C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why has their stock taken a hit?

Well Miro just got diagnosed with Hodgkins-Lymphoma and both of them are currently playing in Russia where a leader is about to declare Martial Law and can very well make it difficult/near impossible for russian citizens to leave the country, let alone athletes.

Reactions: Nowotny

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Well Miro just got diagnosed with Hodgkins-Lymphoma and both of them are currently playing in Russia where a leader is about to declare Martial Law and can very well make it difficult/near impossible for russian citizens to leave the country, let alone athletes.
Just saw the sickness news. Awful news.

Yurov would likely play another year or two in russia regardless so don't think world events affect him as much as you think. But hey, we know hockey GM's aren't logical beings so perhaps you're right.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just saw the sickness news. Awful news.

Yurov would likely play another year or two in russia regardless so don't think world events affect him as much as you think. But hey, we know hockey GM's aren't logical beings so perhaps you're right.

If you're drafting in the top ten, you'd have to be completely assured of Yurov's potential over others to take on the risk right now (this can change come draft day). I really don't see a scenario where Savoie slips out of the top 10.

Reactions: wetcoast

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If you're drafting in the top ten, you'd have to be completely assured of Yurov's potential over others to take on the risk right now (this can change come draft day). I really don't see a scenario where Savoie slips out of the top 10.
Agree now with the Miro news.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's also now very difficult for NHL teams to send scouts to Russia, and they won't be able to scout them at marquee events like the U-18's. It probably won't hurt massive prospects like Michkov, but it will hurt most of their stocks. Not all teams have scouts in Russia, and not all teams are going to be comfortable drafting guys people higher up on the scouting poll haven't checked over in person.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's also now very difficult for NHL teams to send scouts to Russia, and they won't be able to scout them at marquee events like the U-18's. It probably won't hurt massive prospects like Michkov, but it will hurt most of their stocks. Not all teams have scouts in Russia, and not all teams are going to be comfortable drafting guys people higher up on the scouting poll haven't checked over in person.

It will definitely impact some of the lower rated Russians the most but I do think it will impact Yurov's stock a bit too. You're making a big investment in the top 15 as a non-playoff team, so you've gotta be super comfortable on your read there if you're going to forego someone around the same talent level without all the political uncertainty.

Will be interesting.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It will definitely impact some of the lower rated Russians the most but I do think it will impact Yurov's stock a bit too. You're making a big investment in the top 15 as a non-playoff team, so you've gotta be super comfortable on your read there if you're going to forego someone around the same talent level without all the political uncertainty.

Will be interesting.
I expect it to impact Yurov. I specifically mentioned Michkov since he's such a massive prospect that it would be hard to see him significantly slip out of the top 5 next year unless his game completely implodes.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I expect it to impact Yurov. I specifically mentioned Michkov since he's such a massive prospect that it would be hard to see him significantly slip out of the top 5 next year unless his game completely implodes.
Yeah he's good enough where teams will invest heavily to find ways to get him out of Russia.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Absolutely, Michkov has the same risk attached to him now as he did before with the long contract.. no one is going to pass up on an opportunity of a prospect of his ability except for Bedard, unless some of the other guys cover a vast amount of space between now and then.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada

If im a GM drafting at positions 5-10 the war in Europe would have absolutely 0 impact if I took a player from Russia. Im drafting best player available in that spot and dont care if he can come over for 2 or 3 years. Those are positions where you should be drafting for 2 or 3 years down the road anyway and if the conflict isnt over in 3 or 4 years no one will be playing hockey anyhow.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
If the top guys are Wright, Cooley, Kemell, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek then Savoie is absolutely in that mix and likely to go anywhere from 2-8. I say it's a very, very good chance he goes inside the top 10 even though he has slowed down.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If the top guys are Wright, Cooley, Kemell, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek then Savoie is absolutely in that mix and likely to go anywhere from 2-8. I say it's a very, very good chance he goes inside the top 10 even though he has slowed down.

Is he just getting back puck luck or has his play declined?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I thought that was one of his better games in a while. He took things into his own hands with McLennon and Geekie out and willed his team to a big comeback win. Winnipeg's played poorly lately and a loss yesterday could've really shaken their confidence.

Reactions: Frk It

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I thought that was one of his better games in a while. He took things into his own hands with McLennon and Geekie out and willed his team to a big comeback win. Winnipeg's played poorly lately and a loss yesterday could've really shaken their confidence.

I was at that game. Yeah, Winnipeg was a structural mess.

I was focusing mostly on him this game, I'm trying hard to understand where he fits in the top 10. I also wanted to watch Geekie but I didn't know he wasn't playing before I got there (why was he out lol).

He's great with the puck on his stick for sure, that first goal especially was something most people in juniors wouldn't score. He was elusive in the third and had an insanely good forehead shift in the first. And then the rest of the game I found to be average.

I don't see him becoming an NHL play driver, I don't see him developing into a top of the lineup player. I do see him becoming an nhler though, he's got the skills in him.

I can honestly see him slip to the mid teens in the draft, it's so easy to justify taking other picks ahead of him but so hard to count him out.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I was at that game. Yeah, Winnipeg was a structural mess.

I was focusing mostly on him this game, I'm trying hard to understand where he fits in the top 10. I also wanted to watch Geekie but I didn't know he wasn't playing before I got there (why was he out lol).

He's great with the puck on his stick for sure, that first goal especially was something most people in juniors wouldn't score. He was elusive in the third and had an insanely good forehead shift in the first. And then the rest of the game I found to be average.

I don't see him becoming an NHL play driver, I don't see him developing into a top of the lineup player. I do see him becoming an nhler though, he's got the skills in him.

I can honestly see him slip to the mid teens in the draft, it's so easy to justify taking other picks ahead of him but so hard to count him out.

I share some of your concerns. He's given us a tale of two seasons. When he's on, he's dynamite. But that's been the case less frequently from mid-Dec.

Will be watching closely, it's a long season and I've seen so many guys go through a funk and come through the other side. And vice-versa. That's the fun part.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I share some of your concerns. He's given us a tale of two seasons. When he's on, he's dynamite. But that's been the case less frequently from mid-Dec.

Will be watching closely, it's a long season and I've seen so many guys go through a funk and come through the other side. And vice-versa. That's the fun part.
In his defense, he's on a very strong team and there is only one puck.

But, I agree, his production has been lacking in the last couple months.

Edit : I pulled up his individual game stats and they're not bad - even after Christmas. He's been consistent, just no BIG games.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
In his defense, he's on a very strong team and there is only one puck.

But, I agree, his production has been lacking in the last couple months.

Edit : I pulled up his individual game stats and they're not bad - even after Christmas. He's been consistent, just no BIG games.

That's a part of my biggest red flag for assessing him; the Ice play like a team of good players. Their structure is so bad but they keep winning. Seeing them set up in the ozone is painful, it's 3 players standing still, one player with the puck trying to cycle it, and one player moving to be his only option. Dmen play so high on the blue line that there's just no threat. Yet they still manage to create broken plays and win games.

Last night they were dominated for the most part by a far inferior team and yet they had the skill to tie it up and win it (nice comeback though, they made a slogging game exciting at the end).

He's really a mirror of the team and I don't know how to evaluate that. He fails the eye test until he doesn't.

I had a scout spend an hour trying to convince me he's the next RNH but I don't know, I just really don't see it.

/rant... Ice are a weird team

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's a part of my biggest red flag for assessing him; the Ice play like a team of good players. Their structure is so bad but they keep winning. Seeing them set up in the ozone is painful, it's 3 players standing still, one player with the puck trying to cycle it, and one player moving to be his only option. Dmen play so high on the blue line that there's just no threat. Yet they still manage to create broken plays and win games.

Last night they were dominated for the most part by a far inferior team and yet they had the skill to tie it up and win it (nice comeback though, they made a slogging game exciting at the end).

He's really a mirror of the team and I don't know how to evaluate that. He fails the eye test until he doesn't.

I had a scout spend an hour trying to convince me he's the next RNH but I don't know, I just really don't see it.

/rant... Ice are a weird team
When it's a stacked team, where does one player's talent end and when does another player's talent begin?

Sometimes it's easier to judge a good player on a poor team - because he sinks/swims on his own.

I don't see RNH but he's seen him more than I have and I can live with RNH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad