell.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Marco Rossi has to be cut some slack for the time-being seeing as though he missed his ENTIRE D+1 SEASON. He came back and put up nearly a PPG in the AHL. He's on a fine trajectory, still a blue-chipper in my books.

Personally I find Savoie's trajectory to be similar to Travis Konecny. Heralded youths who leveled out in junior for a while and then came back with aplomb. The skill-set is just too high here to not envision the guy as a consistent. long-term NHLer. Konecny has 271 points in 428 games and that is where I could see Savoie's production being at. Time will tell.
I'm not saying Rossi is bad. Just explaining the differences between the two. I think Savoie is the better prospect. If Rossi is the 9th best prospect in a draft, where he was picked, I think Savoie is about five slots higher in a draft.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I would not count out the possibility of Arizona choosing Savoie at 3. That connection with Guenther was something incredible; if they see him as potentially sticking at C, I think that’s a highly likely choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad